Mountain Lion at Whiting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigTex, Jul 10, 2012.

1. dburdett

dburdett Member

www.dbMediaGroup.net
    Home Page:
    While there was a tail, it wasn't that kind of tail. I was coming down stagecoach in Laguna toward the bottom of Willow just before the 73. I came around a turn I saw it cross the trail jump into the bushes . I thought it was awful big for a bobcat. I checked when I got home and evidently bobcats don't have long tails. This wasn't a bobcat. It look about the same size as my 80lb boxer (dog).

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I believe the big difference on how people react to this situation has much to do about where a person was raised. Those of us that grew up in a rural forested areas around farms and ranches perceive the danger very differently. Those that grew up near Disneyland seem, in my option, to be naive concerning this issue.

3. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I run into quite a few regulars in El Moro and LCWP. Irvine PD is patrolling the north side of the 73 and the open space there. Having talked to many of them numerous times, nobody has found evidence of a big cat in the San Joaquin Hills for nearly a decade....and its not for a lack of monitoring equipment, field surveys, wildlife traps, or other things that would otherwise record the passage of a big kitty.

Bobcats there are exceptionally well fed and large, and they all have tails in the 8"-12" range. Mountain Lions have tails that are at least half of their body length. Pretty big difference. I've seen both in my time, and the ones in the SJH's are bobcats.

Once you have a pic that says otherwise, then it becomes a top news story that one made it through miles of suburbia and drainage control to establish an isolated territory.

Whiting...that will always be a part of the territory, just like Old Camp and Blackstar...plenty of food and year-round water.

4. dburdett

dburdett Member

www.dbMediaGroup.net
    Home Page:
    I was surprised to see something that big in that area. Maybe I'm wrong. But that cat was significantly bigger than the coyotes, but not what I would consider a full grown mountain lion. This tail was long for what I would expect from a bobcat. Maybe I just found one with a longer tail.

5. dstepper

Home Page:
    Juvenile male mountain lions are driven out or killed by stronger older male lions. Seeing a small male lion in Whitting is a sign of over population of lions in our local forests.

6. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    About time for me to chime in on this thread since I was there last night. There was a rather large group of us... approx 15-17 riders. Came down into Sleepy Hollow and was stopped by another rider who had spotted the lion down in the creek bed laping water. Although he was hard to see at first since he wasn't moving... just staring at us and laping water... sort of erie. Most lions would have run off at the sight of 16 mountain bikers all standing around and staring... he didn't... just kept looking at us as though he was sizing each one up for diner. I wasn't worried, grasshoppers, as I wasn't the slowest one in the group. WE stood there for at least 5-7 minutes... he never moved... just kept laping water and staring (get the picture) .Little alarm bells started going off in my mind and it was time to go. Several in the group volunteered to report the incident to the rangers... the last thing I heard the lion say was "Send Divert over... yum yum!"

7. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

Since I'm usually just trying to clear the turns, I'm not that familiar with the greenery on Sleepy Hollow. In relation to the trail (as you are on it), is it on the right or the left? Upper part of the trail, or just before the shaded canopy?

8. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    The lion was down in the creek bed on the left side of the trail about 20 yards away from the trail. It was in the shaded part of the trail just before the quick up and dogleg left section.

9. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

My son was in a group last year and saw a lion in the exact same area. It was during our weekly Wednesday night Whiting-Luge ride. Same m.o.: just looked at them and sauntered away.

10. snownow

snownow Too slow

a friend went to ride last night and.... closed... no word on today.

Whiting Ranch: Serrano Cow Trail closed at Whiting Ranch

OC Parks Rangers have placed Mountain Lion sighting signs at all official park entrances and have temporarily closed the Serrano Cow Trail as a precaution while we investigate multiple mountain lion sightings that have occurred over the past few days. We apologize for the inconvenience but ask that you please respect the trail closure. Flyers with suggestions on what to do if you encounter a mountain lion are always available at the Borrego Canyon and Glenn Ranch trailheads.

11. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    My sister lives in Foothill Ranch in the hills above the Borrego Trail off Rue de Fortuna for those who know the area streets.. she commented to me that a couple of her neighbors had mentioned a couple of recent lion sightings.. sounds like this could be the same little guy perhaps.. I would not wanna run into the smallest lion during a solo ride or ride with my son.. anyway, I guess we always are aware that they are prone to be in that area, and beyond.. Luge, etc, so I guess it's not too much of a shock. The concern is like noted earlier, when a group of 15 plus is getting the stare down and no signs of fear, I'd want no part of that cat.. guess my next solo ride will be Aliso..:)

12. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    LakeForest Patch: Mountain Lion Spotted in Whiting Ranch

13. dstepper

Home Page:
    Maybe Pat Higa should talk to OC Parks before he makes statements leading people to believe it was a isolated indecent.

14. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

Hey, McG715, I live in Foothill also. Let your sister know that I saw a coyote walking the backyard fence line above Borrego looking into peoples yards for a meal I'm assuming.
    I don't think the cat is staring down. It doesn't feel threatened and we people, for the most part, don't look and smell like food. There are lots of deer down there that taste better than I would. I'm full of gristle.

15. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    It seems they have packs of coyotes early am on a regular basis which are close by.. they don't seem to even mention coyotes.. they're used to it.. the Lion was something that their attention more but yes you're right lots of deer in the area make for better meals than we would. Personally I would like to see one up close like that but not while riding solo, and I tend to never rider with groups of 15 people where you'd feel some strength in numbers..

16. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    That trail is pretty boring to me. With the fact that there is a mountain lion roaming around it makes it a little more exciting, Don't you think? I'm thinking of riding out there again while wearing my new "Race" kit.

[​IMG]

shitty

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  17. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I wouldn't report the lion any more than I would report a rattlesnake, a coyote, a bear or a bobcat.
    I would report a swarm of bees though. That's got to be more dangerous to a newbie biker or a hiker than a lion sipping water in a canyon.

They live amongst us when we ride or hike. You should assume they see you even when you don't see them. Should we just kill them or trap them and move them? No. With all due respect, thats alarmist thinking Dean. You may have grown up in the woods in a place populated by them but your'e still here and I don't see any claw scars on you.

In fact, I've heard about more people in all my years of riding that have been injured or died from snake bite than lion attack.
    Same with sharks. Kill them all? Nobodys talking about killing all the sharks and people still risk it by going in the ocean.They attack instinctually as opposed to a lion which usually attacks when it's ill. Usually, not always!

As for kids in the forest, any parent that lets their kid run off or any hiker/biker that lets their trail dog go with them is asking for trouble at some point. Maybe it'll get them, maybe it won't, but I know two people personally that lost their dogs to coyotes on the trail.
    Where were the lions? probably stalking a deer...or drinking water and wondering why everyone was looking at it.

So we can accept the fact that we could possibly be a meal or get seriously injured by a big cat and use the common sense that was given to us by knowing and being prepared for a situation when we hike or bike in the back country or we can be scared and decide they should all be killed or moved. While they are at it, move the snakes and coyotes too. Oh yeah, and don't get in a car because you are more likely to die that way than by animal attack.

18. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I don't disagree with you.. by the time they are seen, they've been scoping you since long before.. For me personally, I don't think they need to be moved or hunted/killed by any means, we're in their space, I get it. I think the notification/warning process is enough just to make people aware so they aren't being careless with dogs, kids, etc and are served a reminder of what's out there in case they get lazy and forget. Luckily we don't hear of attacks often at all, but with Whiting's history of being one of the areas with documented attacks and death as a result, I am always looking around in there just a little differently than I do in other parks..

19. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    It is my understanding that the mountain lion attack years ago which killed Mark Reynolds was in this specific area of Sleepy Hollow. Articles state it was on Cactus Hill trail, but I have also been told it was Sleepy Hollow where it ends at Whiting road. Does anyone know the specific site of this unfortunate incident?

20. bing!

bing! Active Member

never ridden there.

if i saw a lion deep in the trail, none issue. if i saw a lion a few miles from the trail head, in high traffic areas, i think it deserves a report. whiting has history of fatal lion attacks. nothing wong with caution. its not as if there is no other place for a ride. a minor inconvenience.