Glendora Mountain Road ride-Sunday

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Not sure of all the particulars yet, but it looks like for now we will be starting here in Fontana then riding to Glendora then going up that side to descend back down on Mt Baldy Rd. Anyone can jump in along the way if they are interested. Shorter ride of approximately 80 miles, but we will end up with over 7K of climbing.

2. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Gmr

I did the dirty version of that ride this past w/e. Went all the way up Monroe Truck Trail and to Big Dalton. I was over looking GMR up the trail. Word is they will have all the roads repaired and are opening up GMR in June to traffic. Good time to get your road rides in.

[​IMG]
    Here's the view I had of Glendora Mt Rd this weekend. It was a perfect day for riding.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Well git your road bike gurl and jump on in. The waters fine!

4. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I wanna do this but Sundays are usually tough. Let me see how it goes.

5. CC

Haha! It's been awhile since I've been on my road bike. I'll definitely think about it. Sunday's are hard for me, but once in awhile I can work something out. I'll let you know.

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Shorter ride of 80miles? Cheezus! I just started training on the road. Did 55 miles in just under 4 hours (w/breaks) and it totally wiped me out. I've got a long road ahead so to speak. Let me check back with you Pain Freak in a few months for one of these rides.

7. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    im in mike, cyclecc lets go lets go ! gurp stop making excuses and just ride man! :)

8. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    I might see you out there Mike and Co. I'll be doing Glendora then East Fork and the I'll probably head over to Baldy before riding back to the start.

9. gurp13

High School Teacher
    That's big talk coming from you! Puhleeze!

10. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    :lol:

11. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

what time are you guys starting at the bottom of gmr? i might be riding in from downey at the 605/5.

i might ride up to gmr/east fork then ride down hwy 39.

i'll probably be riding fixed. but, i might be mixing road and dirt on the cx bike....not sure what my exact plans are for sun.

cheers. :beer:

12. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Nice! Let us know what time you're going and I'll meet you at the base of the climb.

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    We are still up in the air for a start time from Fontucky, but we will probably get out of here around 6:30 which would put us at the bottom of GMR around 8 to 8:30. Then let the climbing begin!

I went out this evening after work to give the legs a little recovery ride. As I left the house I thought climbing this grade is ridiculously easy tonight. I wonder what gives??? So I continued on my normal route and was really amused at how fast I was going. Maybe that double took me up a level or two? I rounded a corner and seen a lot of the guys from my roadie club going the other way, just finishing their ride while I was really almost just starting.Man, I was so stoked at how easy it was climbing Lytle Creek Rd. I thought, this is the easiest it's ever been. I couldn't turn around I just kept going, even knowing that now I'd have to ride home some in the dark. Finally I told myself enough and I turned around to head home and thats when it hit me. Headwind!!! I had been pushed almost the entire ride there. What I normally ride at a steady pace of 25 mph downhill, now I was peddeling my arse off and was having a hard time maintaining 18 and I was going down hill. And it was freekin cold. Still it turned out to be one of my fastest times getting to the little town and I wasn't pushing it. Good ride.

14. gurp13

High School Teacher
    LOL, Mike, funny how the wind can make a HUGE difference.

Oh, BTW, I'M IN!!! I'm doing this ride with ya, brother. I'll be bringing several water bottles, Gu gel and some Tums, dude.

15. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    okay, i dont think i can make it then... (here comes the excuse, oh i have to think of one.. hmmmm :))

16. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I'll probably just meet the pack at the base of the climb. There is a possiblilty of a friend of mine and I doing a 120mi. loop around the beach, but it probably won't happen. He just finished up a 275 mile ride this last weekend, so he needs some recovery miles ;)

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Ride went off anyways with a bunch of people bailing out. It ended up with Mr Bonk and myself, but he was riding his fixie. That guy's a stud! He climbed the whole thing with no rest stops. And he still just kept going. Probably the fastest we've ever got to the top and for the first time ever I can say GMR was easy. I'm not kidding you, I thought it was very easy. Maybe because I had to hold up some for the fixie, but we still rode very fast all the way up.

We will be doing this again next week as we are still working on climbing. I'm trying to talk everyone into a Saturday ride though. I'll also be doing training rides going up Lytle Creek Rd at 6 pm on Tuesday's and maybe Thursday's.

18. gurp13

High School Teacher
    I may have to join you on either the Lytle ride or whatever you're riding on the weekend. I was BEAT this morning. Prom went well but we ended up staying until the last kids left and helping clean up the place. We got home a little after two ayy em and I didn't get to bed until 3am. I could barely keep my eyes open and was actually sleeping through my alarm when my wife shook me awake. No way I could have made it. But, my bike is lubed and water bottles filled so I'm ready to go for the next ride! :D Glad you guys enjoyed it.

19. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I would go, but I need an exact time to meet with you guy at. I wasn't sure if this was happening for sure.

20. CC

Mike, where are you guys meeting for Lytel creek ride? I might be able to make it on Thrusday. I used to do a ride up there and it would be good to get back out on the road bike.