Yeti Team News...No More Blenkinsop!!!

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by project_d, Dec 3, 2009.

1. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Interesting news. The most interesting news is the addition of Scott Sharples to the team. Look for Gwin to be top 5 this year!

Blenkinsop parts with Yeti Cycles

GOLDEN, Colorado (transcendmagazine.com) -- We just received word in that Sam Blenkinsop is off of Yeti Cycles for the 2010 season.
    No official word yet on where the young ripper will end up, but as he is a 23 degrees athlete, you can bet he will end up on a well structured team for next season. Our money is on Giant or Trek along with a few other 23 Degrees athletes.
    -------
    Yeti Cycles, who has perennially fielded one of the strongest teams on the World Cup mountain bike circuit, announced the 2010 Yeti / Fox Racing Shox Factory team roster today.

Returning will be six-year team veteran, Jared Graves, who dominated the 2009 World Cup circuit in four-cross, winning the World Cup Overall and World Championships. American downhill prodigy, Aaron Gwin, who finished top ten overall in World Cup standings in just his second year racing mountain bikes, will also be on board and will be focused on adding to his podium count next season. Young gun, Sam Blenkinsop, will race for another team for the 2010 season.

“Sam has raced for us the last two years and had great success under our program,” said Chris Conroy, Yeti’s president. “While it is always bittersweet to see a rider like Sam move on, he has been presented a great opportunity with another team and we wish him the best of luck,” said Conroy.

Yeti has a long track record of developing young riders and this will play into the team dynamics for next season. “Fortunately, we have a strong development program and this will give one of our younger riders more experience on the world stage,” Conroy said. Most notably, Colorado native, Joey Schusler, will be given and opportunity to try his mettle on the World Cup circuit this year.

To bolster the team support, Yeti will add Scott Sharples to the program to help manage the team, mentor the racers, and provide coaching support to all levels of the program. Sharples was previously the Australian National Team coach, and has coached some of the best gravity riders in the sport. Additionally, Yeti will add a strength and conditioning coach, who will be named later. Damion Smith will remain as Team Manager.

“We’re committed to building our team for long-term success,” Conroy said. “We believe these key staff additions will give our riders the best support in industry and pay big dividends down the road.”

Yeti Cycles is a high-end mountain bike company, based in Golden, Colorado. The company has nearly twenty-five years of racing experience and focuses its product development on making racers go faster.

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    A long list of major talent becomes famous on a Yeti, then moves on to the larger paycheck - Tomac, Furtado, Giove, Rennie, Blenkinsop (and many more). Conroy tells me "The Big Guys can always write a bigger check." He's excited about a Colorado rider named Joey Schusler.

So where did Blinky go? Did he follow Leov to Trek? Become a part of The Syndicate, making them unstoppable? Link up with the other Sam at Special-Ed? Fade into obscurity with Morewood?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  3. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

wow, that's a bummer..... Trek might be a good call, he loved riding with Leov....????????

4. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Go Joey!!!

5. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

all i saw in that was.... AMERICA!!!!! hell yeah! gwin!!!!

6. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Sam is now on LaPierre. Who the hell saw that comin'???

From declinemagazine.com:

Sam Blenkinsop Makes The Move To Lapierre

[​IMG]

After several years on Team Yeti, Sam Blenkinsop has signed with Lapierre for 2010 as the leader of their three-man DH squad, which also includes ten-time World Champ Nicolas Vouilloz.

Lapierre has been an active member of the international race circuit for many years now. For 2010 the French company has decided to take their sponsoring activities to the next level in order to reflect their export ambitions by creating a new “Team Lapierre International”, composed of the world’s best DH and Enduro riders.

DH Riders:

Sam Blenkinsop (NZ):
    A young rider (21 years old), Sam already has a long list of podiums and even a World Cup victory under his belt. Talented, humble, and fast, Sam will be the leader of the new DH team.

“I’m excited to ride for Lapierre next season. It’s going to be great to ride alongside 10 times World Champ Nico Vouilloz, someone I really respect. I’m really looking forward to getting to know everyone on the team. I reckon the bike is the best looking bike out there and I can’t wait to start testing next month. After learning so much with my last team, I’m really look forward to this new chapter in my career with Lapierre”.

Sam is personally sponsored by Adidas Eyewear, Five Ten and Skull Candy.

[​IMG]
    Nicolas Vouilloz (shown above, FR):
    Know as E.T. on the race circuit, the nickname is more than fitting for the man known for his incredibly clean speed. Nicolas has decided to participate in the 2010 Enduro races, along with a selection of prestigious rally car races (Monte Carlo and San Remo). Known for his attention to detail, you’ll also probably catch him hanging out at the DH race paddocks this year in his role as product developer for Lapierre…

Nicolas is personally sponsored by Bos Suspensions and the Alpe d’Huez ski and MTB resort.

[​IMG]
    Sam Flockhart (UK):
    Even though he was still in the junior category last year, Sam finished 15th in the overall of the Maxxis Cup in 2009! Determined, a hard worker, and virtually fearless, Lapierre has added this young and talented British rider to its roster. His main objective will be to learn from his more experienced teammates, Sam and Nico.

Cross country riders:
    The XC team will be composed of three French riders: Alexis Vuillermoz , Cécile Ravanel, and Cédric Ravanel. All three riders finished the 2009 season strong and will continue to work towards the upcoming Olympic Games in London.

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Lapierre? He dumped us for the Frenchies? Oh...the horror! :eek: :eek:

8. bwolmarans

bwolmarans The perfect look.

I'm so disappointed he didn't move to Zumbi.