What's the fastest way to break in a new replacement disc??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by McG715, May 1, 2014.

1. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Just looking for some input on whether or not there is a quick way to break in a new disc? Ryan had some bad warping on his rear Formula 180MM disc, so I replaced them both yesterday with ICE Tech 180MM discs. He says his brakes don't work as well now.. I told him he just needs to break them in because they are new and then there should be no difference.. we are riding SS this Sunday and I assume a run or two will have those discs broken in quickly.. is there anything else we can do in the mean time other than riding and braking? Thanks, Jim

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Just Disc... or Disc and Pads... with real XT rotors and pads I find about 10-20 runs and hard stops up and down the street do it these days.. the days of long brake break in periods seem over to me.

Oh... Have FUN!

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

New pads are recommended with new rotors...

I've had good luck bedding rotors in the streets... Start with gradual speed and slow to a crawl with the brakes (don't stop)... Next, Start increasing speed and get harder on the brakes without making a complete stop... Then get to a point where you are sprinting and then hammering on the brakes... It's a fun work out...

Finally, find a safe DH section in the streets and session it a few times with hard pulses on the brakes to really get them nice and hot... Should be nice and grabby after that...

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

This is what i do. My Juicy's stop me just fine and no noise. I am huffing and puffing by the time i'm done with this though.

5. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thanks.. it's just the discs I replaced yesterday but the pads were already fairly new and very recently replaced.. looks like it's just the typical bedding process I expected.. just wasn't sure if someone had a quick trick.. I will get him on it today and tomorrow, and if that doesn't get it, a few runs at SS should do the trick :)

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

Ive dragged the brakes while mashing the granny to get some brake material on the rotors. But nothing beds in rotors more than a few cruises down a hill and progressive braking.

7. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    [​IMG]

Just make sure you're not going to run off into cross traffic while bedding in the pads.

8. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    Same here. Get up to speed on the road and perform back-to-back progressively harder stops from higher and higher speeds. When first installing I also make sure to wipe the rotors down with isopropyl alcohol before first braking application. While it's usually recommended to change pads and rotors at the same time I haven't had any issues replacing (swapping/upgrading) rotors and keeping the same pads as long as the old rotor surface is uniformly flat.