What would you do? Opinions PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Chaos, Jun 2, 2006.

1. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Well yeah, just a little:rolleyes:

I was only saying I hate driving a car as compared to driving my SUV

2. killa Cali Kid

killa Cali Kid I meant to do that!

hands down get the f'n truck. Got rid of my car for Tacoma a few years back and never regretted the decision. Only typical concern is gas milage and comped to your car, tacos do just as well.

My lifestyle is like your boarding, Mtn biking and life is sooooooooo much easier with the truck.

As far a trade in. do you research on line and the car salesmen/dealership to f themselves if they don't give you a decent trade on your car. You are in a decent postion as it looks like from ads inventory on truck is backing up at dealerships. I bet you get a decent price on the truck as well.

Good luck

3. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    If you decide to get a "beater" Tacoma do NOT get one with the 3.0 liter V6, that is probably the worst engine Toyota ever made. Way underpowered and they all blow headgaskets.

The M3 is a sweet car, although me personally since I'm a mechanic I would never buy a BMW, Mercedes, Audi...etc. The Japanese just engineer their cars to last and are a hell of a lot easier to work on. I'm kind of in the same boat, I have an '88 CRX with TONS of mods on it and also a Civic with about 300hp. I need to sell my CRX which was my first car and my "baby" but it just isn't practical anymore. I also want a Tacoma and the new 4.0 liter V6 is a very nice motor. The 3.4 V6 was a HUGE step up from the 3.0 but the 4.0 is another big leap forward. Toyota definately makes the best "mid" sized truck imo. Now I just have to break down and put my CRX up for sale :(

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Civic with about 300hp

WTF? How do you keep it from becoming airborn?

5. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    Thanks to everyone that has given their opinions! They were split almosts in half but the edge went to getting the truck.

After much debate and discussion with my wife I've decided to keep the M3. She has agreed to switch vehicles with me whenever I need the 4X4. Admittedly she says she doesn't like driving the M3 only becaue she's pregnant, since she's due any day now... hopefully things will be different. Perhaps that's why I would always feel guilty when I asked to take her SUV.

So some other factors that had me thinking, which is a big thing for me at least. The Dbl Cab 4x4 Taco[shortbed] is 208" long... holy cow didn't realize how long trucks are. That's a good 31" longer than the M3 and still longer than the Sequoia by 4". I am one of those people who must park their vehicles inside the garage... that being said I could not fit the Taco inside with the plans i have to "finish" my garage. This is something I don't I can comprise on. I just can't spend that kind of money on personal possessions only to have to park it outside. I understand some people do and must, but I just can't for myself. This is the deal breaker for me.

But oh how I do still want a truck. Perhaps one day when if I ever get into a house with a 3 car garage, but not in this market here in SoCal.

Anyways, I'd really like to thank everyone for their opinions. It was nice to read what other's thoughts were. Some definitely helped while others just made me want a truck even more.

-Rodel

6. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I have a full size pickup with camper shell. Very handy for bike, ski, board transport. Also great for most home improvement needs like dirt, lumber, etc. I don't think the mileage is much different compared to a Tacoma or mid-size truck.

7. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Yeah really. I had no idea we had the soup can muffler crowd on these boards. Too Fast & Too Furious. LOL

8. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

I bought a 99 Dakota extended cab two years ago to save the interior of my GTI from MTB wear'n'tear. I've owned up to four cars/trucks at one time, and the pick-up was always the daily driver. If I had one vehicle, it'd be the truck, hands down. Mileage isn't bad either @ 15/22 for a 4.0 V6 2wd. Wouldn't touch a full-size here in SoCal - gas is expensive enough. Love having a sporty car to scoot around in, lowered and chipped gets better mileage than stock! Glad you're getting the best of both worlds.

9. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Rob's car is nicely done - very understated. No large annoying wing or that kind of stuff. Just nice, clean, and definitely fast. He works as a mechanic and did the work on his own. Think he turbo'd it.

10. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    hehehe
    I'm sure the only wheels leaving the ground nowadays are Rob's I9s. :bang:
    which by the way i'm still waiting for my set ](*,) ](*,)

11. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    I'm just stereotyping. When my wife had her '96 Accord, the thought did cross my mind to build the motor, but only briefly. I was one of those super fast VW bug guys from the late 80's - early 90's (89-92). Same story, different style of cars.

12. i am dino

i am dino Guest

at least you admit it...

13. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Certainly no reason not too admit it. I've nothing to hide.

It sounds like his car is well built, and doesn't have the scoop on the back that basically pushes the rear end down and the front end (the drive wheels) up. I don't know if it's show, but at least it's go.

14. TURNERob

bum
    Oh man, not the F&F stereotype [-X :lol: The only exterior things done to my Civic are a carbon fiber hood and chin spoiler, and some 17" forged wheels. The engine is fully built by yours truly and has a smog legal (after I change a few things back :-$) Edelbrock turbo kit that I'm running 16psi of boost on. It still gets 28mpg around town and well over 30 on the highway.....can't complain. Now my CRX is certainly more done up on the exterior but it also is pretty fast with a supercharger on it but only @ 8psi of boost and a stock engine internally. My wife is all over me to get rid of it and the way it is shaping up that will be happening soon. I got the car when I was 18 and it is a total cop magnet.....hence the reason my Civic looks mostly stock now. Here are a few pics of my F&F cars :p

Attached Files:

15. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    Sweet cars Rob! I had a 89 CRXsi [stock] that I loved as well, but it was an easy decision for me to trade it in for a 98 Acura ITR. Which in turn was traded in for the M3 that I just can't get myself to part with.
    Good luck in finding the CRX a good home! you're gonna make some F&F :p kid extremely happy.

16. TURNERob

bum
    Exactly, I just hope he likes seeing flashing lights in the rear view mirror :lol:

17. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Every teenager needs to have a car like that, its like a right of passage. I had a full caged Toy, strictly for off-roading, barely street legal, painted OSHA safety Orange. For a 2 month stretch my Junior year of HS i got pulled over every single weekend.

18. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    i've got both ,dont have a clue what yur talking about.get an x-tra cab long bed if possible.

19. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Dude, you CANT get rid of the CRX, where are you going to put all of your tools if that thing isn't there anymore?!?!

20. TURNERob

bum
    I'll have to build some more shelves or somehow convince the wife that she doesn't need to park her car in the garage \\:D/ I've actually got some interest in the car from someone so I've got to drive it into work and get it smogged soon.