What Road Wheels?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Draheim18, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Well, I'm looking at getting a new lighter pair of road wheels to race on. The leading wheelset I had in mind was the Williams System 38 carbon tubulars. However, I got an e-mail about a huge sale at wiggle.co.uk and saw that the Easton EC90 SLX tubulars were on sale for virtually the same price. Both are full carbon and come with ceramic bearing hubs. I have heard nothing but great things about the Williams wheels and their customer service. But I have also heard great things about the Eastons.

The Williams are 38 mm's deep so they are better in the aero arena than the Easton. However, the Easton's weigh in at 1175 grams vs the Williams at 1379 grams. Another advantage of the Williams is that they don't use proprietary parts so fixing a broken nipple or spoke would be a whole lot cheaper.

So in your opinion what would the better wheelset be?

2. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    Be a weenie and go lighter. If performance is roughly the same as is the price, use the gram factor to decide unless-
    Unless....... You like the aesthetics of one over the other.

3. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    It isn't really about aesthetics but they are more aerodynamic than the EC90s.

4. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

i was fortunate to score on a set of EC90 Clinchers a couple months back from competitivecyclist 1800 retail - 40% of 1000 something shipped, these eastons are the shit. ceramic bearings spools up really fast and maintain speed for a long time. the 38 mm deep wheels are nice wish they were a little deeper but it's ok

remember to order a can of pitstop if you're going tubie dont want to be stranded in the middle of your ride w/ a flat

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Are these going to be used just for racing? If so I'd go with the Eastons. If you're going to use them for more then racing I'd go wit the Williams as they are easier and cheaper to fix.