US Cup: Bonelli - Final Race(All info here)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by pinnacle10, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Hurkey Creek is that week end, bummer

2. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Same as Bonelli 1

Edit: Just to clarify - I don't have any special insight - just looking at the geoladders' route it seems to be exactly the same as the first Bonelli course. Not sure if they make some last minute adjustments, or not.

3. jojo1a

jojo1a New Member

construction
    ok hi theres a race on the 20th right i havent seen a thread about it ive looked oh i mean 19 and 20th at bonnilli
    puddingstone la verne sandimas

i think its the KENDA us open moved from vegas
    and then some big bear mountain guys have races there also
    how many races are going to be there this weekend and when is the course going up i need to know if im going as a armoured knight or pony express rider LOL

i havent seen anything about any where let me get my link s if you beat me and you didnt know your welcome

US Cup Unification Race-Bonelli Park

September 20th, 2009 - San Dimas, CA

Racers, please note there is now two titles up for grabs at the US Cup Unification Race at Bonelli Park on Sept. 20th.

Along with the the series unfication title, The US Cup has now added the "1 Day US Cup Championship Challenge" title to the mix. This title is open to all racers, whether you competed in the series or not, or if your outside the top 15 in the overall series standings. But be warned, to win the ""1 Day US Cup Championship Challenge" title, your going to have to beat the best of the best riders from the Kenda Cup West and Kenda Cup East Series, do you think you have what it takes?

Check out the press release for more details:

up/editor/Boneeli Unification Race Report.pdf

Sincerely,

US Cup Staff

thats actually not me i just coppied it so we can all see it heres the link http://www.mtb-uscup.com/index.php?schedule
    this is my first race and it seems hardcore im actually tearing up thinking about the verterans kicking ass for the title however i didnt know that it was mad max race i think ill go as an Armoured Knight LOL

i rode it i might have a video i rode after the race was over LOL took me 4 hours for 1 lap

4. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
  5. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  6. jojo1a

jojo1a New Member

construction
    yea i know about that they want ed they majority of the mountain bikers to go be there on the last day
    i least i heard that as a rumor they wantrd more mtbs then in vegas i guessi dont know for sure

thanks i couldnt find this post LOL oh man

7. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Bonelli Race Logistics

Where do most racers park and stage for the races at Bonelli? In the park? Do you have to pay? Or is it best to park on the other side of the 57 fwy and roll on over when the time is right? Thanks in advance. :beer:

8. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Most will park in the park. The race will be staged in the first parking lot to the left, after you enter (start area, sign-up etc, so folks will typically park on the far side of that lot (past the bathrooms) or in the next lot on the far side of the picnic area.

The fee is now $10 to drive into the park so you may want to park in the Park n Ride lot on the other side of 57 and then just ride in. Don't forget everything you'll want before or after the race cause its a bummer to have to go back and get it.

9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Pre-rode the course yesterday. Its in perfect shape! A little dusty and hot, but then again thats what SoCal XC racing is all about. Practically no sand (other than a patch or two on the turns in the southside downhill torward the 10. Hardpack otherwise.

Started out of the main lot and saw another group jump into the dirt road at the beginning of the course ahead of me. By the time I caught up to them I saw one of them was decked out in a pro Shoair kit (the red one). Ended up riding one lap with them. The Shoair pro was actually Ben Bostrom of moto fame. Totally cool dude.

Kept up one lap. They later hit some full steam race speed laps (which I didn't even attempt - no way I'd keep up with them).

Sunday will be a totally fantastic event. Come on out and join the show.

10. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Gonna be toasty, highs in the 90s. I'll be out there spectating! Look for the guy with a huge cast on his arm and a Weimaraner.

11. whybother

whybother New Member

the heat was brutal! allison took the win in Pro female. the battle for the top podium spot was RIDICULOUS!!! (in a good way)

12. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    You can say that again. I raced two laps finishing @ 11:27 and I thought I had it bad. I have no idea how Allison and the others raced @ noon thirty!

As always, racing is a blast. Bonelli is one of the least interesting courses I've seen, but the competition was stiff even for Cat 2. All in all, pretty cool.

Kinda wild hearing how Sid Taberlay smoked the CX field yesterday on his HT!

13. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Well considering Sid is a world class XC mtb'er it's not so hard to believe. Actually he raced cross all last season and the funny thing is he said his Epic MTB weighed less than his cyclocross bike from last year.

14. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Hot..... Miserable..... Hell.....

Good to be back on the bike.

Cheers,

C.K.

15. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

Death hot. Just about heatstroked. Ran out of water quick...but that happens alot when you are over 200lbs and sweat like a pig anyways. Hung in there though and ran a 1:15 and won Cat 2 clydes. Big Bear here I come...

16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I hear that the US CUP will do allot of cool things next year with Bonelli, including designing and building an entire race course with over 75% visibility for spectators. Won't steal their thunder though, s info to be available as its official.....

Yesterday was hot but it was a great race. It was my next to last Cat 3 race (BB next week will be the last), so the fact that Cat 2 and 3 did the same number of laps was good for comparison purposes (have yet to compare them). 1 h 16 min. Lot more training needed.

Ended up doing the first lap pretty good with the front three in my sights most of the lap. I really killed it the 1st lap by sprinting out of saddle every opportunity I had. Figured to keep as close to the front as possible and build a big enough lead from the rest of the pack that nobody could catch me. Kinda worked and kinda didn't. Ended up 5th in our uber competitive category abut 3-4 minutes ahead of 6th. One of my buddies did catch up to me and followed my wheel most of the second lap passing me on the last hill to take 4th, 15 seconds ahead of me. With all the points tallied up ended up 3rd overall for the US Cup.

As my buddy Matthias said at the end, in the end the most important thing is that I had a fantastic race season with a really cool bunch of guys. We were all fierce competitors, but I really learned to appreciate every one of them, and am happy to call them all my buddies.

Big Bear next weekend....

17. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
  18. jbiron

jbiron New Member

Dad
    I felt suprizingly good despite the heat and was in the mix of the Cat 1 45's until I punctured half way through lap 2. Had to stop to re-inflate about six times, but still managed a 3rd. The heat definnitely took it's toll with about 30 of the 100 Pro/Cat 1 men DNF'ing; a pretty high percentage.