US Cup: Bonelli - Final Race(All info here)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by pinnacle10, Jul 15, 2009.

1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Unless I'm wrong its $200 per CATEGORY, not class within category, randomly selected from the winners of each class in each Category. So there will be one $200 for a randomly selected winner of all the Cat 3 winners, then $200 for the Cat 2 , etc. So its 3 * $200 for the men and 3 * $200 so a total of $1,200 (doesn't include the pros, I believe).

As for revenue the first Bonelli was attended by over 700 racers. so its $40 * 700 = $28,000. Plus I believe all the vendors have to pay to put their booths up in the official area.

In any case, everyone knows that MTB racing is no Superbowl and that the folks that put this together do it more for the love of the sport than for the love of money.

As for Bonelli vs Bootleg, I wrote about that here on STR a while ago too. Yes, Bootleg would be more fun for the racers, but Boneli is in the middle of a 13,000,000 strong metropolitan area and will as such attract more riders and spectators, so it will be better for the sport. Not sure how many of the 700 racers that came the first time around can afford a weekend in Vegas for a race. We have to do whats best for mountain bike racing, and not necessarily whats most exciting for the racers. When we are able to hold races in Griffith Park with big corporate sponsors, hundreds of thousands of $$ in awards and ESPN and ABC Sports carrying it live, with millions of viewers switching the channel away from Sunday NFL to watch the race.... well then we can look back and maybe have more exotic races in further locations.

And by the way, the 700+ attendance of the first US Cup race this year in Bonelli in march was the largest crowd ever in Bonelli.

2. DownhillEX11

DownhillEX11 New Member

Senior Bike Mechanic
    Vlak-

Thanks for your explanation....I hope they clarify that, because I could see people interpreting it differently and then not being too happy about it.

But hey what do I know, I'm a 45 year father of two that likes to ride downhill mostly and race cross country occassionally....its more about my kids at this point.

But you can't try and blame it on Brent's passing. We did two races out there this Spring, and Dirt Demo is bringing THOUSANDS of people there over two days....so it doesn't match up. And all the rumors on the other sites, indicate they didn't budget very well....maybe they need to sell more T-shirts.:)

My point being, don't insult the people who support you with excuses that have no relevancy.

Its like the shirts. I took my son and daughter to 4 rounds of this series, and we pre entered every time, yet when we got to sign up, they were out of small and mediums. Cool for me because I'm a fat guy that can run an XL, but for my son and daughter it was a let down. You know how kids are these days, my son can't show up to school in a XL and not get laughed at...sad but true.

Then when you walk by the Team Sho-Air pits, there standing around there selling series T-Shirts, and what do you know you can buy a small and medium series T for $20??

That kind of stuff really takes away from the sport.

Between hotels, entry fee's, meals , fuel and all the other crap, its expensive.

We chased the series just so they could try and make the top 15 for the shootout. Now apparently i didn't need to go to all those rounds, because they just made up a "New" title to go for. Thanks for letting me waste additional money when I didn't need to. As you say, this econemy isn't very good for any of us.

Again, looks like they sold everyone on the series, and now look to be scrambling for rider turnout by creating this new one day championship challege title or whatever it is.

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

I too an a 44 year old dad of two (though they are too young to race). Seems we agree more than we disagree. I can't say why it was moved from Bootleg to Bonelli (but like what that does to my wallet).

As for the t-shirt issue, I think you may have just gotten the short end of the stick here, that it wasn't intentional and that its an exception, and not the rule. I hope the folks at Shoair make it up for you and most importantly your kids.

As for chasing standings by going from race to race.... Same here. The hotels and restaurants in Solvang, Big Bear, Monterey and Alpine have all benefited from the races and my wallet has been stretched. The additional title they announced doesn't diminish the overall title, so I wish you and your kids good luck in pursuing the Overall titles!

4. Team Sho-Air

Team Sho-Air New Member

We are selecting 1 winner from each category,

Cat 1, Cat 2, and Cat 3 that is $600.00. Obviously there is no way we could give $200.00 to every age group in every category raining. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but as I said, it is 1 winner in each Cat, 1,2 and 3.

As for Donny Jackson, I consider him a friend and he has supported us 100%. I don't understand how some of the Gravity people have become angry with the US Cup, we support you and respect what you do, we just can't afford to run all types of racing and so we concentrate on cross country, short track and super D when we can. I would also like to point out, that as a show of support for the downhill community, I purchased another 250 extra gravity specific t-shirts exclusively for the gravity racers at Fontana, (ask Donny), I also paid to have In and out burger there for the first 500 people and got my friend Jason Britton to come out and do a show. I would just like to know how I have failed you?

Furthermore, I have not made one dime off of the entry fees from the races, or the promoters, all the money and I mean all of it went to the promoters, ask Donny, or Tom or anyone else involved and they will tell you the same! In fact I made no money at all on the series, never intended to and never did, I tried to cover my costs where I could, and I will tell you I didn't even come close!

As for the Bootleg, yes, they still have events there, but we could not get ours set up to our satisfaction so we tried to hold it at the Dirt Demo, it didn't work out. I meant no disrespect at all, in fact it is because we didn't think we could do it without him that we tried to do the race at the Dirt Demo.

As for adding a one day challenge to the race, yes it is last minute and yes it is to get more riders to come out, I realized that I made a mistake in only having the unification race. For people not in contention for the series title it doesn't give them anything to shoot for, so by adding a one day title, it makes it more fun for everyone. This is also going to be part of the model we follow next year.

To all of you, I am new to this, I started riding my bike to get into shape and I fell in love with it and the riding community as a whole, so give me a break, I am doing my best. I didn't intend to start a series or run one, I was asked to and I have done my best. We are learning from our mistakes and I am committed to staying in this.

Is money tight, yes it is! We raise money from the industry and my company helps subsidize costs, right now the economy is very shaky and the Industry doesn't have extra money to give and my company is down just like everyone else, but I am still trying to do my best to support biking of all types. If you like what I am doing, great, help me out, send some business to Sho-Air because I don't make a dime off of the US Cup, for any of you who don't believe me, ask Tom from Team Big Bear and I am sure he will set you strait.

If anyone has constructive criticism for me, or is unhappy with something, please feel free to send me an email or give me a call, I will do my best to assist you. As for the T-Shirt issue, we only have so many to give out and we have to try to predict what sizes are appropriate, I am sorry your children didn't get the size they wanted, and if you contact me I will see what I can do. Oh and the money that was made from selling the extra shirts we had from other events, it went to the volunteers that worked the event.

I hope you all come out to the race, as it will help Tom from Team Big Bear, it is his race and he keeps all the entry fees and I am doing my best to try to get the #s up for him.

Scott

5. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Racing is my motivation to stay fit and endure mid-week rides in this heat. I appreciate the efforts of those who dare to try and please everyone. Thanks again- and I look forward to the 20th- and the 27th.

6. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Looking forward to Bonelli. I had originally planned to do Hurkey Creek, but when this race was moved to the 20th it didn't take me long to decide to bail on the endurance race. The first Bonelli race was a lot of fun.

Thank you Sho-Air for putting on the series. It really has been racer friendly. I went to all 6 west coast races and while Colorado was a bit of a disappointment, the other 5 were everything someone could ask for.

7. kev

kev vincit qui patitur

Home Page:
    Do you need a USA cycling license? Let mine expire or is there a one day thing you can buy?

8. davidB

davidB Active Member

+1

I've been spoiled by SRC so this is a turnoff if so.

But it's either this or the STR newbie ride that weekend. :-k

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Dont quote me but I would say yes. I believe it was required for the National Race at Fontana. If you race Cat 2 or 3 you should be able to buy a one day license.

10. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Cat 2 and 3 racers can purchase a 1 day USAC Cycling License. Cat 1 racers must purchase a yearly license.

11. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    For the first Bonelli race you could get a 1 day license for free if you were cat 2 or 3.

12. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    Bonnelli Park Race

:bang: Whos racing Bonelli in a couple of weeks? Im 40 and a fit 290,with some weight to shed over the next year so I"ve been training for real. What class or group would I fit into, im a true newcomer to racing. This web site has the best people and have by their advice helped me beyond what I ever thought possible,mountain bikers are cool people period,so thanks for all the help.

13. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    ill be there to watch i live off of mission and the 71. soon as i fix mt forks, need a spring kit, ill be riding there quite a bit on the weekends if you need a ride partner let me know i have a bunch of friends the love that place.

14. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    I'll be riding tonight after work 'bout 4 ish and this Sat 7:30am. I ride a red Cannondale,my name is Zac.

15. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    Race the beginner clyde class 35+...best fit for you. Where are you starting from on Saturday? I may head over to meet up w you.

16. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

first try racing the course and compare your time with the race results...I'm racing CAT-2.
    If you don't get a chance to pre-ride do CAT-3....you will find that CAT-3 has some strong riders

17. DownhillEX11

DownhillEX11 New Member

Senior Bike Mechanic
    Nervosa-Go Cat 3 Clydesdale forsure

18. whybother

whybother New Member

anyone have specific info on the course for this race (GPS files)?

I know the old course, but someone mentioned a new course for this race...

19. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

20. whybother

whybother New Member