It was a nice cool spring day today, great weather for a bike ride. During the week I usually ride on the road when I can steal a couple of hours from work. Apparently spring time is also insect-time, there where many insects to be "had" on my Irvine-Blvd--Santiago Canyon loop. I had them flying in my ears, face, legs and of course all around me. While climbing the Jamboree hill up to Santiago Cyn Road, breathing heavily with mouth open wide, I managed to trap a bee-sized insect. I got such a shock/fright that 100 milliseconds later I found myself on the pavement! My thoughts covering the next three seconds or so, went as follows: "Oh, that's a bee!", "It's going to sting me in the mouth, yikes!", "Oops, I swallowed it, it's going to sting me on the inside", "I have not been stung yet, maybe it died before getting the chance." I quickly emptied the remainder of one water-bottle down my throat, while waiting for a piercing pain from somewhere on the inside. Fortunately it never came, perhaps it wasn't a bee after all. For the remaining 20 miles home I could not believe how foolish/out-of-control I was to have been spooked of my bike in such a way. Rather a tame crash. Maybe next time I will respond more gracefully to the attack of a kamikaze insect.