Traffic ticket because of a bike rack?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profnachos, Sep 29, 2011.

1. b.martin

b.martin New Member

It is illegal for anything to obstruct the reading of a license plate. “It’s readable from a 45 degree angle” is not good enough. In my mind the reason for the law (the f section of 5201) relates more to law enforcement’s ability to read the plate in the event of a pursuit or some other failure to yield situation. Reading the 3A**567 to dispatch does not help an officer find out if the car is stolen.

The bike rack ticket is pretty petty. In my opinion if the ticket was written for 5201(g)VC it is uncalled for. That is not a fix it ticket, is expensive, and in my mind the officer has to believe you intentionally put the rack on the car to evade tolls. The f section is simply anything that does block the plate and it is a fix it ticket.

Sometimes it is helpful to have something illegal about your car. In the event you get pulled over for driving 80 miles per hour…and are polite to the officer…you may drive off with a fix it ticket instead. After midnight though…all bets are off as you can and will be pulled over for any vehicle code violation and if you are over .08 BAC you will go to jail. On the bright side...you most likely will not get that fix it ticket.
    Have I ever written a ticket for a bike rack? No. Do I have a hitch mount rack on my car…all the time? Yes. Have I been stopped? No. Have I written a ticket for a tinted license plate cover? Yes. Trailer hitch ball? Only if I’m giving a warning for something else.

Fix it tickets are what they are. I very rarely give warnings for correctable violations. They don’t leave points on your license and they only cost you ~$20. I often give warnings or write correctable citations in lieu of speeding tickets or other moving violations. If windows are tinted, tail lights are tinted, headlights or taillights are out, or registration is not paid…I’ll stop it…and write it if I don't have any reports to work on. If anyone would prefer me to start stopping anyone who does 75 miles per hour and above and write them tickets that take ~$400 out of their wallet and give them warnings for their tinted windows…just say the word.
    Sorry…a bit scattered and rambly I know…but it may give some of you a little insight into how at least one of us handles their traffic business.

2. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    correct me if I'm wrong, but dont those have a place for you to relocate you rear plate? I've only seen a handful of them, but they all had that.

3. b.martin

b.martin New Member

While there are sometimes extra officers on the toll roads on toll evasion overtime, it is also a normal beat assigned every day to officers working their normal shifts.

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I cant even read this whole thread without getting pissed off.

Why is it ANYTIME I hear on STR that someone got a ticket.... Everyone here screams Fight it fight it... thats bullshit???

Are people here becoming to a point of picking and choosing the laws they want enforced and the ones they do not???

FACT... You CANOT leave your hitch mounted bike racks on your vehicle without bikes on them unless you properly remount the license plate.

Fact.... the previous also applies to wheelchair racks as well...... so the its for a wheelchair defense goes right out the window

Fact.... Law is Law........ if you want it changed, go get a petition going and get it on a ballot.

FACT.... IF your sited for soemthing that is against the law....... You should be an adult and pay your fine.

FACT.... Money from traffic Citation go into a general fund, they are not to generate revenue... but to KEEP YOU FROM DOING IT AGAIN.

Fact...... License plates being visble IS a Safety issue...... For our law enforcement..... If they cannot run the plate when the stop someone... HOW THE **** are they to know who or what they are about to deal with.......

FACT... Law is the LAW.... ignorance of said law does not excuse one for breaking it

Seriously, when you call the police for whatever... you want a quick, swift responce that is in your favor, but when they hit you with something your doing wrong.... everyone gets all pissy

This is a moving vilation....... Driving is a priveledge, not a right, when you get your license you sign that you will follow ALL the laws assosiated with the roadway use

5. masta shake

masta shake squeaky kneed SS'er

Monkeywrench in the local goverment machine
    Trailers are considered a "vehicle" and as such are registered. My argument would be that I can tow someone else's trailer. The license plate would not necessarily identify the vehicle that is towing the trailer, which is why the officer would have pulled you over.

6. gimme

gimme Member

Semi Retired
    well,, which one you talking about? Local PD or CHP? The CHP has the job of patrolling the highways for traffic violations as where the Local PD has the job of ticketing, domestic, murder, drug abuse, graffiti, etc etc... I disagree with the generalized statement you make about this being a ploy to gain tax money. I will agree with you when I see the day that there no longer is anyone on the road continuing to text/talk on the cell phone while driving.

7. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

It's my turn to watch now!

[​IMG]

8. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Both Local PD and CHP have the job of enforcing laws..... Both of them are expected to write citations for violations when they see them...... Alot choose not to though.

They are both also expected to prioritize their calls they have.... Obviously if a local PD see's a moving violation but has a call for a violent crime the violent crime will take priority

9. gimme

gimme Member

Semi Retired
    guess that's why they both carry ticket books :rolleyes: Who says I was debating that fact? You would be a fool to think that a CHP wouldn't ticket you on a city street or a local LEO ticket you on the Highway. I am simply pointing out that CHP is out to write more tickets because that is the majority of their job, citing moving and non-moving violations i.e. Highway Patrol. When one calls 911 on a domestic...when was the last time you saw CHP show up? If I wanted my words misinterpreted, I would do it in a manner that suggests it.

10. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    How much is the fine for obstructing rear license plate?

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Your post gave the impression taht you were of the opinion that the locals would not have bothered with this citation.

Yes I have seen CHP show up on 911 calls, more often than most people realize..... If they can get to the call first... they go.

12. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Keep in mind this only works IF it has a light for night time driving or they could still pull you over....

This weekend I was working in SF and got a parking ticket($50) for parking on a hill <3%....3% is pretty damn flat...when I asked a parking meter cop about this as a ticket able offense since I am from out of town and it is not posted....he asked where I was from...I said So Cal and my buddy is from StL(we both got tickets) and yes our wheels were turned BUT not enough in the opinion of the citing officer....well he said that since I'm from Ca I should know that parking on a hill I'm suppose to turn my wheel in the appropriate direction....I said Yes I understand that but it doesn't say on the test that it is a ticket able offense....when asked how my buddy is supposed to know since he's from out of state he said "He knows now"....the meter cop also said that I would know this if SoCal had hills.....lol

My ONLY beef w/ these types of laws is that when they make/post the parking signs to inc No parking for street sweeping or metered parking etc to INC chock wheels too....can be done on the same signs since they are on EVERY street every 15'....

So as a public service if anyone knows of cities in SoCal that have adopted this form of parking revenue post it up.....I'm guessing that Laguna/Manhattan/Redondo would be 3 prime candidates to start this IF they dont' have it already in place....

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I will raise you this one..... one street over they are wanting to make it parking on the street by permit only. Well the city went and reused some old speed limit signs, and covered them with the banner that listed the hearing dates on it. Well the area is a residentual area so taht means 25 MPH.... All the signs they used were old 45MPH signs... .... Well someone figured it out and removed all teh banners.......

Well tickets started getting issued for speeding in the area, everyone was pissed off seeing new speed limit signs.... Not sure how it went for all of them, but just too funny to see something taht stupid being done in the first place.