tired of fixed gear hipsters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strobelite, Feb 26, 2008.

1. station

station Is this thing on?

So all joking aside, this is the same kind of thing like skateboarding in the 80s, Surfing in the 70s, Snow Boarding in the early 90s, etc. People get all fired up like this means anything but in the long run fixies are going to out of style and no one will think about it to much after that.

I grew up skateboarding and I can't tell you how many times we got chased by jocks, or angry dads, cops etc. You couldn't build ramps. People got all pissed because you scraped up benches, or hand rails. People took a while to accept skateboarding as anything other than some punks tearing crap apart. Now look at it! Maybe track stands in the 2012 X-games? ;)

Kids are kids. Some will get hurt, some will push the sport and redefine what society thinks about biking. It's going to be ok.

2. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
  3. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    The whole riding through traffic thing actually looks like A LOT of fun to me. It's an absolutely horrible idea (safety wise), but so is flying down the mountain side on a mountain bike. If any of you ride motos then you know how much fun lane splitting is. Now just imagine that on a bicycle....

I'll stick with my lane splitting scooter for now

4. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    I'd rather see trackstands in the the Match Sprint in the Olympics.

5. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    fu@# fixies!

yes im drunk. pm me if you wanna know why i hate the fixed gear revolution.:protest:

6. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    I don't get either (but I also don't have massive lungs/legs :?: But, let's hear your bitch. I, for maybe one am amazed by these people with no derailer, is this fun or self torture? :confused: I am no-way at this level, as I just need more f'n gears! I'm just sad. Do you SS people often hit 45mph ?) :-k (I'm Drunk too ! I.E. multiple posts tonight! :drunk:

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I got about half way through, will be back to read the rest after work. But here is my only problem with hipsters/fixies

Its not as easy to ride a fixie as one would think. And the part that is the problem is when you have someone getting the bike setup because its cool, and they hop right into riding with traffic and dont have the skill needed yet. That makes for dangerous situations, now the guys that have been riding for a long time, that were smart enough to go out to an empty parking lot get some practice, and be generally good at riding a sport specific bike somewhere other that for the sport it was intended, More power to them.

Bikes are bikes, riding is riding, no matter what form you take, you dont just full bore into it before learning the sport a bit more. You wouldnt buy an M6 and expect to be able to go as fast as Chris Kovarik right off the bat would you? If you want to ride a fixie, go for it, just find a parking lot and get some practice before you head out into traffic

8. Bert

Bert Member

Go here http://mashsf.com/videos.php and select the video of Texas - Austin should be the one on the upper left. Hopefully nobody has posted this ... You see not only some major talent, but also a sweet surprise =)

bert

9. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Awww....say it aint so! WTF is he DOING! :(

10. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Riding a fixie on the track is fun...I wouldn't feel so comfortable riding it on the road, but that's just me. I have nothing against the fixie crowd. Bad attitudes/being elitist is evident in all sub-disciplines of riding.

11. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

12. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Attitudes

Bad attitudes/being elitist is evident in all sub-disciplines of riding.

Really? I have only noticed shuttlers having tudes;)

13. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Ran into a couple Fixie kids at The Path the other day...yeah they Path, getting some parts, bar tape etc... They were cool, seemed to appreciate bikes, wanted to learn tricks, fairly healthy and friendly and funny. The one guy bent his fork because he ran into a wall ....hadn't quite got that whole stopping thing down yet... to me they seemed a lot like the BMX crowed when I was younger...

I will add they weren't complete emos ;) ... no clove cigarettes

Oh I mentioned helmets (not one in the bunch)....I got a little of "Not Cool Old Dude" look, but what the hell...guess I am :)

14. rubrduk

rubrduk professional lurker

i hate to admit it, but the trendy hipsters are the ones that have inspired me to get riding again...

i see them everywhere and see as many classic bikes as i do Pistas and other trendy rides...and i love seeing bikes being ridden, regardless of who is riding them

i dig the old bikes...there is just something refreshing about them, at the same time the bike shops are getting an infusing they've been needing since the DH craze settled a few years back so good for them and the industry

just my $.02

15. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    When they outgrow the fixie trend, the wonderful world of MTB riding awaits them.:)

16. rmesa1

rmesa1 Member

I am so ashamed I just finished a single speed road bike:lol: Are these hipster really doing anything bad?
    I just rode with a bunch of fixed or hipsters what ever you want to call them. Did the midnight ridazz ride last night. Everyone I met was in a great mood and really cool. Trendy or not it is really getting bikes out on the streets and alot of them at one time I have never been on a monthly MTB ride that draws 200 bikes. So to each his own it is all better for bikers as a whole.

17. hellboundheroic

hellboundheroic The iron never lies.

I work with a guy who organizes Midnight Ridazz events. He started "Bicykillers" where the rides are fast and pretty long, usually 35-40 miles, not to mention they go on weeknights. He rides a few different fixed gear bikes and commutes to work in Westlake Village from North Hollywood. He has my respect!

18. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

This is my only problem with them. Then again, with such a long list of those in need at OneLegacy, I suppose we should be thanking them (organ donors).

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I almost saw one less fixie rider today. 4 of them flying down the road, red light, ahead, I guess he hoped it would change trys to stop goes sliding into the intersection right in front of car, he was lucky there is a huge dip so cars almost stop coming into the intersection so the car could stop before hitting him. I do belive he will be going home and changing those super tight 3/4 pants they so love. Oh and yeah not one had a helmet. There seem to be a tone of them around here and I don't know what it is but they just bug me. I dont know if its the complete lack of safety, (ie no brakes, no helmets, seem to disregard laws of the road) , the horrible fashion sense, or what.

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Wow I just watched the Video, If I did half of what they did, I would have been in the back of the Cruisers not just talking to them. They may be really good with a bike but they are also asking to end up in hospital or in a body bag with some of the dumb stunts in traffic.