Dirt Jumps Thinking about building a DJ bike

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by art23rockpile, Mar 4, 2009.

1. xxmtbboyxx

xxmtbboyxx Guest

hey Bryan i could use a light too do you have anything else?

2. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

umm. I'll PM you. they're a little ghetto at the moment, but they work well enough. I'll go out on a limb and assume you don't want the 3000 lumen model...

3. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Well, they're two entirely different issues. That said, your point has merit.

Actually, I need both. The lights for night riding (...and a.s.a.p.). But with aspirations of hitting the 'super-secret road gap' someday, I need to get comfortable spending time in the air on a bike. A DJ bike seems like a perfect training tool for this.

Damn this crappy economy... how's a guy supposed to pay bills and build new bikes with no money? :mad:

4. slayer

slayer New Member

art, you need to strip that yeti and build up the uzzi, then worry about a DJ bike!:)

5. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Slayer is right. You don't need a DJ bike to learn to jump. In fact, I'd say you're better off learning to jump on the UZZI - it's stability in the air will be a lot more comforting and a lot more forgiving upon landing. Keep in mind that different bikes will react differently with different jump shapes, so you'll want to find some jumps that favor longer travel bikes. I'm sure others here will be able to help suggest good places.

After being off the bike for a year because of an injury, and actually not doing any kind of jumping or DH for a couple years, I had to relearn to jump a couple years ago. I found my UZZI VPX very comforting to get familiarized again with air time. This was a little jump out at Fontana at one of my first times in the air (I had to practice on the jump a few times).

Attached Files:

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I learned to jump on the bighit ( i did not say I jump real good). That said jumping on the komodo is a lot less forgiving for mistakes. Dj bikes jump really well for the type of jumping they are made for. But on the trail catching air on the bighit was much better. Most jumps on the Dj a shaped, purpose built steep take off/landings. Try taking the Uzzi to the bmx track. Bmx has really helped me in the set up and rythm to jump right.

7. BigRedHit

BigRedHit Bighit comming DOWN!!

Retail Manager
    Lets all meet up at Sheeps with our bike and let potential buyers try out different Dj bikes. Lets call it a Dirt Jump Demo and test facility day.

8. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Ill bring the komodo to trade for a goose.

9. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Learning is fun!

Attached Files:

10. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    Step away from light Art, and join the darkside of the force. MY DJ will be finished soon and DJ weds are going to be sick. Build a cheap DJ bike like a blk mrkt riot, Atomlab, NS, or Transiton with cheap wheels, cuz you'll be throwing it away in the air alot, and it will be abused. You won't want to do that to your uzzi or a $$$ DJ bike.

11. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    :lol::clap::lol:
    I could never completely abandon XC riding, as i love "alpine" MTBing/exploring too much. Besides, Dean needs his friends around when he rides, as he's getting up there in years. ;)

Good point, Mike. You know firsthand how I thrash my bikes #-o. Lee makes a good point too... certain jumps are better suited for DJ bikes, but others will be fine on the Uzzi. And since FR is what i'm focusing on nowadays, I need to get used to jumping on the Uzzi. DJ'ing will give me a perfect excuse to get another bike :). I didn't even think of Transition, and I really like what they're about. Black Market is another option i'll look into.

12. wannagobig

wannagobig Gigantic Member

I would be all over this...

13. F4guy

F4guy New Member

Another vote for the Riot/Mob if you definitely want 26" wheels. I have found 24", for Dj and Urban are the way to go. Sooo much fun and they are so responsive, but you dont feel like youre riding a bmx bike. I would suggest a Union Street Bikes Molly Frame if you can find one. They're the sh!t. Maybe some profile cranks, lowered Marz Z1, Atomlab Trail pimps 24". Thats the way to go if you're into it. Or Nemesis Project has sick custom stuff. Both Definitely check both of them out, its worth it.
    :beer:

14. cbridin319

cbridin319 riding member

i have a giant stp and i am completely satisfied with it, they r cheap too!!