The Path (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by guero, Feb 18, 2007.

1. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Cool avitar.

2. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    The Path Rips

Yeah, the Path rocks. Bring the guys a 12er of micro-brew and life is good for all.

Cheers,

3. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    The Path: Credit Where Due

In the past I have been pretty critical of The Path. No doubt they have lots of great stuff, but I've experienced poor/no service the couple of times I'd stopped in previously.

A recent visit was quite different. Despite the shop being pretty busy, a couple people offered help in a friendly way - not pushy, but appropriately attentive and very welcoming. This was exactly the opposite of my previous experience. I don't know if I was just unlucky the other times, if this recent experience represents a changing attitude, or if I just looked different somehow. I just know that when I pulled in, I felt like I was offering them a swing at what would probably be a third strike, but this time they connected solidly. The improved vibe led me to spend more time there, exploring all the nooks and crannies and finding out just how much stuff they really have there (a lot!). I walked out feeling like I will go back.

Adrenaline is still my first stop since they carry most of what I want, the prices and service are great, and they've always treated me incredibly well, but The Path just moved up the list considerably.

:beer:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  4. guero

guero iFroth

good review bubb, the path and adrenaline both are great shops and they both give back to our mtb community.

5. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    If I can find one fault with the Path, it's their website. It needs some serious help. Same goes for Adrenaline.

6. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Very true on both counts! Their weak websites force me to go visit or call every time I'm looking for something. Not so bad when I know what I want and already know it's something they carry, but it sure is tough to search to see what brands/models they have, or to compare products.

7. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Path sidewalk sales are the best thing in the world. I wouldn't have my WUSS if it weren't for the smokin' deal I got. Same goes for my new CHOOS!!! (shoes)

8. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Bought a new frame and fork there today and they were really helpful (I forgot who it was that helped me, asked his name twice too...). I'll be back when it's time for new wheels. If only it wasn't a 2 hour drive... #-o

I'm not sure how to describe it but I like how there was always someone around to ask questions but they didn't pester me with "Do you need help?." Because I like to browse peacefully, especially in a killer store like that.

:beer:

9. granny ring

granny ring Not Really Here

kept man
    That's why they are a LBS. Brick and mortar. Go there and hang, check stuff out. I f you want to surf there are plenty of place to virtual-bike.

10. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Ouch, why the catty response?

I like checking stuff out on line, shopping online, and then visiting the store to see stuff in person when I buy. That's my style. It may not be your style, but that's ok, isn't it?

Both Adrenaline and The Path have websites with web catalogs of their products. I assume that is because they want people to see their product offerings and shop their online stores. The problem is, their online stores are not very good. So either they are happy with a website that doesn't accomplish its purpose, or they welcome constructive criticism from a potential customer and improve that part of their retail presence.

It's not about my shopping habits or hanging out at a LBS.

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I hear ya! I can - and do - spend hours at a time at The Path just looking at stuff. I'm sure the staff there think I'm nuts (well, I am). To me, bike stuff is like art, and I can just stare at it forever. And that's one of the reason I like The Path is that parts are readily available to see and touch - something I can't do on the internet. I love just admiring the colorful display of hubs, the columns of black Thomson stems and posts, or even the framework hanging off the walls. Simply beautiful.

I do have a fairly large collection of bikes already, and I'm often considering what to build next. But really, I just like to look at bike stuff, even if it's not something I'm looking to build up next. So I also like not being bothered when I'm just browsing, but I like the staff still being available to ask questions, buy parts, or get service.

Another aspect that keeps me going to The Path is that they're the only shop open until 7:00 pm. I leave work in Torrance at 5:30, and The Path is the only shop I can make it to after work. Most shops work the same hours as me, so I can't ever go there.

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

the good news is that Adrenaline's site is in the process of getting an overhaul... from what i've seen, it should be a good looking one :beer:

13. thephat

thephat Active Member

Hey folks

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We hear you loud and clear on the website. We have been scheming for a redesign for years. unfortunately there are things on the list that must get done first.

Sometimes we have to take things slowly due to limitations on financial and time resources.

Those of you who have watched us grow over the years know that we will eventually get it all done. One thing at a time.

14. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    I've never been to the Path, but based on Guero's post;) and others i will make my way down there. as i flip the bird to Jax

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

A first..........

Went into The Path yesderday to pick up some wheels, bars, tubes and freewheel.

When Brian told me that they did not have the size ACS freewheel I wanted in stock and thought he was joking. :?: "Naw really we are out and they are currently hard to get".

WTF:-k#-o

ps. They did have a White Ind freewheel in the size I needed:bang:

but didn't buy it;) $75 vs. $15#-o

The Path rocks!

16. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I once made a visit to the Path recently to buy a Hope seat post clamp and I did not know what size I needed so Sara and another employee (forgot name) pulled another Stumpy down from their racks pulled the seat post off and checked it for me. I was kinda blown away, most other companies would just be like "whatever man". The best part about it they didn't make me feel like a bike idiot.

17. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

that had to be tuff:lol::?::lol:

Ok sorry for the hiHjack!! #-o:lol:

18. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Again

The guy is from Mass. As soon as they hear the accent they know who they are dealing with;)

19. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I did not have the best experience at the path ( not that I wouldn't go back), but oh well. I realize with any business you can have good or bad transactions. I use banning bikes in Fullerton very good techs and great customer service. Plus it is close to home.

20. davidB

davidB Active Member

been great to me the couple times i've gone in. Heck, with the rest of my bike built I'm waiting on a wheelset for about a month now that I could have got at a different LBS. I'll happily drive my house near Pasadena to go there any time I have free.