The Official I LOVE/HATE shuttling thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denmother, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Where have you been.........

I have missed you!

Or being a E-Expert on everything;)

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I haven't read this whole thread, but I generally know the general sentiment of both "sides." From what I have read, sdyeti said most everything that I would (but in a nicer way).

I climb many trails and I enjoy shuttling (most of you would have guessed the latter). In regards to San Juan, I've probably climbed it as often as I've shuttled it (it really does take less time to climb it than shuttle it for me).

I've ridden San Juan on all kinds of bikes, from a fully rigid singlespeed to a long-legged DH bike. Sure, you don't need a DH bike, but it makes many sections a lot more fun (where most XCers go very slowly). However, my average downhill speed between all of the bikes is about the same - yes, I bomb down that trail nearly as fast on an XC bike (although it's not nearly as fun). People are concerned of the downhill speed of the shuttlers, well...I can assure you that my downhill speed on an XC bike will likely be as fast or faster than most of the shuttlers, so that whole point is moot, in my opinion. By the way, I do consider myself as polite and "mostly" in control.

Many of both XCers and DHers ride down San Juan out of control. Ironically, although while climbing, I've found the XCers to be more rude (I don't know if they shuttled or climbed, but they appear to be XC types). I've seldom had to give an elbow to a DHer coming down, but I've often had to stick it to others who were coming down out of control. And yes, I know how to use my elbows very well. ;) Just the same, I'll always move out of the way if I can.

Some people greatly enjoy the sense of accomplishment from climbing to the top of the hill. I don't. For me, climbing is not fun, and I don't have any value or the sense of accomplishment for completing any climb. For others, I can understand why they'd have a good feeling for climbing.

Some people say that you have to earn the decent by climbing a hill. My ass! I work 40+ hours a week, which pays for my bike and gear. I've earned the decent, damn it! If I only want to shuttle and decend only, so be it! You do what you want to justify your decents, and I'll do what I want. If you don't like what I want, get over it.

Although I haven't been to San Juan in a while, when I do take Ko (my gf), you can bet that we'll be shuttling. I want her to have lots of fun - not to simply get exhausted going up only to not be able to enjoy the decent. Why should anyone have their ass "kicked" to enjoy a decent? Total BS.

Have fun and enjoy your ride.

3. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Your right mechmann

you are the best! A legend in your own mind.:rolleyes:

Oh and did you realize that 99% of the time I am (and others) are joking? A primate could figure that out.

sorry what is RBR:?:

4. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    IMO, the above post is the best one in this thread so far.

To get a better perspective on this issue, try hiking up a multi-use trail that is popular with mountain bikes; SJT, Sunset Ridge, El Prieto, Etc. Take the wife and kids or SO and "feel' the pain that other user groups of multi-use trails feel.

I've been hit while hiking up and riding up and it sucks!

5. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Don't the climbers ride back down???? You CAN NOT blame the conditions of the trail on DHers only when the climbers ride back down to their cars...I have followed some climbers that were skidding thru the switchbacks on their way back down....

6. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    The issue is not DH or XC, it is excessive SPEED.

Slow down if you cannot stop in time to avoid an accident!

Slow down when approaching other users! Our speed seems a lot slower to us that it does to other users going uphill.

Slowing down and yielding versus waiting/ expecting others users to clear out of our way shows a lot of respect to others and goes a long ways in helping to keep trails open to MTB's!

7. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    If

you can't climb then why wouldn't you climb more till you improve. Mountain biking is about challenging your overall skill isn't it?

I know people who enjoy suffering to get to the top(Crash Maxwell) and then have a blast flying down the hill. :beer:

8. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Sometimes, it's because they don't have another bike to ride. Sometimes, they just want something different. Sometimes I'll ride my M3 bike on trails that I usually ride on my Nomad. Sometimes, I don't really end up finishing the trail any faster, it's just a different ride.

Cheers:beer:

9. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    I think mountain biking is about having FUN! That's just the bottom line. If we weren't having fun, I don't think that any of us would be here. Climbing or Descending, it doesn't matter. Rule number 1=Have FUN! Unless you just like suffering for the sake of suffering...;)

If you want to shuttle to have fun, then shuttle. If you want to climb, then climb. It's all good!:beer:

10. Mondo

Mondo aka Mondo

Bike stuff
    Home Page:
    Run what you brung...

Agreed -

Bikes are bikes...ride 'em.

Have fun.

Try your best not to hurt yourself or anyone around you.

Climb if you want to; shuttle if you don't.

Don't be a d_ck.

Go ride your bike.

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

If it weren't for me commenting on this comment, I think the thread should end with freekengo's post.

12. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    and if wasnt for me commenting on lees' comment commenting on feekengo's comment, I say "here here"

now go shuttle something lol :lol:

13. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

Because climbing sucks...no matter how long you've been at it. Now I'm not going to stop riding because of the climbing...but if I had known about all of the torture(I didn't read the fine print)....I would have taken up kite flying.

Oh and...crash maxwell has his nickname because the downhill takes skill too ya know??? Pffffffft. ;)

14. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    i shuttle so i only have to climb; so i dont have to descend and risk hurting myself

15. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me

Jeez, try saying that three times fast!!:lol:

as for the shuttle ride, I'm going to ride the Cannell plunge which is a shuttle with some climbing! How's that for a combo deal!:bang::wave:

16. CPATCRASH

Oh come on now!

Climbing isn't that bad. It is sure harder to crash while climbing. Although I have done it a couple of times.... ;)

17. SheDevil

True...I certainly wouldn't feel like this crashing on one of my epic-5 mph climbs.

18. CPATCRASH

Very true!

I hate to see a crash like that. You scared the crap outa me! Are you still sore??????

19. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    down good...up not so much

one vote for pie!!!

[​IMG]

20. SheDevil

Yes... I look like John Wayne trying to get down the hall....dragging a leg and saying "pilgrim" a lot.