Switchback Cyclery

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Aug 7, 2007.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I was in there one time looking for some small parts, and the kid behind the counter was talking to me like I didn't have a clue. Ironically, he was the one with no clue.

Otherwise, my experiences there have been ok. Unfortunately, they've never had any of the parts or gear in stock that I need. Also, I haven't seen Tim or Sherry in there in couple years. I'm guessing they don't work Saturdays.

2. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

I don't go into Switchback Cyclery on a regular basis but everytime I'm in there they have been great!

3. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

Been trying not to work on the weekends..trying to have family time...all I can say is good help is very very hard to find! Sorry.

4. scruffylooking

scruffylooking Stuck up, half witted...

This is what I like about Switchback... family focused. Darn it, I wish you were closer.

5. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

I have been to allot of the local OC bike shops and Switchback has THE best service... hands down. I bought my bike from another shop (before I even knew about Switchback) and when it came time to have my bike serviced I took it back to the shop I purchased it from. It took several days for my bike to be completed. The next time I needed service, I stopped by Switchback to have them do it. I was shocked when it was done the same day! Since then I have taken my bike exclusively to Switchback.

Just today I was riding my bike home when I was hit by a car! Luckily I was ok, but the rear wheel was bent pretty bad. I walked into Switchback, told them what took place and the guys in the shop stopped what they were doing, took the wheel and worked their magic right then and there. 15 minutes later... it was as if nothing ever happened. Thanks for being an AWESOME shop Switchback! I owe you a big thanks and a few cold ones! :beer:

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I used to use the shop when I lived in the area. Nothing but positive experience. Sherry helped fit and pick an new helmet and some sixsixone pads. Plus I rode with Tim at the Oaks as a new guy and he was a great help and waited for a friend and I.It is nice to see that I am now reconnected by bike to people who helped me in the early days.:)

I use Bannings now in Fullerton, maybe we can get them to join the mix, cool peeps.

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I've seen conflicting info... is Switchback open on Sunday, and if so, is VQ packet pick-up available?

The website says open 11-5, but the Warrior's Society info says they are not open on Sunday.

Thanks!

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

yes, we are open on Sunday 11-5. It is being changed in the info. you will be recieving from the Warrio's Society.

9. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Switchback Cyclery Hours

We are open:

M-F 9am - 7pm
    Sat 9am - 5pm
    Sun 11am- 5pm

Sorry for the confusion...Chris with the Warrior's doesn't always check with me before he sends stuff out in emails...last year we tried closing on Sundays and we had too may complaints. So we are back to 7 days a week.

You can start picking up packets on Saturday at 9am! And come in any time between then and night before the event.....whatever time works out best for you...by doing it this way we don't have to have a big line the morning of the event...it already starts early enough.

10. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    They are right down the street from me, I live on Chapman and Cannon, been there once, it was a couple of young kids behind the counter, didnt get much help ended up leaving, i will go there again just because there is alot of good stuff being said about them, their merchandise is limited to a few small kiosks and a couple of wall sections.
    anyways, i think after going to adrenaline bike shop on monday thats my new place, Neil answered all my questions without hesitation, i ended spending some money as well. lol.

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the quick responses!

12. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Yep...we are a small family run shop...only about 125 built bikes on the floor, 10-15 Santa Cruz frames hanging to build up custom and 10 kiosks in 2900 square feet of space...sorry you didn't like the younger guys, they have worked here for years and most people really like them but sounds like it was a bad day for some reason with them..I will talk to them and let them see what you wrote...we cater to everyone from little kids bikes, comfort bikes to high end Santa Cruz, Felt and Trek and Fisher...give us another try...my younger help is usually who works on Sundays...Tim and I just need our weekends to spend with our two young children.

13. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    really i wasnt trying to discourage others from your shop. or get anyone in trouble it was just the one time i have been there, im still new to this sport so its a little intimidating to go into a bike shop, i will definetly go in again, i go to bagel me across the street all the time and see you guys, actually i saw some bike there that were awsome.

14. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    I was not upset...just clarifying that yes we are a small shop...we pride ourselves in customer service and I just wanted to let you know that I will let me guys know so they stay on their toes...it's all good...it's dangerous across the street from us with In n Out, Bagel Me, Taco Mesa and the famous hot dog stand right in front of my store...lots of great smells lofting into the front door...ugh...and remember we too give 15% off to STR members. See ya soon.

15. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School

im there, once my warranty lapses i will need somewhere to fix my bike, until i can buy some tools and do it myself.

16. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Keep an eye out for our Maintenance clinics...we had a couple in Feb....and will be doing more in March...just need to get the Warrior's Society VQ and CC done and then we will be doing them again...we are planning on doing them on Sunday afternoons and then doing a ride afterward....

17. NolanSB

NolanSB Mountain Bike Rider Guy

Sales
    Great Service

Just picked up a road bike from the Path last week. I want to thank Sherry and the rest of the guys in the shop for helping me out and treating me well. One of the friendliest bike shops around OC.

18. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yes, this place is great! i too did feel like family... i personally talked to sherry i think. she talked to me about her experience and her husbands. told me what to look for and what not. after a few more items for my build, i am going to go there and have them help me out with my build.

patient with my beginner questions... stayed with me as i was thinking and came up with questions. when i was done i roamed the store with no stress...

overall a great store!

even down to the pink bell i bought for my girlfriend!

19. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    9 times out of 10, my bikes go to Switchback before a race to get 'em race ready. :bang::clap::bang::clap:

20. Deuce Niner

Deuce Niner Returning Rider

Picked up my new Fisher Paragon today. After a lot of indecisiveness on my part, Tim and the crew at Switchback were awesome at helping me decide on the best bike for me, at a great price! Definitely worth the drive up from SD. :)

Thanks guys! :beer:

- Ryan