Southridge Winter Series Race #3 2/6-7

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

So, race 2 is over, now lets plan for race #3!!!!

RSVP

P.S. Eric Carter is now the Super D designer, so for all of you have not been racing because it was too XC oriented, sign up and try it out!!! There were rave reviews of the last 2 courses (and the XC guys whined), gotta love it!!!

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Super-D whiner here.....

3. bcinlas4

bcinlas4 junior this!

Ran both Super D and DH, didn't seem that much diffrent. Used the 6" bike for both. Can't wait for the next one!

4. just ride

just ride cody phillips

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Rode at Fontana this afternoon. Did three laps and decided to climb up and try the Super D course as I saw the signs still up. Yea...ummm... it's definitely not for a hardtail xc race bike. Next time I'll bring my Reign and give it the old college try.

6. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

I'm in...I need to get this last race out of my head.....

7. denmother

8. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    Race #2

What happened ?

9. denmother

4 days and counting

Hmmm, will it rain???? Time to rally troops!!!

Who's going out for practice on Friday???:?:

RSVP'd Yes: 20
    RSVP'd Maybe: 1
    • J_Sims - maybe come out to watch the races... I hear some big names may be in the house with a crazy track... WOOT

10. bdamschen

bdamschen New Member

will they still run it if it rains?

11. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:
    yes, all races are rain or shine!!!!

12. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

just gotta go dig out my wetsuit...

13. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I'll try to DH this weekend, I suppose. I hope the course likes a slack 5" bike.

14. SuperDKim

SuperDKim New Member

Office Mang. MBZ Repair Shop
    Glad to hear about the whinning!!! Looking forward to Super D!!

15. EC1

EC1 New Member

I think i posted something like this on Ride Monkey? but in regards to the Fontana Super D, the goal is to create more interest for Donnie and to have courses that are actually Super D's, the D does stand for Downhill, although he would never say it, the amount of entries for Super D made it not worth Donnie's time, the entries were low i think due to the fact that they had so much climbing...the XC guys just finished racing and really don't care about it and the DH guys are not into climbing, the goal isn't to make the XC guys upset although i can see how it could be a by product of the course changes, it was to better serve the racers and what the majority would like to see.

So i suggested he change it up a bit.

When the guys at Team Big Bear came up with the concept it was to create courses that a person who could only afford one bike could race downhill on, at the time DH was getting more specialized and a specific bike was needed, in their words we want to have old school downhill courses.

At Fontana that is difficult with only 300 ft of elevation to work with, what i said to Donnie was trying to create a course that is a true Super D that is 9 minutes is impossible, I don't think Super D should have equal amounts of climbing and descent.

What i try to do is create a course that is ridable on a hard tail or 7 inch plus bike but best suited for a 4 to 6 inch travel bike, they run about 3 and a half to 5 and a half minutes long..any climbs are short power climbs with the majority of the pedaling being on the bottom, the DH parts are less technical and traverse the mountain more then the DH.

Hopefully the DH set will get behind it and prove me right in the fact that entries will grow if the courses change?

see you all on the weekend.

16. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I'm liking the new SD courses. I haven't done one yet this year, but plan to this weekend. As a xc racer, I don't mind a little climbing and I usually do better on those courses, but it always bugged me when we started with a climb. At the very least I think we should always be starting at the highest point of the course. Any climbing should be to make the course better, or get to another good section, not just to make it longer. Keep up the good work with the courses.

So from what you said....Team Big Bear came up with the Super D concept? Didn't know that.

17. EC1

EC1 New Member

As far as i know they were the first ones to do it, maybe just first to create a name for the type of riding that lots of people like to do, starting at a point higher then you finish with all types of terrain. i just remember when TBB put it on their schedules i had not seen it before.

18. davidB

davidB Active Member

With the rain, any chance that the STR EZ-Up might be there? Where did those things end up going anyway?

Us XC folks have been very lucky in the last couple years in regards to the rain. It would either stop raining the night before, or rain an hour after the race, but never during. :bang:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a rain race. It'd be a blast!

19. denmother

I believe Craig has one and Dino has the other.

20. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

EC, what do you think about moving 4X to Sunday? Some of our team guys would like to do 4X but having it on Sat takes away on the amount of DH practice. Some of our guys are doing XC, SD, & 4X and aren't getting enough DH runs to learn the course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.