Southridge series

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pain Freak, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I woke up this morning and it was raining here, not much, but enough to show that the mud would stick to the tires so I climbed back into bed. Bad mistake,I woke up an hour or so later and the sun was out and the birds were chirping and I was indoors!!! So, I missed the ride. But the day wasn't lost I could drive a few miles down the street and check out the dh racing at Southridge. Man, what a hoot! I got there early enough to watch some of the guys/gals do some practice runs and I've got to tell you, it was very entertaining. Lots of inventive lines and who knows how many near crashes and of course there were some crashes. We had a good showing of the STR folks out there and the only thing that suprized me was there wasn't more. MTBRacer, TKBlazer,FyrFytRyn (sorry didn't get to say hi), DHRoss and Jfrom LV, along with a dozen other guys gals that don't post here. I know we had a good representation on the podium from this group too. Racing in the Super D was Maxwell, and the guy from Adrenelin (sorry forgot your name again). Winston was there like me taking pix, and the crowds were big. I thought I was at the wrong place there for awhile. I'd never seen the park this full as it is now. This event has really developed a life of it's own and looks to be taking off. Lot's of friendly people and very fun to participate in or just to spectate. I think I'll go ahead and race next time in a couple weeks from now.

Attached Files:

2. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    that older guy on that cannondale friggin rips! had a pretty good race. ended up getting 3rd. i got stuck behind some joker who wouldnt get the F over. he even looked back a few times after i yelled, yet didnt get out of my way. do i get in trouble for tapping him!? haha. ended up screaming past him on the wall, by then it was too late. if i had kept my orig line through there i would have secured 2nd i think. sorry i didnt get to meet you painfreak. nice pics.

3. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I was up there shooting pics today for the SBF guys that I ride w/...Ryan I saw you got 4th....what color was your jersey...I may have a pic of you near the split of the expert about the middle of the course

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I was impressed by him and a few others out there.

But the same holds true for dh as it does in xc, there are some guys riding beginners who have no business being there. They could quite possibly podium in sport, but yet they race beginner and beat some poor new guy out of his trophy. I could see it if it was your first, second or maybe even third race, but if you've podium, they really should move up. Anyways, there was some really good racing out there today.

Ryan we seen you run up on the guy and he still wouldn't get out of your way, even with everyone yelling at him to let you by.

Attached Files:

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

despite not being able to race today, i had a freakin blast! :bang: Met up with ms. sharky and her sister at the sunday slaughters truck (Ross) and Briman was there also. Fast forward to the track, we perched ourselves just past the second track split on the downhill after the off camber right hand turn. Lots of speed and subsequently, lots of carnage to be seen at this spot... I thought i would get better shots so i moved down the hill a bit where the riders were going faster. After talking to the ladies a bit about where to shoot, i moved a bit down more to what i thought would be a safe zone... Negative on that one.......i am holding a beer in one hand and the camera in the other when i'm taking a pic of this dood and sure enough he is coming right at ME! Holy sh*t i yell out and run for cover.. as my luck would prove worthless, the bike clips a rock and flies in the air, right in the direction that i'm running to. Freakin great, i get tagged by the bike, break my camera, but saved about half of my Duvel Belgium Ale :beer: That pretty much ended my day for taking pics. I drink the wats left of my beer and climb up to the track split where i heckled the hell out of the riders for the remainder of the race.. I'm bringing an air horn and some cow bells for the next race :lol:

here are some pics i was able to salvaged from the busted up digi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the infamous Winston!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007
  6. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

:lol: That bike had it in for Nam flipping end over end chasing him down the hill we yelled "save the beer"...that's like $4 a bottle!!! I know 1000oaks got the beginning of that crash. We were dieing laughing at these poor racers at the receiving end of his heckling. See...karma Nam!! Great times...I have pics of most the STR riders coming down but having trouble uploading so will post later. Everyone did great....good job Ross and Brian (nephew) at your 1st DH race. Ryan is destined to be a regular at the podium. Many crashes in our section but I only saw one guy that was REALLY hurtin...he never made it back on his bike. BTW...about not allowing guys to pass...one guy wouldn't pull aside and they ended up getting their bikes attached... had to stop to get them apart. I'd be pissed if I was him...
    These races are a blast to watch so if you get a chance make it out to the next one.
    Great racing everyone :clap:

7. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    anyone have any pics of me?? nam??

8. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

you were so slow, that i didn't even have my camera out ... jk it was already busted when you rode by... i'm sure drew (1000 oaks) will have some sweet pics

9. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    just what are you trying to say? lol. i figure ill do the winter series in beginner. move up for sure the next series, hell, if people keep giving me as much shit as ive been getting, ill move up next race. the guy who won today absolutely killed us. man he was quick. i was super stoaked that so many people showed up to race in my class, awesome competition. that guy who wouldnt budge still didnt look like he wanted me to go by @ the wall, but i screamed "GET THE FU*% OVER, IM ON YOUR RIGHT!" and blasted him in the rocks. i just wanted that lower line over that rock section SOOO bad. i practiced so hard and last few races was so scared of that gap, i just wanted that more than 1st, 2nd, or even 5th place. oh well, next time.

SHU, i was wearing a white and black FOX jersey, blue bike. # 305Y.

10. shagginwagon

shagginwagon CH3NO2

Was a fun day , yakked with Nam , Ross , Sharky , and Ryan . Nam , thanks for the heckling --- not sure if you're supposed to be laughing while racing , but that was the smoothest I got through that section all weekend . Ross , how'd ya do ? Ryan , move up a class dammit !
    Congrats to everyone that hit the podium !

11. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    i had an awesome time at southridge. super fun practicing and reall fun race. met a lot of theSTR folk and some ppl from mtbr as well. raced in the Beginner 19-26 class and finished 8th due to massive sandbagging. felt pretty good on the course and i have a pretty good idea of wut i need to work on. cant wait for the next race

anyone who took pics i was wearing all rogue gear with a lime ass green sunday and green socks. plate number 601Y

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

the atmosphere at the fontana races is pretty laid back and friendly. I can see why more and more people are signing up. The weather today was freakin awesome also, i should have worn shorts! Hopefully i can do the next race and get a clean run

13. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Shoot! I didn't get a chance to say hi Mike, and is that Maxwell in the pic with The Path jersey on? I remember seeing him, I raced Super D as well. My day was super fun, my class in DH is so stinking fast, and there are 10 guys in it who have won races in the last year, it's a total toss up who's going to win. My bro, who won two weeks ago, made two small bobbles today, and finished 11th! I had, what I thought at least, a pretty good run and finished 7th. Oh well, more fuel for the fire next time.
    Super D is turning out to be such a blast. I started racing it two years ago, just because it was such a long wait from the finish of DH til the awards, and there would be 3 or 4 of us racing it. I think there were 10 or 11 people racing it today, and the course suited me well. The courses are such a gamble, as far as what bike to run. I went ahead with the C-Dale Rush, and man was it sketchy through some of the rock sections. My bro went with the Enduro, and suffered on the climbs. I got him by 3 seconds, I get bragging rights for the next 2 weeks!:bang: I ended up 4th in Super D, the guy that got 2nd was riding a full DH rig, and beat me by nearly 20 seconds! Oh well, he's close to 20 years younger, and races Pro DH, so that's the excuse I'm using.
    Good job to everyone, got to meet a few new faces, you people taking pics need to get out there earlier! I'm sure 1000oaks got a nice pic of me, I know he did last race. See you guys at the next one.

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sorry Ross, I did see you go by, but I wasn't ready. I noticed your bike right away though. Jason the guy who got second is the owner of Adrenalin Bikes in Orange. I rode with him at Chantry last month. Good rider to say the least. The way you flew through the rock garden section I thought you had a podium for sure.

15. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    hey sherbak and shaggin, ill massive sandbag you both. haah! theres only 4 more races in the winter series, ill more than likely finishing the series in beginner. we will see if mr. fastpeddle mcgee stays in beginner or not.

16. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    yeah i went thru that amazingly fast. and i pounded the wall. we'll have to see next time. wasnt talkin bout the dude in 2nd

yeah i think u would shred in soprt either way dude.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007
  17. shagginwagon

shagginwagon CH3NO2

Dude , you got the skillz , nut up . On the other hand , I have no skillz , so I need to move down a class , but there's nuthin below beginner . :lol: And no ghost riding bikes over jumps ......

18. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    true, i have skills. but if i go into sport ill hurt myself for sure, too much pressure on myself to go that much faster in the tech sections. right now i ride the tech sections @ a comfortable rate, and blast the flats, idk if im ready to hit the rocks that hard! oh well. ill go into sport next race .

19. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Check out MOSH rockin the shirt!

Attached Files:

20. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Some pics

PICS: Ryan on the podium AGAIN!! 3rd --His race to it --Frank (mtbracer)-- Brian (Briman) --Ross (downhillross) -- Dan (Shagginwagon)--Shaggin's friend (sorry...dohhh)-- 2 riders after detaching themselves (dang should have just let him pass)

Attached Files: