Shoulder injury advice?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Erichk, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Erichk

Erichk New Member

Yesterday I was riding a local dh trail in laguna that i've ridden many times. I was riding my friends bike that i wasnt use to riding. I went off a jump at the end of the run and my foot slipped off the pedal. There was a small double right after and i couldnt stop in time. I ended up going off the lip with my foot not on the pedal and slightly hunched over the bars because i landed awkwardly on the one before #-o Next thing i know my shoulder is on fire and i cant lift it. I went to the doctor and got it x-rayed. There was a fracture on my humorus right where it meets the shoulder joint. I find out monday if i need surgery. If anyone has had anything similar to this, how long did it take you to get back out and riding again?

2. El Rey

El Rey New Member

bookbinder
    been there broke that just below the joint they opted not to do the surgery, if you have the choice go with the surgery. It took me over 4 months to heal. they had me in a sling for awhile then put a plastic cup-like brace. The thing with me was since I couldn't use my shoulder it stiffened up So do the physical therapy good luck.

3. OnYourLeft

OnYourLeft New Member

I had a similar injury - broken Glenoid (where the humerus goes into the shoulder), but I ended up tearing the labrum and supraspinatus (rotator cuff). The fracture wasn't that big of a deal, but the labrum repair was pretty extensive. After surgery, the rehab process was 4 months with a lot of physical therapy, which is a must! Good luck and I hope it turns out not to be a big deal...

4. Erichk

Erichk New Member

Thanks, i sure hope so, i need to get back to work and riding

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I did the same thing last Aug. Had surgery 3 weeks later.
    2 weeks after that I began physical therapy.
    Did 25 days of PT. As soon as I was able to begin strength training, I started to ride.I was off the bike for about 8 weeks. Back on the bike by mid October, doing light rides.
    I ended up with a plate and 8 screws in my shoulder. Turns out I also had a hairline fracture horizontal to the bone in between the 2 sets of screws that did not show up in the MRI.
    My break did not hurt....however I was not able to lift my arm straight out in front of me.....my break was right underneath the rotator cuff, so every time I tried to lift it, it would pull on the bone chip.
    I had the option of surgery or no surgery.....glad I went under the knife....recovery was much quicker....got to begin PT much sooner.
    Tested the shoulder out a few weeks ago going OTB and it handled it just fine.[​IMG] photo (1).JPG photo.JPG

6. Erichk

Erichk New Member

mine is a little lower, so hopefully i wont need a plate or screws, heres the xray
    Shoulder x-ray.jpg

7. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Thanks Jason for answering some questions. I just had a similar surgery to mtbbikej so I can skip the details and get right to the x-rays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Nice........WHen do you get to start PT?

9. Hanzo

Hanzo .

I get the stitches out today and PT starts Thursday. The arm is all stiff from lack of movement, so I can't wait to start PT. I may PM you about what PT that you did.