Road Ride Report Short Loop first time on a Road bike

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by A D NOH, Sep 30, 2009.

1. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    Hello,
    A friend of a friend let me borrow his road bike so today I was able to finally take it for a spin.
    I must say that it was scarier than I thought. I've done 40 on my mountain bike, 30+ on dirt, but on a road bike 36mph was scary! I guess I have not adjusted to the riding position yet.

Overall I was impressed with the ride and think that I will add it to my exercise line up as I really need to get in shape.

Stats:
    11.3 miles
    14.7 mph avg.
    950 ft elevation
    46 minute ride length

It seems that Aliso has such great areas to ride on the road or on the dirt! I am happy I moved out here. Hopefully, I will be able to ride my bike to work once a week or so in the future. (When I get some more miles and my own bike)

Anyone know any good routes to get from Aliso Viejo to Portola Springs/Woodbury area?

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

You can ride the 133. I rode it once just after 5pm and it wasn't too bad if you stay far right.

OC has much more and much nicer bike paths/routes than up here. With the local mountain highways up here closed for the last month i've been riding quite a bit of road rides in OC and you guys have some kick ass routes.

check geoladders and click OC, plenty of routes there for random rides of all lengths

edit: anything that goes through Santiago Canyon is a good one, like this route
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=206

3. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

did i see you riding behind a guy fully kitted on pacific park heading towards enterprise close to 6pm tonight?

yes aliso is a great city to ride good hilly climbs there's a lot you can do but most of my rides during the summer lead out to to 133 over to shady canyon up newport coast to pch to back bay to irvine bike trail back home...so many variations to choose from

best route to portola springs/woodbury is to take the aliso creek bike trail to trabuco...trabuco turns into irvine blvd and from there it's a slight downhill to irvine. if you happen to latch onto a group you can get moving at a good clip just make sure you take your turn up front doing some pulling :)

4. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    Haha, me in front of a pack? I'd probably just slow down the pack and they'd be pissed.

Thanks for the info about the route foofighter, and thanks for the link davidb (ahh arcadia- the home of my favorite taiwanese cafe)