Shitmano is at it again

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Like always this company is looking for ways to part us from our hard eaned cash. Here's a perfect example:

I've become frustrated lately by the push to 10-speed drivetrain components by my No. 1 parts maker, Shimano.

It's the same feeling I had when Campagnolo made the move a few years back. It's one reason I lost interest in that company.

"What's the problem?" you might ask. "We have a choice of 9 speed or 10 speed, right?"

Wrong! Try to find a Dura-Ace 9s front derailleur, for instance. Most parts houses simply don't carry them anymore. "They're discontinued," they say. "Everyone is using 10 speed now."

I beg to differ. Everyone who purchased a medium- to high-level bike from my shop in the last 5 or 6 years is running 9s drivetrains. It was only last year that 10s appeared on bikes we sell in any numbers. So not "everyone" is using 10s now.

Would you love to have Shimano's new compact crank with its outboard bearings, slick looks and smooth operation? Sorry, it's only 10s. If you want to use it on your 9s bike you'll need to replace the front derailleur with a 10s model and use a 10s chain. Otherwise it will not work.

As a mechanic whose duty is to fix things, telling a customer that what was once a simple repair is now going to cost an arm and a leg and a mortgage payment doesn't go over very well. It sounds embarrassingly like a sales pitch. "But I just got this bike last year! How can it be obsolete eight months later?" That's a good question, and "it's not my fault" is not a good answer.

But I'm stubborn and tricky. I search high and low until I find a supplier that "overbought" 9-speed components that are now gathering dust. I buy as many as my meager shop account will allow.

With time on my hands in the winter months, I discovered that by adding 0.6-mm spacers between the small chainring and crankarm, I can turn a "10-speed only" crank into a perfectly functioning 9s -- without changing the front derailleur or the chain. Hah! Got 'em.

2. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

??? dont see chit ehh!!:-s :clap: #-o

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Es mas bueno, mi amigo:wave:

4. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
  5. b-rad!

b-rad! Ski Bum

I definitely see your point, however, i'm a fan of the new 10spd. To me, it operates significantly smoother as well as offers closer cassette ratios, which can be important in some aspects of cycling. Just like when your mountain bike went from 6-7-8-now 9 speed. Shift happens!:lol:

Also, keep in mind that some of it is backwards compatable. You can run 10spd chainrings, fr and rr deraileurs on a 9spd drivetrain. The only issue might be rubbing on the frt der. in certain gear combos. Nothing a little shifter trim wont fix!

6. bikebike69

bikebike69 New Member

Personal Trainer
    Whats a deraileur?............Singlespeed rules.

7. Burner

Burner WAWE

I think the bike in your avatar has one 8)

8. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I actually like the new style 10 speed rear ultegra rear derailleur, it is extremely light and durable. I have been running it on my Yeti Asx with 9 speed for about 6 months and have had great results.

9. ApexMan

ApexMan So fresh I'm fly!

draftsman
    [-X Rohloff rule. :lol: