RR - Southridge Annual/Merged threads

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by davidB, Nov 23, 2008.

1. davidB

davidB Active Member

I guess I'll start this off, but I wish I had some cool or great story to go along with it about how my race went. That was very much not the case. The XC race on Saturday goes together with two races in the last couple months as a mini "series". In those 2 races I got 1st and 3rd, while another guy got 2nd both times. Coming into the XC race yesterday, we were tied obviously, but I was bummed because he never showed. :(

I won the Triple Crown jersey, which was quite "colorful", due to default. Boooooooo.

Anywho, come race time I feel good, see a couple familiar faces in my class, and wait forever to get started.

Going out of the gate pretty fast I was I think 2nd in my class when we hit the first big climb (pavement climb). Unfortunately, while shifting, my chain gets sucked into the spokes badly. I have to flip my bike, take the wheel off, wrestle the chain out, and get it put back together. In doing so, everyone in my class passed me. :( To add insult to injury, I see my one and only water bottle rolling down the concrete 20 yards or so. #-oAfter hunting that down, I wasn't able to catch anyone in my class for quite a while. Once I do that, my water bottle takes a flying leap off the trail once again. And I get passed by 2 guys I had worked to catch.

good news, out of 7 people, I got back to 4th place, and finished a personal best 47 minute lap. My first race there in the Winter Series, I put up a 1 hour 5 minute race and had to walk one of the climbs. So taking off 20 minutes on my lap time, and being around the 45 minute mark, which is where I should be for moving up to Sport come next winter, I feel sort of better.

I know there were a handful of other STR members racing XC that day, though i think we had more STR women than men (Denmother, ohyeah89, h2ochick, roger). Two of them raced each other for 1st and 2nd place, with only 10 seconds separating them. :clap: Brian (Boingboing) also took first in his class of more than a half dozen. There should be pictures out there for those....

But here's what I really looked forward to.

DH! No I didn't race, but I really wanted to watch it at least once this year, and here's some photos of STR peeps I snapped...

I'm going off the numbers on the RSVP list or if I know who you are. Otherwise I took pictures of nearly every DH racer so post up your number if I missed you.

Adrian (Foesnasty)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rallyfox

[​IMG]

Jeff (J_sims)

[​IMG]

Chuck (HappyGilmore)

[​IMG]

Lala?

[​IMG]

Mark (TrojanInsomniac)

[​IMG]

Roger

[​IMG]

Marshall Willanholly (Eric)
    [​IMG]

dhshuttlemonkey

[​IMG]

CBHarping (Carla)

[​IMG]

anywho, i know there's more, but a few I missed, and others I don't recognize without numbers (i'm looking at you mfoga)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  2. guero

guero iFroth

nice RR and even nicer photos! man, some of you DH bubbs look pretty intimidating with all that armor and the FF helmets.

3. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
  4. slayer

slayer New Member

thanks for the pics and RR. i wanted to get out there and watch, but i'm not cleared to drive yet.

5. davidB

davidB Active Member

Quite a colorful jersey us XC Triple Crown Series winners got. It'll go great with lycra!
    [​IMG]

:-s

6. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Great RR and pics, David! Congrats on winning the series as well! This was my second downhill race, and I ended up finishing 14th out of 24 or so riders. Overall, I was pretty happy with the results.........more so that I didn't eat $hit bad on my run than anything. After a really crappy last work week, the race couldn't had come at a better time. I got a chance to ride the new bike a little more, and best of all, hang out with great friends. Anyway, I'll definitely be working on my skills, and perhaps one day I can stand on the podium :bang:

Also, a huge congratulations to Chuck (Happy Gilmore) on his first place finish!!!!!!!!

7. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

Those pics rock.... thanks bro!!!!!!! I look like I know what I'm doing...

My RR goes like this.... I really liked the DH course, ya it had few pedal sections but hey "IT'S FONTANA"... I did 5 runs on Saturday and 2 practice runs today... My last practice run was great.... that's not always a good sign... In my race run I blew two corners and had to dis- and then remount the bike... that's takes a little time... Oh well... I got a 3.33.02 which was good enough for 12th.... there was only 14 of us...hahahahahaha.... I'm healthy and can go work tommorrow so I'd say it was a great weekend... thanks to all that came out and raced or supported....

8. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

David 754Z:wave:

Drop D were you the guy behind the rock who was just about run into early?

So my race went mmm not as planned. Tweaked my ankle (again) on last run Sat. Sun practice first group up, but felt like I had never rode a bike before and after three crashes later my ankle was killing me. So I stay off the bike and then just miss the last practice shuttle. So with the bad run fresh in my mind I go out for my race run very tight. I crash and get tangled in tape#-o then lose all speed on saddle and then bounce my way down next rock section hittin my pedals on almost every single rock i could. Then come down a tad more and what do you know i crash again. Get up figure I am about to passed finally losen up and ride the rest pretty well. At least i didnt crash in front of everyone in the last rock garden:lol:

Past that still had a great time. It just as much as hanging and riding with friends then it is about results, but yeah results make it better.

Congrats to all the STR riders that killed it today.

9. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I had to work today. My schedule is changing so I might be able to race the next one. I better start saving up my money.

It looks like everyone had a great time. Dave took some great picture as always.

I missed out. I did ride the course on Friday that was fun.

10. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    And you say I have bad luck.:lol:

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Oh yeah David if you post up an album we can identify lots of them most likely.

Yeah but I cam out in one piece:?::lol::lol:

12. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    mfoga: I was at the bottom before the finish line on your left behind the rocks :wave:

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Ok not the one i thought you were he was next to you. Based on pics you were not there yet because you would remember this part it was a close call and one hell of a save.

14. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I was sick on Fri and Sat and got one practice run in today that was thankfully in no way like the practice run. I was sketchy at best but still made it to the finish line able to go to work tomorrow. pulled a 3:43 which put me in 12th spot. Like Foesnasty's class we only had 14. so HAHAHAHA!! Good new is I only have 10 seconds to make up to royally irritate Foesnasty. Just kidding.

Today was another example of all the cool people that are at the Southridge events. From the riders to Sharky taking the shots we all love to the Division 26 peeps to Donnie's crew. All good people.

Mad Props go to my boy Johnny who raced his 1st DH race today. Fell, broke two fingers and still took 3rd. I guess he's got a few bragging rights.

Congrats to everyone that raced today and thanks to Dino for encouraging me on my run when things started to fall apart.

Mott

15. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    ok so I guess you were not the one that OTB'ed and hugged those rocks right next to me then :-k

16. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Great pics and congrats....

RR : Well I had a fantastic weekend riding with all my friends and seeing a lot of faces that I have not seen in quite a while. Great seeing Mark out on his New M6 and a coup-le of NEW racers out for their first times...

I managed to put together great practice runs all weekend and that is about where that ended... Got all wadded up in a corner which turned into a yard sale that lasted at least 75 - 100 yards, a couple of corners and quite a few rocks later all was finally well again pinned it through the bottom of the course and ended up in7th out of 10 in my class... I am sure Dino has picks but it was UGLY and lasted forever... If I was a spectator I would have cried for the individual living that hell...

Regardless... again a fantastic weekend riding and racing with friends...:bang:

17. skate

skate Member

Wait a minute......Are you rolling a Fox. What's up with that man.

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Was Johnny the guy who hit the eazy up at the end? That was nasty.

19. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Congratulations to all who competed! :clap:

SPECIAL congratulations to:
    *** Carla (CB Harping).... Her bike handling skills have GREATLY improved! :clap:
    *** Happy Gilmore for taking home 1st Place is his 1st ever race!!! :clap:

20. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I so wanted to come. But the kids wanted yo go ride instead of watching you all ride. So I gave in and took them riding instead. How could I say no.