Rotor XTR Q-Rings on 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by culturesponge, Aug 5, 2009.

1. culturesponge

culturesponge keep on keeping on

so i went ahead and installed a 44t Rotor Q-Ring + modded XTR FD this evening, because i didn't need to remove the crankset to access the Stumpy's DMD FD it was an easier job than first imagined, it only took about an hour in total

i seriously recommend these clever Spanish eliptical Q-Rings for anyone with knee problems or just in need a little advantage on climbs, won't be putting them on my bikes though

...its time to go and wear them out

see you out on the trails

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. davidB

davidB Active Member

I'm confused why someone would do this to a XTR crankset, when next to weight, the chain rings and shifting seem to be the best part. [​IMG]

edit: gimmick or no?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  3. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

The idea of these rings is to even out the dead spot in your pedal stroke. A lot of pros are running these lately, I'd consider trying them if they weren't so friggin expensive.

4. culturesponge

thanks, not as quite expensive from King Barcelona - but still put the kabush on any clubs or restaraunts for the rest of the month

the 2 inner rings worked so well mrs culturesponge (flavia) is literally 2mph faster climbing on Sullivan Ridge, we've ridden that fireroad often several times a week for years & years, now suddenly she's nearly faster than me - its terrific!

...had to get the 44t on just to tidy things up, looked weird with the XTR outer on - though probably not as advantageous as those 23/33t inner rings

5. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

so biopace is making a comeback?

6. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I'm loving the multiple zip-tie look.

7. culturesponge

fugly or what?.. . she has spastic ankles when pedalling hard so the arms were taking a beating and needed some protection

would have taken it off for the snapshot - but instead are keeping it real!

8. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

whatever works for you.....

9. culturesponge

it works for her! her '08 addidas hammer mtb shoes with metal lacing guides were gouging into that crankarm

10. Banning

Banning New Member

How does it shift now?

11. culturesponge

obviously not lighting fast as XTR, there are a few lifters on the Q-Rings but not as many, also abit noiser shifting while climbing/stressing the chain. 200 miles so far with the 2 inner Q-Rings, no drama or chain drop + reliably snapy shifts

its being used with SRAM X.O gripshifters which can easily be fine tuned on the trails - which is always a handy thing to have

i can see why some pro racers are using them, but if wasn't boredom driving the need to help get mrs culturesponge faster uphills - its alot of bother & expense for just 5-10% more legpower!

12. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    mrs culturesponge climbs in the big ring?

13. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    There's a company called Crankskins that make crank protectors if you're so inclined.

[​IMG]

They even make clear ones if animal prints and gaudy colors aren't your thing :)

http://www.crankskins.com

14. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

I was gonna suggest the crankskins also but I think she would wear them out each ride, or even each stroke.

15. culturesponge

thanks, its a great product - but if you can see anything clearly in that dark snapshot there's something like that on there already

the metal lace guides on her shoes tore through cut down lizardskin neoprene sanction covers wrapped around the crankarm, then some kevlar chainstay protector didn't last more than a few rides, the fugly slippy plastic + zipties are the only thing that holds up

anyway its a Stumpy, a bike for riding not the cover of a bike mag

16. culturesponge

hah, i don't expect alot of hammering up 6º inclines on the outer chainring all of a sudden from her (i might if i get a turn on her bike!) funny enough though, we climb gradients on every chainring ring at some point on every ride so it will get used

at least now all the rings match up, and i have a spare set of XTR chainrings to upgrade an XT crankset

17. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Maybe try different shoes that doesn't use metal lace guides, but leave the crank protection on there. Or modify the metal lace guide somehow.

18. culturesponge

i've wasted so much time trying to keep those XTR crankarms looking nice

one time i covered the metal on the shoes with silicone (the type that seals bathroom tiles) thought i was really clever when it worked great for 2 rides but then it was rubbed off and the gouging began again

now she has insoles in her mtb shoes that might have helped abit - but doesn't. no rubbing probs with her other shoes (Specialized) but they make her feet hot and hurt after a couple of hours

anyway the crankset's not a family heirloom, we nabbed a couple OE (new/unused taken off a built up bike) from Chain Reaction for $280 each + free shipping last December - so not loosing any sleep if they start to look used

i'm more pleased that she's concentrating on getting up the climb than if her bike still looks pretty, but i still coach her to keep her feet straight if i spot her shoes looking abit spaz

19. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

didn't shimano buy patents to Rotors QRing???

I have 2 sets - green in color, for shimano "XTR M970 cranks 175mm". Free to whoever wants it, I'll be posting it in the "Pay it forward thread".

IMO - XTR cranksets look better beatup :)

20. culturesponge

gimmick no, and not the same as biopace - why would Shimano buy Q-Ring's patent? (allegedly)

follow up after riding with the full set of rings:

the mrs says that with just 2 inner Q Rings, shifting from outer XTR M970 to inner Q-Ring's no change was noticeable, no pigeon walk or funky bob (i've been riding mtb long enough to remember demo'ing a friends Stumpy with biopace last century & hated it). simply put she's now able to ride the same gradient with a lower gear while putting in the same effort but climbing alot faster - now all i need is Shimano to start making them alot cheaper (hopes) so i can afford a set as well

there is a weight difference
    44t Q-Ring-75g, M970 (44t) 82.5g
    33t Q-Ring-36g, M970 (32t) 43g
    23t Q-Ring-26g, M970 (22t) 23g

also shifting is just slightly not as sweet as XTR & probably hard riding in grit/mud would destroy the chainrings alot sooner than XTR

if i end with a 29" Stumpy hardtail next year, i'd deffo consider Q-Rings to compensate for the gearing change from 26” wheels