Redlands Strada Rossa Mixed Surface Ride - March 15

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by cyclotourist, Jan 30, 2014.

1. CarlS

CarlS Member

I was frustrated at first, I couldn't get the bead to climb up and seat. I guess I should have removed the valve stem for more air flow. I finally got it to seat with a whole bunch of stans, it oozed out all around both sides of the rim and helped fill in the space air was escaping, and then finally it popped up into place. took forever and made a big mess. And that was the 1.95. Can't wait to try the 1.75

I'm hoping when cyclotourist puts up the official route, some fuel-up / water refill stops will be marked. Going to be a tough one for me, I'm a bit intimidated! just going to run two bottles, and maybe somethng in the back pockets.

2. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Carl, nothing to be intimidated by! The mileage is doable, just ride your own pace. The climbs are not terribly steep (although plenty of them!), and with fantastic views to keep your brain busy. It's decently rated on the epic scale, but definitely not meant to make people swear off bikes for good!
    I recommend rigging up a seat/frame bag for extra water bottle and food. Camelback would work just as well. Right about half way in Calimesa there is full service options @ AM/PM, Cheveron, Toxic Hell, Bugger King on Sandalwood/Calimesa Blvd intersection.

3. Rolling Fat Guy

Rolling Fat Guy New Member

7000 ft. is going to hurt.

I'm using my 29'r, a hydration pack, and both water bottles will be in the cages.

I live close to one of the dirt sections (Woodhouse), so my family will be giving me SAG assistance if needed.

Did you guys make a final decision about the Crafton climbs?

4. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    Where's parking for this? Meeting in downtown Redlands, right?

5. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Probably the concrete structure formally known as the Redlands Mall.

6. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

Carriage trail out of Redlands or just road?
    It would be interesting to see road bikes handling the huge drop out of Sunset...

7. CarlS

CarlS Member

I don't know ANY of the trails up there, this is going to be a fun adventure. I found this doing a quick search for "carriage trail" cool video. I can only hope there will be parts of it like this:

[video=vimeo;40801421]http://vimeo.com/40801421[/video]

8. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Carriage Trail for sure, but oh, how to get to it... muah-ha-ha-ha...

9. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Yessss!!! That's Sean & Matt. Be sure to follow them! Actual Carraige Trail starts @ 4:05 in the video. Before that is Pepper Tree and Deer Trail.

Here's one of my fave photos of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/7858198048/in/photostream/lightbox/

10. Rolling Fat Guy

Does that mean Woody's Drop In?

11. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

I guess the muah-ha-ha was a bit over the top... no, not Woody's, but still something that will take a bit of work to get you there.

12. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    Couple quick questions, I know you mentioned some gas stations and similar places to pick up water, but are there any public parks or other places that will be marked out (if available) to refill bottles or hydration pack? I end up burning through tons of water to move my massive clydesdale frame and probably bring 5L in two bladders but my bike doesn't fit a bottle well and I'm not sure it will be enough if it ends up being warm. Either that or maybe have to suck up the weight and bring a small cable lock if I need to run into a store.

Second question, even if the course was finalized and posted today I likely won't be able to pre-ride and not being familiar with the area, are the major turns going to be marked? Also are you planning to post a ridewithgps.com, Garmin Connect ,etc. route in .tcx format with the turns/waypoints marked? Be a nice backup in addition to a paper map.

Otherwise thanks for the updates and effort to everyone putting this together. It's looking to be fun ride.

13. CarlS

CarlS Member

Good points, I am concerned about this as well. I will probably be in the back of the group as I'm sure to be slower on a mountain bike. I assumed there would be a course we can download somewhere, but if the gps fails and I get dropped, I'm screwed.

14. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    You won't be in the back alone! Look for me :) It will be great to know where food and water is available to plan where to rest. I went to the AutoClub and got a map of the Redlands area in case I need to bail and take a road back to my truck and beer.

My thanks to those setting this up, I am sure it takes a huge team effort.

15. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

We're purposely being coy about the route for two reasons: 1)We don't want to have multiple routes out there with portions being incorrect. We've changed a bunch of sections over the last two months and don't want to have to keep updating! 2)We want to maintain a bit of a mystique/adventure with this. Expect the unexpected, prepare for anything, be self-contained!

That said, the official pre-ride is on Saturday the 8th. From that, the final route map is going to be uploaded to Ride w/ GPS. You can download, or print it, or mark up a AAA map for a whole week!!!

Locals will be at an advantage as they can know the bail out routes (and also where to cut corners). And those are both fine! I mentioned it on the blog if not here: if you're not feeling it, we want you to quit and go get a beer! If it's not fun, then knock it off!!! We're not making you wear a GPS transponder or making you check in at way points! After the final route is published, please ask ANY questions about bail outs and I or one of the other locals would be happy to give suggestions.

As for food & H20, there is public water @ miles 15, 45 & 59. Gas station/Taco Bell sort of things at mile 41. And of course food and beer at mile 66. Plan accordingly.

Right now, 66 miles, 7,200+ ft of climbing! If you're not miserable at some point of it, we're not doing it right! But if you aren't smiling at the end of it, then we REALLY messed up!!! The past week's storms were perfect, as the hills are instantly green again and the trails are nice and tacky! Probably going to dry out some before the 15th though.

Also, a shout out re. the t-shirts. They're really nice and relatively cheap at $20. Any profit coming in from them is going right back into the IEBA, which is good people. Consider getting one if you haven't! Follow the directions here (a bit convoluted, we know): https://ieba.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=961736

16. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    How come everytime I check this thread, there is a couple hundred more feet of climbing? :) I am getting afraid to check it!! LOL
    This will be fun. . .
    Since I have only a Garmin Edge 500 which doesn't allow me to download maps, does anyone know if the map could be downloaded on an app on an IPhone?

17. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    :lol:
    Indeed. I'm still waiting for the next update... "we managed to add another awesome super-secret section to make this a 10k feet ride to remember..."

I'm not sure on the iPhone apps, but I've taken Garmin .tcx and .gpx files and used a converter to change them to .kml and open in Google Earth on my Android phone. Probably not good for active navigation but if you just want to open and track the general course and position on a map the Garmin formats can generally be converted and opened in other apps.

18. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

You've got me figured out!!! Total bait and switch!

FYI, 10 day weather says sunny and 81F for the 15th. Pretty exposed ride, not much of any shade on the route. Be prepared!!!

Don't forget to check the blog that's updated w/ pertinent info: http://redlands-strada-rossa.blogspot.com/

As well as the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/events/253431688149599

19. Rolling Fat Guy

Do we have a route yet?

20. Rolling Fat Guy