Redlands Strada Rossa Mixed Surface Ride - March 15

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by cyclotourist, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Thanks Riis. Got my T ordered.

2. CarlS

CarlS Member

Looks like a bunch of us on the waiting list just got in? I got an email this morning saying more to come? Are T-shirts still availale? Yikes! guess I need to stop drinking beer and start riding some road rides.

Am I going to be the only one on a fat tire mountain bike?

3. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I just got my "good-to-go" email last night....this should be fun! I also ordered a t-shirt, use the info in post #20 of this thread for the link.

I was wondering about being the only fat tire rider too!! I will be on a white SC Tallboy......

4. CarlS

CarlS Member

yea, thanks. I just got done with the T-shirt order thing after reading that earlier post.

I will be on a silver/raw Jet-9. I'm thinking of trying out some skinny tires for this ride. I'm looking at the Vee Rubber V-12s on Jensons 29x1.95. I wonder how well they set up tubeless.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Tires/Vee-Rubber-Vee-12-29-Tire

5. LaH

LaH New Member

Hey Carl, I pre rode the course on a 26" mountain bike. You won't be the only mountain biker there.

6. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    Anyone looking to carpool? I wouldn't mind catching a ride. I am in Fullerton.

7. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Varioius random updates: There will be an 8:00 & a 9:00 start. 8:00 for those that think they're going to need more time. There are going to be some tough guys & gals in the 9:00 start, it is going to be fast. We want everyone done by 4:00. The final route is going to be published on March 9th. It's similar to the one that has been shown, but with some significant changes. You don't know all the route yet!!! There is going to be 7,000ft (6,940 to be exact!)of climbing. MTBs will be fine, but swap out for some tires that roll good on pavement. Tubeless could be a god-send as non-locals have had trouble w/ goathead punctures. If not running tubeless, get some removable cored tubes and put some Stans in them. Trust me on that. Obviously rigid would be better, but if you have good lock outs, it's okay. If it rains this weekend, the ground should be PERFECT. If we don't get a good soaking, there are definitely some sandy sections that fatter tires will be perfect for. Gotta' give a lot of props to Jenson: they're having seven employees out there! Hopefully future sponsers when we go legit someday!!!

I want to say that this is going to be a GREAT ride. Incredibly exicted about it. A lot of people have come together and put a lot of time and $$$ into making this happen. What's awesome is that the trails and roads are all open/public, so it can be replicated in whole or part in the future. We are very much planning on this being an annual event, and want it to promote the great riding and open spaces in and around Redlands/Loma Linda/Yucaipa!

After party is donation based, but we hope you appreciate the work and are able to find a little something to help support the IEBA. Also, if you have any sort of bikes or parts you want to donate, the Redlands Bike BBQ is hosting the start and would greatly appreciate your cast-offs!

Thanks for the positive buzz on this, I wish I posted this earlier to give your more time to plan and sign up.

8. LaH

LaH New Member

Just curious, why the last minute release of the route?

9. emejay

dentist
    Thanks for the updates....looks like a lot more climbing!!! Is it still about half road n half dirt? Still about 63 miles? What will the situation be for water-food?.....I understand there is no SAG or support.

Since I'm on a 29er, you will see me at the 8:00 lineup :)' and I think I will dump in a little more Stan"s....more is better??
    BTW I ordered a t-shirt, and might order another as they look cool!

10. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

We want it to be 100% accurate when we release it, and it's just taking that long to finalize every little bit of it. We work hard so you don't have to!:)

No SAG, no support. That should be in all caps, really. Everyone on this needs to be totally self-sufficient. We don't have the staffing, or the inclination for it :) Bring food and water. There are a couple parks on the route, as well as Kwik-E-Mart sort of places to get a week old hot dog.

Mileage is going to be right around 65 with a little extra we added, probably going to be a touch over 50% dirt now. We cut out a chunk of road, and were able to link some great singletrack into it! In fact a rider testing that section out over the weekend said it was some of the most fun singletrack she's ever been on! That was while on a CX bike. And yeah, gonna' be some climbing on it, so you can warm up for Vision Quest!

And glad you like the shirts! I think they look great!

11. riiz

riiz Member

I Assume we pick up the shirts at the start?

12. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

And/or the end.

13. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Have to catch the next one...

14. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    7,000 feet? Uggh, I better get some training in.

15. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

VAST majority of climbing is on dirt!

16. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I think that makes it even harder. Uggh, more training then...

17. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Tougher physically, but better mentally to be "out there". Yeah, better start getting ready!!!:)

Good news about the rain coming in: It's going to really tamp down the trails and make some optimal conditions!

18. CarlS

CarlS Member

19. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    For anyone else looking for a decent all-around MTB tire that rolls well on pavement I recently picked up a 29x2.10 Schwalbe Smart Sam (HS 367, wire-bead, Performance series) for under $30 shipped on Amazon. I've ran it before in the 26" size on my old bike as a front and tried it as a rear on the 29'er matched with a light Rocket Ron front.

I ended up doing the full Tour de Palm Springs century on it a couple weeks ago and have done a ton of other mixed road/trail riding and it's worn very well. When aired up it's great on the road and with a little lower air pressure handles moderate and hard-packed dirt and fire roads really well. Downside are I couldn't get a bike shop to order it locally and although pretty average for weight, for the size I got the North American distributor only has their Performance line without the SnakeSkin so the sidewall might not be best for tubeless if you run low pressure in really rocky areas.

20. emejay

dentist
    Why no tubeless? Wouldn't hold air?
    ...and what are your plans-thoughts on food n water?