Race Report: Southridge Winter Series Race #5 (Finals) 3/6-7/Photos (merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Mar 6, 2010.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

So, who raced XC and SD today, and how did you do???

DH practice went well and the rain held off until 3:30pm. Should be great dirt tomorrow?

2. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Raced Super D. Got 5th in Beg. Men. :bang:

The course was a blast. It was a little rough getting practice runs in because it crossed a few parts of the XC course. The lower section seemed to include a lot of the former dh courses, very fast and rutted traverses, perfect for a 5-6" bike (or if you're young with mad skills, a hardtail!). Not much climbing, but a wall-like sprint to the finish. I ran out of legs today. I shouldn't have "self shuttled" as much. haha

I will be doing this more often!

3. davidB

davidB Active Member

Raced XC. Sport 27-34, 6 riders today.

Led the 1st lap with a good lead, couldn't believe it.

Led the 2nd lap with a slight lead, couldn't believe it.

Got caught at the very beginning of the 3rd lap by what I thought was 1 guy. I paced him until the pavement climb thinking I could pass him at the end of the lap. He stood up and hammered and I tried to follow. My lower back seemed to cramp or just stop me in my tracks in pain. This only happens when racing, and I need to figure it out. I let him go but kept him not too far ahead, but I could never catch back up.

Got to the finish after a nice crash in the newly cut trail, thinking I had 2nd. Apparently when I let him go another guy in our class followed him, leaving me with 3rd.

And so goes my never ending tale of finishing just behind the same two guys for every race of this winter series.

4. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    But your ass looked good!

I hate to see you leave but love to watch you go!

5. davidB

davidB Active Member

Thanks Gabe. Your beautiful mug is always a pleasure to see in Fontucky. /sarcasm

6. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    Hey David,

sorry I keep callin' you Brian... I'll get it right... good job today third is great IMHO

Scott

7. RYAN E

RYAN E New Member

First super d race. 5th in pro!

8. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    I came in 9th out of 14 in XC Mens Sport 43-50. That part was okay, I wasn't expecting to do too well after being sick and not riding. What sucked was my 3rd place in the overall changed to 6th place with this race and its double points. The podium? As Maxwell Smart always says, "Missed it by that much."

Maybe I should just start racing SS. I'd get on the podium every time! (along with the one or two other guys ;))

9. rcmtb

rcmtb New Member

high school student
    it was my first race ever and i raced super D on a hardtail but i crashed and took 2nd in beg.18&under with a time of 6:16

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
  10. MikeLord

MikeLord Lost in LA

eCommerce/Technical Consultant
    Home Page:
    Here are some pictures. I wont be able to process todays photos until Monday so here are some for now and I'll add a few as I go along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rcmtb

rcmtb New Member

high school student
    BTW Super D on a hardtail is a bad idea
    atleast thats what my body is telling me#-o

12. whybother

whybother New Member

The Mann show had a good day. Course was awesome. I had some super close racing but unfortunately dropped my chain handing my competition the winning gap. Allison had a good training race collecting power data (and a first place).

So awesome to see all of our racing buddies!!!!

13. SamKT

SamKT Member

Computer Geek
    Took 4th again in XC (Beginner 27-34) and 3rd in Super D (Beginner Men) today. This was my second XC race and my first Super D. My goal today in XC was to close the gap to 3rd and maybe keep him in sight. Managed to close the gap, but lost sight of of him on the climb after the road on the second lap. I need to work on climbing faster.

My goal on the SD course was to not go over the bars so mission successful there. I really need to work on cornering, that's where I lose a lot of speed and I know I can carry a lot more momentum through them if I work on it. My practice runs were much better than my race run. I panicked coming around a corner to find the guy in front of me standing there with his bike (was that you rcmtb?) and went off the course, groined myself on the back of my seat, and I think I nearly took out a photographer and a spectator. Got back on the course, but I had a hard time getting my mind back on track. I took some really bad lines, hit things I should have floated over, and braked way too hard afterwards. But even with all that, I thought the course was great fun and am very happy with how I did. You can expect to see me doing Super D again in the future as long as I still have legs after XC.

14. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

4th in Super D Beg men. Top half of the course was fun!

15. rcmtb

rcmtb New Member

high school student
    Yea that was me8-[ sorry to screw up your run i was coming down the hill and got caught in the one ruts i was trying to avoid. I guess you really do go were you look.

16. kanga

kanga Active Member

I had a great time again. I rode the Super D course about 8 times on Friday, plus one night ride down the Super D and DH course with Just Ride (Cody) who got there late on Frday.

I decided that my nearly bald Big Betty wasn't going to cut it, and put on the only other tire I had with me, a mutanoraptor. At least it was new and had Knobs. It was a midnight adventure getting the tubeless setup done which didn't get finished until Saturday morning when I had access to a co2.

My one Saturday practice run proved this tire wasn't much better, but I did do a 4:40 run for my last practice, once the lower half of the course was marked.

My Super D race run started with a near OTB on the first rock. Nervous? Taking things too seriously? Focusing mentally on one troublesome off-camber rut that had proven difficult for my tires (rear is almost slick and kept sliding down into the rut). I don't know. Maybe I cared a little more about how I did than my first ever Super D two weeks ago. After that embarrassing boof, I just had to laugh at myself and then I relaxed and had a decent run, 4:29, 5th in expert.

Cody on his hardtail with a crash did 4:18 for 2nd place. Kids these days!

Afterwards we went and did a few runs on the DH course in the rain. I had to leave last night and am not doing the DH today. It was a good time and good to see some some friends in person after way too much time just on FB and STR.

Next stop, Keyesville. :)

17. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    xc photos? was hoping to make it out for a race before us cup, but didnt... looking forward to getting out there

18. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    Hoping next DH race is actually Down Hill

Congratulations to Chuckie108 For 2nd in Expert DH :bang:

19. SamKT

SamKT Member

Computer Geek
    No worries, you didn't screw up my run. It's all on me - I wasn't looking all the way through the turn and panicked. My own fault and my lack of experience. I'm happy I didn't actually wreck when I went off the course.

20. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    I was out all weekend shooting. Loved that the rain started as I was walking back to my car after shooting 4X then started again about 5 min after I started driving home.

Ill start uploading the pictures as soon as I can.
    XC Race
    Super D Race
    4X Race
    Sunday DH Practice
    Sunday DH Race
    Jump session during DH awards

www.BlueFirePictures.com

Hope the kid that crashed jumping is ok. Broken leg = not good.