Race Report: 2010 Fontana City National/Pro XCT/Golden State

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by heith, Mar 26, 2010.

1. heith

heith Member

management
    I rode the XC course yesterday. It's very nice compared to previous "shortened" course's. They did a good job and someone went to town on it with a bobcat. The course is 90% the same but there is some technical single track added after the water tower climb and after the usual water tower descent. It adds about 2.5 minutes to your lap times but gives you a chance to recover for the descent.
    I'm racing Cat 2 35 and don't really expect to do great but it sure is fun. oh, run a fast tire on the rear if you don't already know like a small B-8 or Python. No sand or loose stuff to worry about at all.

2. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

Pro/Expert course top section is the same as WS#3. After it goes up and over the saddle it gets super gnar! Guys were blowing up yard sale style.

Sport/Beginner course is the same that's been done b4. S turns at the top, makes a left b4 going up the saddle, and down the high speed flow section.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

4X is going to be the event to watch today. Yeti team is here in force including Graves, Lopes is here too all coming to take out EC.

4. whybother

whybother New Member

Pro XC course is KILLER! Allison was having a blast on the new descent off the Elevator climb. CAT1 course doesn't have to climb the pavement, should be interesting since that cuts a bunch of climbing per lap. Should be fast lap times.

I am seriously bummed that we don't ride the Pro course. Their descent off the Elevator climb is good and favors someone with skill...

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

A HUGE Congratulations to Allison for finishing 5th in Pro Women XC!!!!!! You rock girlfriend!!!

6. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

That descent is right after the road crossing from the SRC#5
    DH course, or so I was told. There were some really fast riders through there on lightweight CF bikes. I had to cringe a few times! haha

7. whybother

whybother New Member

Great day for the privateer pro women. Pua in 2nd and Allison in 5th.

Pretty amazing. I think Allison was the only pro in the top 15 that has an honest 40hr per week desk job. :beer:

Brutal race in wicked winds though.

I forgot to mention all the awesome people that cheered for Allison during her race. Thanks a ton!!!! It means a lot to us.

8. whybother

whybother New Member

Currently sitting on the couch icing my knees... hope I can make Allison as proud tomorrow as I was of her today! :beer:

9. Took

Took New Member

S/M Detailer
    I had a good race in 25-over expert 4x winning every round , I was worried when driving up the 15 and the wind was blowing my Tundra around that it would be worst than it was . My 10 year old son decided not to race because of the wind though. I was dissappointed EC didn't race in Pro 4x . One of my friends Mike Smith " infamous" crashed in first round of Sport men 4x and broke his shoulder and requires surgery .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  10. etard

etard New Member

plumber/ bartender: all aspects of your flow
    Any good pictures, or highlight reports? I went out there last night just to see how the XC course was and it seemed fairly technical to me. I've never been on a course before, so how would you guys rate this one? On a scale of one to ten...

11. davidB

davidB Active Member

All I ever ask of myself is to have a good race. If that means I have a blast, race well, but still come in last, I'm ok with that if it's what I earned. I really don't like DNFs or feeling like crap for 1hr+ after coughing up some cash.

That said, I had a feeling today was going to be one of those days. So glad it wasn't! The XC course for Cat2/3 was the same as it has been forever now, so no surprises there after hearing about the pro/cat1 course.

I don't race well at Fontana. Not sure why that is, but I prefer the faster courses like a couple weeks ago at Bonelli. I'm not comfortable on the downhills at fontana, and the climbs just seem to be a granny gear ride sometimes.

Not a fan of taking off at 11:30am, finishing just before 1:30pm, in the dust and sun of Fontana, but whatcha gonna do right? My mind is used to doing 3 laps of the course, and come lap 3, I was done. Ready to quit altogether at the top of the pavement. I couldn't get over drymouth despite constantly sipping on water. I remember doing some short HAB on lap 3 because I just didn't feel like pedaling. Game over I thought. Not sure what got me over that, but it went away on the flats at the end of lap 3. I started pushing harder gears on lap 4 thinking I was near last anyway in my group but started to feel better.

Ended up with 5th out of 10 or 11. I lost to a couple guys I beat at Bonelli so that was fun seeing how there's some friendly competition starting to build up.

Props to the rest of the ShoAir guys for all the support before, during, and oh so especially after the race. XC racing is now fun again for me!

depends on which course you followed. The Pro/Cat 1 course had some pretty technical stuff up and down. The Cat2/3 course is the usual course they've been running for a while there. Steep short climbs in a couple places, but not very technical. Studder bumps suck though.

12. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    I was there but just got off work no bikee no racey. Just a lurker at big bikes I was at the marzocchi tent. Great job, not for your race results but being brave enough to wear all that Lycra.

13. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    No race for me today, hope everyone who did race did well though! My buddy (HippieDH) took a spill in practice and broke his collar bone and 2nd rib among a bunch of other soft tissue damage. Took him to the hospital instead of racing, almost as fun! He's good now and counting the days until he can ride again.

14. TylerSkyler

TylerSkyler New Member

nooot
    Felt great all weekend on the DH course. Put together a decent run and got 15th out of 28 in Jr. X. I am content :)

short clip of me down the waterfall
    whoever burst their lungs yelling to me to pedal.....thanks :beer:! hahaha
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/129353/#top

15. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I think I helped that guy (unless there's another dude rocking a 1st Recon patch on his jersey).

I stuck with him, telling him what to do A LOT. haha "Don't move." "Speak when you feel ready." Myself, a photographer from MBA Mag, and another guy helped him down the hill into the van when he gathered his senses. His collar bone was definitely jacked and he was short of breath, so he knew exactly what he had done.

Tell him that the guy in the green argyle jersey wishes him well!

My race went well. I feel I gave it my best effort and even heard the announcer saying that I was looking "fresh" as I sprinted out of my seat into the finish. I took 9th out of 12. The climbs killed me. I can't climb very quick and need to ride more.

Great weekend at the races!

16. davidB

davidB Active Member

Someone has to ask this eventually, who were the photographers shooting XC?

There were 3-4, and the only one I know of for sure is Andy @ www.bluefirepictures.com

17. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Saturday, got a few runs in with Neil by 09:00hrs and called it a day. Easy course.

Sunday comes, I TRY to sleep in late as we had a 10:00hrs practice time but to no avail, my eyes opened at 02:30. Took my time getting ready and was at the course by 07:00hrs and checked in.
    Chilled and chatted with a few friends and met some new riders as well. The 10:00hrs rolls around so I jump on the shuttle to get a practice or two in ... or soooo I thought. ](*,)

Get to the top, gear up and go. It was the smoothest AND fastest run of my practice runs so I was feeling good. I was in the groove. I get to the lower rock garden moving pretty good, small launch off the first boulders, small launch off the second set, shoot through and on to the off camber rock face and then ...

Not to sure. All I remember, all of a sudden there was no bike under me and I was flying towards the drop at the bottom. So I tucked the best I could, rolled to my shoulder before impact and then down the drop. Tried to stand while I was sliding down the drop to hear the spectators asking if I was alright. When I stopped I jumped up the rock and reached for my bike. :-k hmmmmm I could not lift it with my left hand so I grabbed it with the right and moseyed on down with a blown front tire. :protest:

Fix the tire, or so I thought, grab the shuttle and once again back up for my race run. Get to the top and realized the side wall of the tire was a weee bit torn as the tube was protruding. Back down the hill I went, tossed on a new used tire and back up the hill I went.
    The right hand was still a bit tender and the thumb was not responding as it should so I blocked it out, got in the starting gate and off I went.

My race run it's self was not very good. I felt suuuuper slow but cleaned everything decently. Must have better then I thought as the top 6th in my class were all with in a few seconds and I only missed out on 5th (possibly even 4th) by .3sec because I sat at the WRONG finish line#-o

Well, get home and say to the Mrs, "Does my thumb look swollen?" and she replies, "No. It is pointing the wrong direction though." Soooooo ...
    It's broken AND dislocated. So off to the Doc to get it fixed.
    See ya'll next race. :drunk::drunk:

p.s. If anyone has a vid or stills of my wreck during practice I would love to see them, the number was 732 I believe, in a blue Plaid O'Neal jersey.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  18. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    I'll pass on your well wishes :beer:

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Well since I am sitting on the trmac waiting for gate to open I might as well do this. LOL

I had good practice on Fri and Sat ready for Sun. Woke up and my legs were just done. Came out didn't practice in the morning kinda just hung out. Get to top for race and yeah legs are still done. The first turn I knew it was going to be rough. Tried to pick my way through through but had blown just about all the turns up top. The lower S turns were bad as my legs were ready to give out so I slowly found my way through. Was able to sit and pedal most the way to road and all of the wall and make a last sprint to the finish and was dead. Looked at my time on the printer a little bit after and would have been in 6th or 7th but when results came up my time was 5 seconds slower and now in 8th. Oh well I was kinda bummed since I know I could be a lot faster but what can you do.

I spent to much time running/hiking around on sat but it was 100% worth it to see Allison pull off a podium. The best momment all weekend had to be Nancy just smother Allison after her race. I don't think I have seen Nancy so happy an proud EVER.

Congrats to everyone who raced and podiumed and thanks to anyone who braved the weather on Sat. Also thanks to Caltime crew for making me feel so welcome all weekend.

20. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    Yep I was there.

Eric Folts was there too. Mike Lord was there for part/all also.

I only shot the first lap of cat 1, 2 and 3(non Jr.). I was running between DH practice, XC, more DH practice, more XC then the DH races. (Long Day)

I shot the whole XC Jr race and 90% of the Pro XC races.

Didnt shoot 4X. Sorry...

Got a little DH Practice for both courses. I was there for both races. I was in the S-turn about halfway down right where you turned instead of going up the saddle. Pro race I was at the waterfall.

I dont know how the pictures came out yet. Still downloading off the camera.

Full weekend report to follow...:beer: