**Postponed to 2012** 24 HOA - Hurkey Creek 9/10/11 - merged

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by MojoCP, May 4, 2011.

1. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

If I owned a business in this area I would be calling the Governor. This could potentially hurt tourism to the area, and this is really bad (economic) timing for something like that.

2. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Or there really could be an issue and they really have done their research and they really are doing us a favor by closing it now, repairing it, and then re-opening it at a later date? Just saying. ;-) I'd say it could be the perfect time for some of the regulars to take the opportunity to find new and exciting trails. Remember, variety is the spice of life. (Just trying to make lemonade out of lemons here).

3. norfolk

norfolk New Member

No, been cancelled go to there website

4. pelkins

pelkins New Member

VP of Technical Services at Smile Brands Inc.
    I was on the fence to do this race when I started hearing rumors about the trail closures. As a result, I held off on signing up. I know they had problems with their website but it seemed like it was open for registration for a while prior to this "Postponement". Did anyone already sign up and pay their money? If so, is your money being refunded?

5. Event Directors

Event Directors New Member

Event Directors
    Home Page:
    Always amazing how people sit back, wait for something like this to happen, then pile on the negativity. We actually stopped taking registration as soon as we were informed (not a problem with our site rather a choice not to take additional funds until we were clear on the potential loss of the trail system), and yes of course we are looking after our customers. God Bless!

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/h...uploads/2011/08/24HOA-HC-Tuesday-August-9.pdf

Tuesday August 9, 2011

Re: Hurkey Creek – 2011 Postponement

Despite countless hours of meetings and conversations, by a number of supersupporters
    of both the 24 Hours of Adrenalin event in Hurkey Creek and mountain
    biking in general, we have not been able to come to an agreement with the U.S.
    Forest Service that would satisfy our ridership. All alternatives discussed would not
    keep our riders safe, nor would the alternate course suggestions provide the fun and
    challenging environment, that you have come to expect from this event. Barring
    expensive and lengthy legal action, we have been put in the position of announcing
    this postponement. We do so in hopes of continuing what has become an annual
    tradition once a resolution has been put in place.

Let us be clear about what has constituted this postponement. The USFS have been
    mandated to close the trails by the Santa Ana Water Board, who have threatened to
    cite the USFS if measures were not immediately taken. This is in no way our
    decision and we have made every effort to avert this outcome.

The USFS is promising their commitment including finding the funding for the NEPA
    study, which is critical to resolving this issue and for this reason, we are optimistic
    that we will see the event return in 2012.

Sincerely,
    team twenty4 sports
    24 Hours of Adrenalin, since 1994
    [email protected]
    To read more about the trail closures, visit our website at
    http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/hurkeycreek/news‐and‐media

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/h...uploads/2011/08/24HOA-HC-Tuesday-August-9.pdf

Tuesday August 9, 2011

Re: Hurkey Creek – 2011 Postponement

Despite countless hours of meetings and conversations, by a number of supersupporters
    of both the 24 Hours of Adrenalin event in Hurkey Creek and mountain
    biking in general, we have not been able to come to an agreement with the U.S.
    Forest Service that would satisfy our ridership. All alternatives discussed would not
    keep our riders safe, nor would the alternate course suggestions provide the fun and
    challenging environment, that you have come to expect from this event. Barring
    expensive and lengthy legal action, we have been put in the position of announcing
    this postponement. We do so in hopes of continuing what has become an annual
    tradition once a resolution has been put in place.

Let us be clear about what has constituted this postponement. The USFS have been
    mandated to close the trails by the Santa Ana Water Board, who have threatened to
    cite the USFS if measures were not immediately taken. This is in no way our
    decision and we have made every effort to avert this outcome.
    The USFS is promising their commitment including finding the funding for the NEPA
    study, which is critical to resolving this issue and for this reason, we are optimistic
    that we will see the event return in 2012.

Sincerely,
    team twenty4 sports
    24 Hours of Adrenalin, since 1994
    [email protected]
    To read more about the trail closures, visit our website at
    http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/hurkeycreek/news‐and‐media

8. pelkins

pelkins New Member

VP of Technical Services at Smile Brands Inc.
    I've competed in this race four times over the years, and unfortunately the participation has steadily declined. Last year I was left scrambling and begging everyone I could to round up the final members of our 5 person team. After finally fielding a full team I lost a member at the last minute due to the announcement that no charging stations would be provided during the race due to the theft. He didn't have a light that would handle two laps without a charge and we didn't have a generator.

With a no refund policy it puts the team captains in a precarious position to sign up a team until they have lined up very committed members that they know well. Finding those members has been increasingly difficult in recent years. It's a large sum of money to plunk down for the captain knowing that it's at risk if he can't get the team together or if it falls apart at the last minute. That's the reason I was on the fence. Then I heard the rumors about trail closures so I held off on my efforts to round up participants. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to do the race depending on the course changes.

As for piling on the negativity, I'm only negative if the racers weren't offered an immediate refund after the race was cancelled. The refund situation should have been addressed in the same announcement as the cancellation.

I also feel you could have been more open with your customers during this process. It was clear from the USFS' letter on 7/16 that the permit was denied with the following statement:

"Given the time frame for your up-coming event we do not see any possible way to authorize your race this fall, as it has been proposed. The May Valley Bike Event E.A. (April, 2011) analyzed certain trails within the trail system. I sent you a copy of that E.A. in Apil and have attached it here. The only option to provide a loop opportunity to the Herkey Creek event arena is through the Missing Link. That trail was not analyzed due to numerous Quino Butterfly sightings and will not suffice. If you have any further questions please let myself or John Ladley know."

I realize that sometimes these challenges can be ironed out, but it seems that this one was quickly becoming insurmountable. When the race was officially cancelled it was labeled as a postponement. From the USFS' letter dated on 8/3 it sounds like the trail closures won't be lifted any time in the near future since they need to raise funding in 2012 before the studies can commence:

"These trail segments will remain closed until appropriate NEPA documentation can be completed and rehabilitation actions can be implemented. The District will pursue funding opportunities in FY2012 to initiate the NEPA process.What is the make up date for the postponed race?"

Considering the above I'm curious why the announcement was labeled a Postponement and not a Cancellation.

Yes, I am cautious since I've been taken by other race promoters over loopholes in their cancellation language. I still don't think you answered my initial question directly. Have the participants that already paid been offered a refund? Your comment in your previous post "Looking after our customers" could be interpreted a number of different ways and this point shouldn't be vague.

9. Considering the above,
    Whoever wrote that official letter,
    Must work at a desk!
    Note the spelling "Herkey"
    You think he or she or any of them have even been in May Valley?
    Everything but the kitchen sink!!!!!