Road Ride Report Playa del Rey to PV Donut Loop

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by genusmtbkr5, Jun 7, 2011.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I brought my road bike to work yesterday with every intention to ride this morning, but didn't get much rest, only about 3 hrs nap before going in yesterday. Of course when you're hoping for an easy night, it never fails and we got hammered with a heavy workload. #-o

The weather was absolutely perfect today and I didn't want to waste it. I knew that I wouldn't have the energy to do the climbs in the Santa Monica's so I decided I would just do a mellow cruise along the Dockweiler Beach.

I parked at Playa Del Rey near where you cross the marina into Marina Del Rey. From there, I got on the bike path and headed toward Manhatten Beach.

IMG_1427.jpg

Nice breeze along the beach as I had my knee and arm warmers still on. Just keeping a mellow pace and enjoying the scenery at the same time.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

Some random shots:

Hennesseys in Hermosa Beach

IMG_1433.jpg

The Strand
    , Hermosa Beach
    IMG_1434.jpg

Portofino,
    IMG_1437.jpg

The Horse Shoe Pier in Redondo Beach
    IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

Originally, I was just going to turn around at Torrance Beach, but I still felt good as I was just cruising and
    it was too nice out not to continue towards the PV Peninsula. I figured I could turn around anytime.

By the time I got on PV Dr West. I decided I would go ahead and do the Donut Loop. If you've done the Donut Loop before, you know you can go either direction. I like to climb up PV Dr East rather than descend it. So I usually go counter clockwise around PV.

Here is just before you get onto PV Dr West and where you need to decide which direction you want to go around PV.

IMG_1442.jpg

As I approached PV Dr West, I saw a display of flags. Probably left from Memorial Weekend and plus the Anniversary of D-Day was yesterday as well when I saw this old man walking with his grandson

I was stopped as I wanted to get a picture of the flags, but decided this would be a cool shot with them in it.

IMG_1447.jpg

Really cute kid and he was tripp'n out cause I had my helmet on so he kept staring at me. He probably thought I looked like a total kook. :-k
    IMG_1448.jpg

After a quick Gu gel and energy bar, I continued on. Pretty good head wind along PV Dr. South

IMG_1449.jpg

Arrived at Pt. Vicente Lighthouse and snapped a few pics as I love lighthouses.
    IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Abalone Cove State Park would be a good place to stage a group ride as there is plenty of parking and picnic tables for after the ride festivities. :beer:
    IMG_1456.jpg

Continued on past the Trump Golf Course

IMG_1458.jpg

Looks like a really nice course. It's a PAR 71 and green fees are
    way expensive though. $275 Daily fee, $215 Midday, $160 afternoon and $80 sunset rate(2 1/2 hrs before sunset) Source: http://trumpnationallosangeles.com/html/home.asp
    IMG_1460.jpg

Started the climb up Palos Verdes Dr. East and completed the loop. I guess for some extra climb credit, you can climb Crest Road which is a solid climb from what I hear. Another good option would be to continued towards San Pedro.
    IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

On the way back. I had a good tail wind on PV Dr. North. Every now and then got a cross wind as I heading back towards Playa Del Rey.

I'm not sure when, but I will probably head towards Pt Fermin Park and ride around Cabrillo Beach Park before turning around. Should be a pretty scenic ride so stay tuned.

Stats:
    Time (avg): 3:29 minutes
    Distance: 51.0 miles
    Ascent: 1,805 feet

Here is the link to the route I did today: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=47248

Time for a quick cat nap before work.
    #-o

2. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

Always nice to see your reports on the rides I do all the time. It reminds me how lucky I am!

3. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Nice RR Gene, thanks! The next time you're headed up the switch backs (PV Dr. East) make a left onto Ganado Dr. (before you get to the college), you'll love this climb!, follow it to Crest Rd, make a left and ride to the dome, catch your breath, back down to crest to PV Dr. East and enjoy the downhill. This is my planned Saturday morning road ride this week.