Outspoken in Sunset/Huntington Beach

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by xhuskr, Jul 16, 2010.

1. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    On a slow road ride today I noticed a new shop on PCH in Sunset Beach called Outspoken. I stopped in just to check it out. I noticed Yeti, Focus, Cannondale... and talked with the manager (Dominique). I have not used them nor any affiliation, but thought anyone in that area may want to check 'em out.
    http://www.rideoutspoken.com/
    16400 Pacific Coast Highway (P.C.H. & Anderson)
    Suites 100-101
    Huntington Beach, CA 92649

2. joshik

joshik Member

Driver, Student
    Sweet i can go to katin and hop over to a bike shop!

3. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Cool now If I can get my lazy ass up and ride down there!!

4. xhuskr

Teacher (da wee ones)
    I needed a quick hub look-n-lube before leaving on a two day trip so I took my bike to Outspoken today. Got it back within a few hours and sounds/feels good. I'll know for sure when I ride it, but the service was great. They're even hosting a road time tomorrow am, so if I'm awake and feeling it..I may join in.

5. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

What are the ride details? I didn't see anything on their site.

6. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I'll have to make it a stop on my road rides...pretty EZ to find, they have some "graffiti marketing" in the bike lanes about a mile before you reach it.

7. xhuskr

Teacher (da wee ones)
    from their facebook page and link to icontact;
    Remember to mark your calendars and set your alarms - This Saturday, July 24th, Out-Spoke-n will be the start & end point for our group ride. Please arrive no later than 7:15am to depart with the 65 mile group. And no later than 8:15am to depart with the 30 mile group.

The 65 mile group will be departing the store at 7:30am. The 30 mile group will be departing the store at 8:30am. The Frarority road ride will be at a relaxed club pace (approx 15-17mph) and take us South on the PCH to Newport Beach, and back - A total of approximately 30 miles. Riders of all ages and skill levels are welcome. However, please note that this road ride will take place on the PCH, not the beach path.
    There is ample free parking at the store, and restrooms will be available. Out-Spoke-n techs will be on hand to help with adjustments and tire fill-up prior to departure.

I may join in for the short ride or just skip it to rest for my trip on Sun/Mon..we'll see

If I make it, look for a Bike MS jersey or one of my Team Crash ones.

8. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    I was planning on going by there the other day until I crashed on my road bike... :(

9. dirtsnack

dirtsnack Member

cad/cam and cnc's
    Outspoken in Peter's Landing

Been there a few times now. Only been open now for like 7,8 weeks now. Great vibe in the store and staff is great to make you happy. Road shop rides have started and MTB rides have been talked about. :clap:
    They did not have any 29er tires but got some ordered( after I asked) and now in stock. I also ordered a shifter and I got it in a timely manner.
    If you need a Yeti go take a look. Listed on Yeti's site as a dealer. It looks like a few more MTB brands will be coming soon.
    So after seeing Xhusker post here I had to go check it out.

07162010188 (Medium).jpg 07162010187 (Medium).jpg 07162010189 (Medium).jpg

10. Out-Spoke-n

Out-Spoke-n New Member

Hi guys - This is Derick from Out-Spoke-n. Just wanted to drop a quick note and introduce myself here at STR. I've had the privelage of meeting dirtsnack and a number of other STR members who have come into the shop, and I just wanted to say thanks for the support. We're having a great time serving our fellow riders and providing great products to keep us all rolling. The feedback and support we've gotten so far has been great, and we will always try our best to exceed our customers' expectations.

To show our appreciation, we're offerring all STR members a 10% discount for parts and labor at Out-Spoke-n. Also, this weekend (Friday Aug20 - Sunday Aug 22) we are running a "No sales tax" promotion on all Yeti, Focus, and Cannondale mountain and road bikes!

So if you haven't had a chance to check out the shop yet, please come by and say hello!

Cheers,
    Derick

11. xhuskr

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Welcome to STR Derick...my hub you worked on for my Flux is still running great!! :)

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Funny, I didn't see a single Turner in that bunch of bikes.

13. xhuskr

Teacher (da wee ones)
    stealth mode Mike...stealth...shhh

14. Out-Spoke-n

Out-Spoke-n New Member

No Turners for now. BUT we do have a slew of great stuff coming in the next month or so - New 2011 Cannondale lineup, Focus Bike's first 29'er and redesigned FS lineup, Yeti's new Big Top, and much more. But the most exciting thing (well, at least for me cuz I'm a tribe freak) is a new special anniversary edition Yeti 575 sporting the 1985 team colors of yellow and turqoise. It comes with special edition WTB saddle, Chirs King headset, and Fox fork. Only 250 will be made, and we were lucky enough to get a couple.

You saw it here first on STR :)
    YETI575.jpg

15. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

They have the CUTEST tee's, too ;)

My daughter's Coach T has been in there a few times, from what I understand. It's a nice shop and the vibe is great.

Are you going to be carrying/working on road/mtb/track bikes? Do you guys glue tires? Have experience with Avid brakes?

16. BandMan

BandMan New Member

What are your store hours?

17. Out-Spoke-n

Out-Spoke-n New Member

Haha, Thanks Georgia. Our Out-Spoke-n tees have been crazy popular since we opened. We just came out with some new designs and are also the first dealer for Tough Chik clothing - A female specific line of MTB, road and Tri wear.

We already carry and service road, mtb and track bikes. And we can certainly help you out with gluing your tires and your Avid brakes too!

BandMan - Our store hours are everyday from 10am-7pm

Hope to meet you all soon!

18. Out-Spoke-n

Out-Spoke-n New Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to keep all our STR folks in the loop as well. We're having a back to school sale all week long. Here's the highlights from the email we sent out to our customer list...

Big discounts on all in-store 2010 road and mountain bikes. As much as $500 off some models
    No sales tax on all special order 2010 and 2011 bikes
    FREE Uvex Helmet with any bike purchase over $800
    FREE Shimano, Crank Brothers, or Look pedals with any road or mountain bike
    10% off all parts and accessories
    Buy one Nirve beach cruiser, get $100 off a second 3G cruiser

Also, on Saturday Sept 4 we're having a pizza and BBQ lunch at the shop at noon. So come on by and grab some grub. If you want to join the morning road ride before then, you're welcome to come along - What better way to end a ride than pizza and pulled pork with all the fixins!

19. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    Stopped by the shop today on my way home from HB. Nice place. I'm gong to have to head back for some bike maint. and try their WTB saddle try out program. Good people to boot. Will be getting some of my business for sure.

20. joytron

joytron New Member

Really disappointed with the customer service here.

Ordered a fork online to replace the one on my 06 rockhopper and began researching places in the area to have it installed since I dont have the tools or the experience. Called a few places in Huntington and other areas of Orange county where everything was around 30 to 40 dollars. Then I looked on here and found outspoken, its much closer to my house so I gave them a call. I asked them about installation of a single crown fork quoted me at about $20 and said that if i brought it in the morning they would have it done that day or the next day at the latest.

Fast forward about a week; I receive the fork and head down the next morning (beautiful shop by the way), arriving around 10 minutes after they open. I talk to the only person working there and he tells me it will be $50 and it should be done by around wednesday (this was saturday). I understand the confusion and let him know that I talked to someone last week and was quote at $20. He responded that he had no idea who I talked to, my reply was (since I noticed it was an awfully small store) how many people actually work here? He stated two, and I then suggested that he get in contact with the other person I had talked to. He said he was the manager here and he did the work on the bikes and that there was no way he would do it for less than fifty. I explained my frustration that I wasted time and gas driving down there and he just said too bad. Not once in our entire conversation was an apology mentioned or a way of dealing with the situation

My issue is that I have worked in various customer service/sales positions, and I feel that whenever I/anyone I work with makes an error, I will do everything in my power to take responsibility and resolve the situation. Instead I was made to guilty and treated with contempt as if I did not belong in an establishment such as outspoken. Overall I felt the manager had an elitist vibe that was clearly evident from the moment I walked in,it was as if I stopped by a Ferrari store to get an oil change on my tacoma.