Ok, taking the plunge - A n00b going XC racing

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by jschwart73, Jan 22, 2008.

1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    If a pro/expert comes up behind me and says on your right, I almost always attempt to move over, even if I have to take a worse line. Usually in the hopes that someone will reciprocate. But, more often than not, the fast guys just go around so they don't even have to slow down!

2. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I've been pretty impressed most of the Pro's have been fairly nice with a quick thanks as they pass...all except that one guy I talked about earlier. It really adds to the overall coolness of the race. I can't imagine how a world cup race would be where there is cash and a career at risk.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The beginners/sports aren't anywhere near the pro course when they go out ;)

Typically the pro's/experts start after beginner/sport ends (I believe).

4. D. Diamond

D. Diamond New Member

That makes sense too.

I personally have always moved to let faster riders pass, not 'cause I'm a nice guy though, just because I like to enjoy my race and it's hard when someone's breathing down my neck, even if they're being nice about it!

Of course if they are in my class and I'm trying to beat them into singletrack, or to the line or something then all bets are off, I'll go as fast as I can and try to be extra wide, LOL.

The chances of crashing into each other in those situations is just MUCH higher, and you can't really "blame" anyone (not that anyone is suggesting that), it's just racing.

Naturally I will deny ever having said this if I've just been crashed out of a win and I'm all steamed up about it!!!!!!!!!

+1, you just said it better than me.

5. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

What a great thread, thanks everyone!

Imagine if I had posted this on emptybeer... LOL!

6. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I couldn't have said it better...I always move over for the fast guys...plus I get to stare at their hot a$$et$ when they pass me
    :D

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    :eek: whoa watch out! This isn't the ladies forum :lol:

8. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Is a Pizzookie a good pre-race meal?

Pre-rode the course today, it's fun and not technically difficult, which I'm assuming means that I need to pedal fast.

9. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider

Which race is this Jschwart? I've looked at a few early season races up North and they've been described as road races on dirt. Hope the cyclocross guys don't show up! They're wicked fast.

I'm curious to do some racing in Norcal. Mainly b/c I've walked into a bike shop that sold lots of SSpeed and asked them what ratios they usually run. He told me with a straight face. 33:18 on a 29er! I nearly choked on my water hearing that. Those guys are either quadzillas or there arent any hills up there.

10. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

11. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Ok, so mission #1 is to get more fit so I weigh less and have more strength, so that I can climb better...

Suggestions on training ideas for climbing are welcome, I think I know what to do to lose weight (eat and drink less, work out more - hee hee!)

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The secret to becoming a better climber, so I hear/read, is to climb more!

Also it is power to weight ratio, so if you are strong and light you'll climb faster.

But, don't discredit that you're still pretty new to biking and have a long way to go with base fitness. So, just keep at it!

A few of the trainer DVD people have climbing vids. I'm actually thinking about getting one also.

13. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Today's workout was rough (for me) -

I got on the spin bike and immediately cranked up the RPM's and resistance. By two minutes in, I was at 70% max HR, at 5 mins I was at 80% max HR and from there I maintained a steady climb up to 95% max HR at the 45 minute mark, where I did a 2 minute sprint and hit 99% max (183 bpm).

The biggest thing here for me was maintaining the high HR without any recovery. On the graph, there is only one dip around the 20 minute mark, were I dropped from 170 to 166 for a minute or so, otherwise, I kept myself pushed hard the entire time.

Hitting 183 means that realistically, my max HR is probably a little higher than the magic 220 - age equation says it should be (at 34, my max HR should be 186). I'm hoping doing this workout occasionally will help with mental toughness as well as physical toughness.

Oh yeah, I nearly threw up when I was done. LOL! At least I know it was a good workout...

14. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    The trainer is good for when the weather is bad or if it is dark and you don't have a light, but nothing can replace actually getting on your bike and riding. A lot of speed is also in technique and you only get better at that on the dirt.

15. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

I couldn't agree more, which is why I'm riding twice this weekend - Today was 10mi, 1900' on a fireroad ride that I knew would have some decent extended climbs to it.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4939080

Tomorrow will be a fun day, but I'd like to try to get in 15+ miles while I'm at it.

The trainer will be good for those days where I just don't have time to get out and ride - With a wife who can't cook and two kids at home, evenings are tied up with the family...

16. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Yeah, the trainer is good for me too when I have a couple hours inbetween work and school I always try and stop by the gym to sit on a stationary bike for an hour or so to get my heart pumping so I am not sitting at a desk all day at work, then sitting at a desk all night at school.

17. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    thats some good training info from all of you , thanks jswart73, Allison , Christine , Niel , make me want to try some xc racing

18. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Climbing workouts were the order of the weekend.

Saturday was Morgan Territory, a hilly fire road type place with some VERY steep climbs (on HAB section). 10 miles, 1900' on 50% muddy clay trails. Very hard work, I worked really hard at either middle ringing it or staying away from granny in the cassette.

Sunday was Joaquin Miller and I had what I can only describe as my best ride ever - 14 miles, 2600', cleaned one VERY long and steep climb that has a couple rock gardens on steep parts, then cleaned another wet and slippery climb that I had never cleaned before AND nearly cleaned the infamous "2 Dollar Hill" - I got past the hard part, and then brain farted and got the rear tire hung up about 3' from cleaning it.

Today, I did a "recovery ride" in spin class that ended up being 80-90% HR for 45 mins. After doing 40 mins of weights.

19. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Since you are new to this... I just wanted to let you know, for future reference... that isn't recovery

:lol:

20. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Duly noted, smartass.

:lol: :beer: :drunk:

Why do you guys call it Fontucky?

What is :steppie:

I have so many important questions.