Official Cannell Plunge / other Sierra rides

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Pain Freak, May 7, 2007.

1. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

hey Jeff!! is the ride called off than?#-o

2. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    Called off?

I am not the organizer of this shindig so I don't have any power to call anything off. I will be here and I will be riding, Cannell or no Cannell. There are other trails around here. I would understand why some people want to wait until they are sure they can ride Cannell. It is one of my favorites. What's the matter Jose? Does a little fire scare you?

3. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    word!!!!! i will climb for downhill. but this guy scotty mentioned wall st. dutch flats, remington ridge and mill creek anybody know how these trails are?

4. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

ohh hellss no!!! i'm rdy to go right now!!!:bang:

5. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    Rides Scotty mentioned

Wall St. is another ride that starts at Shirley Meadows, the same place as Just Outstanding. It is mostly downhill with some climbing in the middle. Starts at 7000' and ends at 2500'.
    Dutch Flat is a downhill trail that we have been adding to the bottom on JO. By doing this we don't have to ride any fire road at the end of the ride. Singletrack all the way to lake level. It does involve a 40 minute climb but is totally worth it.
    Mill Creek and Remington are great downhill trails with very little climbing. I think they are 8-9 miles each. they start around 7000' and end around 2500'. The main problem with these two trails is that the shuttle is long compared to the length of the ride.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Jeff is Dutch Flat the one you took us on?

7. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    No, Mike. The trail I took you guys on last year is called Whaggy Ridge. Dutch Flat was in real bad shape last summer. This Fall we really got it in decent shape and were riding it a lot. A good line has been worn in and it looks to be holding up so far this year. Whaggy Ridge has had some work done on it as well. It is more ridable with more flow than it had last year. Our group seems to be the only riders that are linking all three rides into one big ride. It ends up being about a 4 hour ride with three great sections of downhill and two sections of climbing in between. The downhill gets harder as you go.

I didn't hear much about the fire today so I think that is good news. It was cooler and there were some dark clouds over the fire area all day. Yesterday there was a large plume of smoke when I drove home from work. Today I could see clouds but no smoke. This evening it even sprinkled a bit in Kernville. I will post more updates as I get them.

The local news just said that the fire is 3900 acres and 50% contained as of this morning. They hope for full containment by Sunday. Todays the weather is cool, cloudy, and windy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  8. ET_SoCal

ET_SoCal Member

Computers & Networks
    Home Page:
    Good news (and one bad). Thanks for the update(s) Jeff!

9. 3fbc

3fbc Banned

If you guys are thinking about going to Downieville, you'll find this book useful:
    Singletrack Publications - Downieville

The author of this book is a friend of mine who lives in Costa Mesa.

---mark

FIRE OR NO FIRE, I'm going to be in Kernville for father's day weekend. I spoke with Mountain Rivers about it today. They said they'd be happy to take us all to Greenhorn Summit if Cannell is still closed next week. Alta Sierra is a 22 mile downhill run similar to Cannell.

Alternate trail options in the Kernville Area:
    NRMB 2004 Kernville Fat Tire Festival

Current Fire Info:
    http://www.3fbc.com/kernville/kernville_fire_news.cfm?search_term=kernville+fire

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  10. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    I'm out..

Since everything is still up in the air, or up in smoke as the case may be, I caved into family pressure to show up for fathers day (but it's at Stone Brewing so it's not all bad). Mike, I'll gladly pay you for my share of the campsite if you need it since I rsvp'd and all.

11. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
  12. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I don't know for sure, Tin, but that looks like it to me.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    From Scottyl on MTBR

cannel trail/goldledge fire
    the fire up in the kern valley is pretty much out...it did not reach the actual cannel trail, it did reach the top of the plateau....from what i hear the road will reopen in a week or so..if anyone plans to do the trail i would do it from the top of sherman pass since that road will open first,plus you cant say youve done the trail if you havent ridden the surf monster section down into big meadow....if you come out be careful and always plan for the ride to take an extra hour and a half that way if something happens you still have time to get out, and search and rescue wont have to be called this year....the forest service isnt too stoked on people getting lost up there and that could eventually make it difficult to keep the trail open to us bikers............. now get out there and get some!!!!!

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Hey Ron, it's definately still on. Don't worry about the pay for the site as there are a lot of others still asking. Still if you'd like to go I still haven't given up your spot.

Damn, I'm getting wound up for this already.

Just a reminder....

This is a self supported ride. Bring everything you think you may need. This is not an all downhill ride. There is some strenuous climbing, but I've seen some that weren't that well in the being in shape catagory make it, although I can say they didn't have the best of times up there. Bring tubes, extra water, extra food, gels about anything you would need for an "epic" ride. This is a real fun ride and one that shouldn't be raced. On the downhill section I like to go all out, but up top, it's time to take in the scenery. At the beginning of the ride we will designate a sweep. This person will not be responsible for you, but if there are problems he/she will ride ahead and notify the others. At this time we will decide on how to handle the situation such as an unrideable bike or the like. We may have to contact rangers or we may be able to fix the bike with a combined effort. We will have a number of regroups, but if we get to stretched out we will let some of the faster,more impatient guys/gals go ahead. This happens every year though, and no one gets upset so if we split up, so be it.

I personally carry spare parts, screws, nuts, washers, cables (brake and derailuer), chain lengths Sram type,a few tools outside of the multitool, first aid kit, along with some ibuprofin. Bring sunscreen and insect repellent. We will always try to help out, but please try to be self sufficent and carry what you think you may need.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  15. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I want to repeat something that Pain Freak said... This is NOT AN ALL DOWNHILL RIDE! THERE IS SOME STRENUOUS CLIMBING!

Just to be clear. Last year there were some people that apparently didn't understand this and they were very unhappy and b*tched for at least 20 of the 26 miles. This is a XC ride. It's also one of the best I've ever been on. Before you go, check out your bike. Make sure it's in good shape. Don't be *that* guy if you can help it.

And no going to sleep under a bush! :)

16. mtbcat

mtbcat the number of the beast

no skidding

ok were coming up the week after your big group ride please keep the tires fast and rolling enjoy!!

17. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    Mike sorta said it all. Bring lots of WATER. Last time we rode, many were out of water near the end. Bring 2 tubes and a patch kit. Bring lots of energy Gel and food. Its a long ass ride that will wear you down at the end, when your going fast. Its not all downhill, although I made it through with fun on my DH bike, but I seen many complain with XC bikes. First aid is a must. This trail gots many suprises. Ask Franky. WALKIE TALKIE is highly recomended. If you dont have one, go to Costco and pick up a pair that have GMRS channels. Most of the guys are locked on channel 5-12. Walkie will speed things up when you have a problem. Have a cooler in your car with cold Gaterade and food. It will make you feel so good at the end. I still remember the looks of my buddies next to the cars last year. Totally dead. Oh yeah, a beach towel would also be nice cuz u can wash up on the river after the ride. The water is so nice. I guess that sums it up. Enjoy the RIDE. Its so worth the trip.

-Tin

Lets make a poll on whos going to sleep under the tree this year.

18. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

Dutch Flat is an alternate ending to JO and involves a little bit of clever navigation skills (and probably around 15 minutes of hike-a-bike, I don't think 40 minutes for that climb at all). DF gets a little crazy in spots but it's all rideable with good speed - crazy = loose, off camber, steep, rocky waterfall type sections and some pretty damned deep ruts you need some nerve to get through. I definetely kicked my ass the first time I went down it and I consider myself to be a pretty competent descender, although I can attribute some of that to a couple mechanicals and a heavy crosswind. Second time went smoothly though and as long as you know what to expect and have no problem dwelling on your front brake down steeps, you'll be fine.

Combining that with Cannel the next day makes for more singletrack than you can friggin comprehend. If Cannel is closed off, just ball up and head out at 5 or 6 AM and hike up the Plunge at the end. It will probably be about the same amount of time and the climb will be about equally as painful if you just get it all over with at once.

Edit: I might add that I think that route alone is worth the trip up from LA for an overnighter and some brew/bbq/camping on the river or lake. The epic riding and epic camping makes it 100% worth it even if Cannel isn't an option.

19. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    Mike, Dean, Scott, anyone. What time and where are we meeting on Sunday. Is it a self shuttle ride and how long is it going to be. Hook me up with some 411.

-Tin

20. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Tin, not sure what the plan is, I think we are riding Just Outstanding and whatever else Jeff has in mind. We will be at Mountain Rivers Campsite #20. You got my cell #.

Dean