new roadie tips?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by FyrFytrRyn, Apr 26, 2007.

1. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    ahhh i see, but what if i run out of co2? isnt a pump going to be more reliable? and is there an advantage to having all this in my jersey vs strapped to the bike?

2. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

My jersey, on longer rides, usualy has these things in it:

Left Pocket: Tube, my car key and my cell phone.

Middle Pocket: 5 Bags of Cliff Shot Bloks

Right Pocket: Tube, money, credit card, cocaine, heroine, hookers, etc... well the first three things, at least.

There is more room for Co2's, but it starts to get heavy back there, and it gets hard to reach back and grab stuff when it's crammed... you go to grab something and everything starts falling out. Thats why the Co2, levers and mini patch kit go in my little saddle bag. A ton of stuff in the jersey pockets, for me, is a hassle.

3. andino

andino dirt tastes funny

Student
    This is what I do

4. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    yeah i figured a lot stuffed into the jersey would be irritating. i dont even like my cell being back there, but i dont want a HUGE bag on my bike.

5. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  6. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    i already have a bag, its 32 cu. in. i have a tube, patch kit and ID, and 20.00 in it. i dont pack levers because ive perfected leverless tire removal. i carry my cell, ipod, and inhaler in my jersey. thats all.

7. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Right on. I went a long time without tire levers, but the other day I had a BITCH of a time getting a new tires bead off the rim, and I got pissed off that I didn't have levers.

If you have a pump and you're not racing or doing fast group rides, you can go without Co2. I just love how easy it makes things... getting a tire to 120psi can be a pain with those small pumps.

8. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    yeah. i can only imagine how much it would suck to pump one up to that pressure. i only run 90 psi in mine, little less arm ache.

9. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I usually don't ride with a pack or anything in my pockets. I got the x-lab saddlewing and x-nut so i stick CO2's back there with my air-chuck and tubes. I got room for a spare tire also, just never take one. Tape a few gels to the top tube and put some powerbars right behind the seat for easy access. I have finally perfected my riding and eating.

10. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

RidetheRAAM, I am curious about your name. Did you do the RAAM or planning on doing it?

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I plan on doing it when I am in like my mid 30s.

I need to get a new road bike first though. I started out on my dads old Scwhinn Paramount and got into Triathlons and got a Cervelo Dual which takes up all of my time. So when I get the new road bike I will start doing more and more distance (like the double centurys).

Also need to wait until I am rich and have enough money for a motor home stocked full like a complete bike shop and a grocery store all in one.

12. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Awesome. I have some friends that are planning on doing it soon. Of of them might race the 508 this year in hopes of qualifying. Good luck with your training and fund raising :)

13. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    When I wear my mtb shorts on the road bike, I get back pains.:lol:

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Estimated cost to do the RAAM and that's even with unpaid helpers will set you back close to 10 grand I'm told. A lot of the people will crew for each other so one year, one guy/gal does it and the next year the other person who crewed will get to do it. I've rode with a number of people who have done it and they all say the same thing....They had no idea it was going to be that expensive. Most people who do the RAAM are not necessarily fast, but have a very consistant speed and a lot of endurance. I'm talking to a group now who has four riders who take turns riding it, if anyone falls out I'll be put into the rotation and you need to put in 2500 dollars every year. It will take 4 years till it's your turn and you have to plan for 30 days away from home and work. Some people do it real fast though, but the group I'm trying to get in with usually does it in 20 to 28 days. They have never failed to finish though.

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    What is the cut-off for the race though? I know that they do have a cut off time and if you do not finish within that time they count you as not finishing even if you continue on and finish yourself.