my HR is 52 bpm, the doc said I'm very fit...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by int3r, Sep 7, 2011.

1. int3r

int3r New Member

Last week, I went to have my blood test at my regular doctor. Blood pressure 126/81, but HR was 52 bpm, low. Doc asked me if I hv complain about chest pain or dizzy, I said no complain so far.
    Do u run marathon? Nope, just mtb 3 times a week.
    Doc: hmm, maybe that's why your HR is low.
    But to be sure, he did EKG (I think that's wht its called) test on me, result was very good, perfectly normal heart. He said, no problem with your heart, meaning u r super fit.

Doc said people who do endurance exercise, their HR could be as low as in the 40ish bpm.
    That's something new to me. I don't know any better, just wanna share.

2. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    I was concerned a while back with mine but told it was completely fine. I'm still about 15 lbs overweight and my heart beat was about 55... Doc told me it's all good and probably because of all my weight loss (about 80 lbs)

3. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

I'm fairly young and average weight/size. My Blood Pressure has always been low (~100/60) and my heart rate hovers around 60 bpm at rest. Docs and Nurses tells me that it is within normal range. Even during the period where I didn't exercise, it has been around that range. With strenuous activity, it still doesn't beat as fast as I would think it would. maybe I fall in the "super fit" category?

4. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
  5. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    I had a resting rate of 46 bpm at my last physical, but I have since turned 21 :beer:
    I think I read somewhere that Lance had a resting rate of 35ish... O_O

...and MohammedInaBearSuit (Mark) had some crazy cardio stats too...

Cycling...tons of fun and good for you too! :bang:

6. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

Dropping 80lbs! Damn id say you owe yourself a doughnut, ill have one for you this morning. Uncle pud, you have any tips im trying to get my dad to shed some of his hard earned table muscle.

7. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Cool chart! Sez I'm an Athlete! Who knew?!?!?! My resting HB was also 52 when I last saw my Endocrinologist in May. I am also 52, and Type 1 diabetic, and hope my RHB doesn't ascend with me each year. He was real happy about that low number. Cheers!

- shud

8. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    Your resting HR is at it's lowest just before you get out of bed, assuming that your alarm didn't startle you awake.
    Resting heart rates will be somewhat higher during the rest of the day.

9. dft

dft Member

some healthy folks here!
    i got down to 49 heart beat a few years ago (only reason i knew was getting wisdom teeth removed, 5 months after my only VQ so i was still in good shape)

10. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

11. int3r

int3r New Member

Thanks for the link. I guess most of us are in "athlete" category, interesting.

12. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Had an interesting experience...was doing a lot of relatively long / hard endurance rides. Felt and occasional "oddity beat", got and EKG...hmm something odd...the echocardiogram (very cool to watch your own heart beat) because I had a slightly enlarged left ventricle...long story short it came from the endurance training... very healthy..the muscle adapted....BUT enlarged left ventricle for the wrong reason can be very serious.

Funny part of the story...doc calls leaves a message on the home answering machine (not sure why)...everything OK. Wife listens to it, thus the red blinky light goes off...a week later I am really concerned...mentioned to her that I am really worried because the doc hasn't called me back yet with any news... Of course she tells me, I was both very relieved and very pissed at the same time.

Its Funny now.

13. kanga

kanga Active Member

I have "low pulse rate" on my RoadID bracelet. More than once I've been sent off for evaluation by a cardiologist as it just "isn't normal" to have a heart rate like yours they tell me.

It's called "Athletic Bradycardia" I have to explain each time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

My morning resting pulse is usually around 38-40. It's also how I keep track of overdoing it or illness. Pulse rate will creep up and give you an advance warning if you are overdoing it or getting sick, sometimes before any other indication. I've been tracking my RHR for more than 20 years and it's never been over 42 in that time, except when I've been sick.

14. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Yeah thanks I skipped all the tech stuff, learned way too much about it when I had the tests...but that is a good / very accurate article, plus left venticular hypertrophy is as hard to type as it is to say.

"The EKG can detect sinus bradycardia, a resting heart rate of fewer than 60 beats per minute. This is often accompanied by sinus arrhythmia. The heartbeat of a person with AHS can sometimes be irregular while at rest, but usually returns to normal after exercise begins."

I could occasionally feel the arryhthmia and that's what lead me to the EKG...which lead to the echo...which lead to the good diagnosis. My mid day RHR is around 50 and I have seen it around 40 at wake up, and I too have had to explain that it is normal for me, before my wrist surgery ... I mean like 5 minutes before, right before the gave me the good night shot, they took my vitals it was like 115/68 and 52 BPM...a moment of concern...I had to explain again...plus I was just really relaxed, they laughed...yeah I'm a flatliner...

For me this only seems to happen when I really start to increase my volume and / or intensity.

15. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    The late miguel indurian has a legendary resting hr of like 28 bpm its ridiculous. The best ive ever had was like 42, joys of being 23 and riding 6 days a week, i have high bloodpressure because im on ADHD meds so i throw my doctors off. its pretty awesome.

16. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I'm 30 pounds over weight and my RHR is 50 BPM. I usually ride only once a week so I'm guessing my job keeps me fit cardiowise. I'm guessing Doctors say it isn't normal initially because most of the people they see are in the "normal" 70-80 range.