MTB v Roadies

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Skeeter, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Some ammo against those Tour De OC guys:rolleyes:.

A new study from the Journal of Sports Scence supports trail riding over street riding\\:D/. According to them "a 3-mile hill climb equals 24 miles on the flats" and "a 1/2 mile MTBing equals 1 mile roadriding.

Kinda makes me feel good.:D

2. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    What is the thrill in Road riding anyways? I only suffer through the climbing because of the reward of riding down.

3. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    I can drive my car on the road, why would i want to ride my bike on it.

Duke i agree with you, the only reason to ride up a hill is the reward of going down. To bad it takes like an hour of pain for 10 min. of fun

4. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I agree that road riding is super boring. Not to mention the fear of being run over by careless drivers or smelling exhaust all day long. Give me awesome scenery and sweet downhills.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I don't know......doing 50+ for 30 mins. going down the HWY 38 from Big Bear is pretty fun.:bang::bang::bang: Knowing that I am traveling faster than the cars.

It is all about where you ride. Road riding is fun, especially with the right group of riders. I was adamant about never getting on roadbike. All the people I ride with were always going out on road rides. So one day I gave in and bought a road bike to ride with my wife.....I was hooked after my first road ride.

Last year when it rained every other day and was too wet/muddy to ride the trails..... I was able to still get my riding in.

I suggest ya' don't knock it 'til you tried it.:lol::lol:

mtnbikej

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    haha, yeah, i do that coming down from lytle creek...pass cars left and right around all the turns because they can lean into them like the roadies can...also its fun riding in the cities when there is traffic and you get from point A to point B faster than the cars stuck in the lines do....AND its funny to see people reactions when you fly by them asking them if they wanna race!!

7. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

can you provide the article or references to it?? i'd like to read it, and pass it on to my roadie friends that give me s#!* for only riding 10 to 15 miles per ride....

i was a roadie for a few years. even commuted twice a week from long beach to santa ana (18 miles one way) for a year. until i got ran-off the road twice, both times car making a right-turn, both time car never stopped.... i'd much rather take my chances on the dirt...

8. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I own a road bike and rode for quite a few years in high school and jr. college before seeing the light and taking up mtn biking about 5 years ago. The only "thrill" in road riding for me is the speed. The acceleration of a road bike is quite dramatic compared to a mtn bike, and riding in a pack can be exciting as well. Other than that I live for having suspension underneath me and being away from roads and cars.

9. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
  10. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

I like road biking! Well sort of. I just toss slicks on the good'ol MTB and I call it my road bike! I just do this so I can stay in shape and avoid the Freshman-15!

11. flyingmonkey

flyingmonkey Guest

the road guys are so much more on the crazy side...they ride side by side with asses on cell phones eating food and shaving/putting make up on. us dirt folks just have to watch out for trees and wild animals and dumb asses on horses with cell phones...

12. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I gotzzz no love for roadies!!!:protest:
    And I don’t have to or feel like I have to lie to fit in!!! ](*,)
    Now those female roadies are a whole difference story! Specially the ones w/the nice tide spandex shorts!!
    hmmm freaking KICKS ASS!!! :beer:

I hope I didn’t sound heavy duty but I haven’t had my daily dosage of caffeine :(

13. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
    I commute on my fixie to work and around town, but I wouldn't be caught dead road riding with a full kit in a peleton, hehe. I think those get ups are funny :beer:

14. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Roading riding on MTB

i like to include some road biking in some of my rides and some are entirely road rides. but i don't ride a road bike, i just pump up my knobbies to 65 psi. i ride the road to connect trails in order to make a loop or go on 50 to 62 miles fun rides. or i'll ride around the city to do some ride obstacles or do something technical/chalenging.

i sterted out on a road bike but after dinging my rims, i got a MTB and never looked back, that was 1990. now i do everything on knobbies.

i did the Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile fun ride just barely under 3 hours (2:59:34) and plan to do it again on Aprill 22nd if anyone wants to join me. (i'll post the ride later on)

[​IMG]
    all my buddies and myself do Fun Rides on knobbies, it's simply a lot more fun to ride on the road with a MTB. i also have to say that urban riding on a MTB can be a last, Downtown LA for example is simply awesome and abundant with all types of obstasles and stuff to ride down on.

all i have to say is, ride what you want you want, wherever you want,and how you want; but you'll have more fun on a MTB :D , no joke!!

this year i'll be doing:
    Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile fun ride (south of the border ride, too much fun)
    Tour De Sewer 62 miler (fast ride that goes on 3 riverbeds: Rio Hondo, LA & San Gabriel)
    LA Acura Bike Tour ~22 miles (ride with 15,000 other bikers on marathon route)
    City of Angels Fun Ride 38 miles with an extra 6 mile option (very scenic)

15. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Whether you think road biking is gay or the isht I highly recommend making it out to see the Tour of California this weekend. This Saturday will be finishing in Thousand Oaks with three finishing laps. Sunday in
    Redondo Beach they'll be doing loops around the Esplanade and it will be FAST!!! This is the biggest bike race to hit the Southland in our lives. It's just amazing to see how fast these guys can go. They should easily average 30+ mph for over an hour and 40+ in the finale.

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

16. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Hey Epic, not wanting to sidetrack the topic of the thread but where do you park when doing the Rosarito bike ride; or do you stay in Baja for the weekend?
    I'm curious since I think I will be signing up for the one on April 22nd and wanted to hear from someone with first hand experience.

17. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Hey Endo,
    i've done the ride where i either: park at rosarito and get the shuttle back; the shuttle can cost ~$20 (i go to Rosarito very early, so that i'am able to park on the main blvd. since my truck is most visible there.). I've also had iut arrange to where i have family drop me off at Rosarito and they meet me in Ensenada and then we drive back from down there. when we did stay the night over there, my buddies & i would stay in Tijuana since i got family out there. then we would hit the night life out there which is quite an adventure!!

the final plans for this coming ride are not set in stone yet, i'll be posting details later.

18. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    So you can park on the main blvd the whole day without a problem? How early is early?

I supposedly have someone that wants to go down there as well for the ride and I just need to figure out how early we need to get there. I read about the shuttle service so I was planning on using it as well.

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, I definitely don't see the appeal of road riding. No scenery, car exhaust and the ever present danger of being hit by a car--which I was when I was in high school. I was riding along when a lady in a Mazda Miata (thank God for that at least) ran a stop sign and T-Boned me. I probably would have been really bad off had it been a bigger car.

But, to each his own. We all like different things, that's what makes the world go 'round. So if you like to road ride--good luck and more power to you. As for me, I'll be riding safely on the dirt where nothing can happen:)
    [​IMG]

20. Epic_Mtn_Biker

no problem to park on the blvd all day, just look out for the signage, i get out there before 7:30 am. i park on the Blvd, get a good spot at the front of the start gate and do my thing to prepare for the ride in the meantime.
    let me know if you go and we'll exchange info.