Mt Wilson Observatory Cosmic Cafe, now open!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by charlesinoc, Jul 4, 2010.

1. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    The trail head address is 2260 Pinecrest in Altadena,Ca for the ride up the Mount Wilson Toll Road.

The Cosmic Cafe
    is now open on weekends from 10 am to 4 pm on Mount Wilson and offers a variety of fresh-made sandwiches and other treats to visitors to the Observatory. The Cafe will be open on Monday, July 5 as an extension of the long Fourth of July weekend. Not since 1992 has food been available for purchase on the mountain. The Cafe is located in the Pavilion overlooking the large parking lot at the entrance to the Observatory. A press release announcing the cafe is available here. A map and driving directions showing the current route to Mount Wilson Observatory are available here.

[​IMG]

Uh, I was too hungry after climbing up the toll road. I had 2 coca-cola's with ice, ice cream sandwich and a hotdog. Well this is what's left. Oh man, was it delicious. I really appreciate the fresh bread. To my surprise, the directory of Mount Wilson Observatory Dr. Hal McAlister, MWO Director actually served the food. He asked me to spread the word if I could.

[​IMG]
    Mt Wilson Observatory is open to public visitation daily from 10 am to 4 pm during April 1 - November 30, 2010. The normal access via the Angeles Crest Highway has been interrupted. Detailed information regarding visits and tours is given here. Please pay particular attention to the "Special Access Notice" accompanying that information.

The Cosmic Café is located in the open-air pavilion overlooking the large parking lot just inside the gate to what has been known as Skyline Park since the 1970s. The pavilion serves as the entry point to the Observatory grounds.
    “We’re delighted to reopen this food venue to the public after all these years,” said Dr. Hal McAlister, the Observatory director. “The income from the Cosmic Café will support our ‘Second Century Campaign’ in which we hope to build a wonderful new visitor center that will entice Southern Californians to rediscover this world-class science heritage site in their back yards.”

CORRECTION: A miscomunication by us to the Pasadena Star-News led to an announcement that we would be open for viewing the July 4th fireworks in the Los Angeles basin from Mount Wilson. We apologize for this error, but the gate to Skyline Park will close before dark that evening, and the Observatory will not be open after dark. This mistake is entirely my fault and not that of the Star-News - Hal McAlister, MWO Director.

FYI Henniger Flats now has soda for sale at .75 cents each. :) There is also a fireman that works there and he rides a mountain bike!!! The toll road has spots of sand traps closer to the observatory, so watch out. I had fun cart wheeling today.

[​IMG]

Orange County's premier Slouch :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    I was up there yesterday. What a great addition and a good lunch spot during a ride.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'll be there soon.

4. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    That's what I'm talking about!

When can we get something like that at Dawson Saddle? :lol: