Magicshine 900 Lumens Light?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jubz, Jul 18, 2009.

1. GeoMan

GeoMan New Member

Correct, US Postal Service has a restriction, only 3 of these sized batteries per box, UPS Ground doesn't have that restriction since it does not involve air travel

2. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I can't believe people are complaining to Geoman about this. The Chinese company that made the lights is at fault, not Geoman. Geoman must have spent a fortune on the new replacement batteries which are being offered at no cost. I do not think he is legally required to do this, and as far as I know none of the other Magicshine sellers are doing squat for their customers.

I took mine to my local Radio Shack which is listed on the recycle website. The guy signed the form and took the batteries.

I will have to wait months for my replacement batteries but I don't blame Geoman. How quickly we all forget that before Magicshine starting selling $90 lights we had to pay $350-650 for a Light and Motion ARC that is essentially the same brightness.

If Geoman acted like a lot of companies these days he could have declared bankruptcy and started a company with a new name and we would all be screwed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  3. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

I don't mind shipping the batteries on my own dime, not at all. Heck this is better customer service that what I got for my $400+ night rider - after the 2nd time the ballast blew out (in <6 mos. ) they said they wont warranty it anymore...

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who said to my self - ' it's cheap enough that even if it broke within the first year i'll just buy another one'. Right?

Kudos to GeoMan for standing by his product! Technically not his fault but he stood by it, and saw it through that the problem is corrected. Most small businesses, would have shutdown and ran away from the problem.

Thanks GeoMan!

4. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I just got mine, which is kind of mysterious because I recently moved

5. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

The Chinese manufacturer embeded a tracking chip on the battery :?:

6. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Reply deleted (problem has been... solved)

7. GeoMan

GeoMan New Member

We had the database run through the USPS Change of Address system to help get these letters to recipients who may have recently moved. Glad to see the process worked.

8. GeoMan

GeoMan New Member

We are in the process of sending out a Broadcast email to all of our Newsletter Subscribers, the info below is contained in the email. The offer is for recall affected customers to help promote participation of GeoManGear customers in the recall. Many customers are hesitant to recycle their Magicshine batteries so hopefully this helps keep them nightriding whilst we process their recall claim. The coupon code will be included in the email and the offer is good April 22nd until midnight April 24th, 2011.

Greetings GeoManGear Newsletter Subscribers,

In response to a quickly escalating number of requests for a discounted battery to buy while customers wait for the recall battery to be sent, Geomangear has decided to offer a significant discount on the new GeoManGear battery

20% off the New GeoManGear 4.5Ah battery - you pay only $55.99 (reg. $74.99, on sale now for $69.99)!!
    Use coupon code *********** during step 2 of checkout

The recall process will take some time to complete as the paperwork needs to be collated, approved and a battery sent. We are planning to complete this process as swiftly as possible but sheer volume could mean it will take some time. We have introduced this offer to try to help those customers who don't want to wait while their recall claim is being processed. You can still participate in the recall but this may help you stay on your bike while your claim is processed.

We strongly recommend that you do not continue to use the Magicshine batteries under recall due to safety reasons

*This offer cannot be combined with any other offer.

ThanksThe Team at GeoManGear

9. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Honestly, the above offer isn't very solid. I've purchased a light system that has a major flaw in the battery design and it has been recalled, for safety reasons. If you are trying to appeal to those who don't want to wait the process out and you'd like to sell them a new battery, I don't think giving anyone 20% off is much of a deal at all, considering the circumstance. If it was being offered at 50% off (let's say) and only to customers who own the faulty recalled light system battery pack, then I'd say you're onto something with potential. If your hands are tied (by the manufacturer or supplier) and that's the best you can do, I also understand and appreciate that.

10. GeoMan

GeoMan New Member

Hi Joe

Please let us elaborate a little further. The coupon code is only valid for 3 days and is only being sent to existing customers that may be hesitant to let go of their batteries because they don't want to be without a lighting system. This is not a marketing campaign it's an offer to help those folks who are racing in 2 weeks or commuting daily that really can't recycle their Magicshine batteries as they need them. We don't expect a large number of folks to use the offer but we wanted to help people get their problematic Chinese batteries into a recycling depot. We have had many emails requesting some kind of offer so we put together this one. We have not provided the coupon code to anyone other than existing customers.
    Thanks
    GeoMan

11. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    GeoMan!

Thanks for all the hard work, and keeping us riding at night. I appreciate all the work you guys have been doing, dealing with the problematic batteries. Cant wait to get my new ones!

Thomaswildchild

12. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Tried to ask this through PM's but you arent accepting them.

I havent read through all 41 pages but have tried to keep track of the updates you and many others have provided. My question is what is the difference between your battery and all others selling the same kit through private commercial sales or ebay for example? If there is a recall on lets say Medicine,Advil for instance,its not isolated to just one store. Just because I bought it at CVS and not Ralphs pharmacy it is not eligible? Isnt Magicshine battery manufactured at the same place and distributed from the same chinese location? A recall is a recall right? Im not eligible because I bought the item through somebody other than GeoMan gear? I understand you are not the manufacturer and have gone above and beyond what other companies have,I just dont understand how this is not an entire nationwide recall of a bad product. Is the actuall manufacturer not involved and thus the problem? If not why not? How can I tell if my shrinkwrapped plastic covered battery is a bad battery?

13. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

All good questions. It would be interesting if you could ask the person who sold the light to you and then post the reply here. It would also be interesting to know if Magicshine's current battery is fixed and how you can tell a new one from an old (bad) one.

It sounds like the new geoman battery is made in the USA for geoman and is not the same battery that magicshine is selling.

14. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

So if we buy a battery we get it right away but if we get a recall replacement it can take months? Doesn't something sound wrong here? I'm glad the recall was initiated but its ridiculous to leave people for months without a battery when you have them obviously available.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

15. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

If Geoman stopped responding to all this bitchin' and complaining and responding to questions that have already been answered, I would totally understand..........

16. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Hey man, this is America and we're Americans! Convenience and instant gratification are our god given rights. You don't like it, go back to Taliban!
    But in all seriousness, I've got two batteries. I'm just going to send one back and Homer Simpson it with the other one.

17. captnfantastic

captnfantastic New Member

Such a fantastic light. Lights can be so expensive and although I cannot comment on the durability of this light as I have only had it a couple months, It is more than enough for any trail I've ever taken it on.

18. tandem

tandem New Member

I just finished filling up the Claim Form online and am now looking for a Call2Recycle location to drop it off. Aside from Radioshack, anyone have any success with Home Depot, Lowes or CVS Pharmacy (which are listed as participating recall sites) signing the Claim Submission Confirmation Website Page?

19. Rakuman

Rakuman Member

Artist
    Some of the places listed will and wont you need to call ahead and talk to some one there that knows, My local CVS would not, Home depot would, I ended up mailing them in instead that way I would have a record of them being delivered. mailed priority took 2 days..

20. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Fry's Electronics signed off on mine....