Made in Taiwan vs Made in the U.S.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avilabrands, Aug 30, 2011.

1. avilabrands

avilabrands Member

Sports of the Motor.
    Home Page:
    Ok so I'm doing research since I'll be looking to buy myself a bike before the end of the year. I really like the Santa Cruz bikes. In doing my research I found out some are being made in Taiwan. I was under the impression they were made in the U.S. (my wife's old Chameleon is labeled Made in U.S.) Which leads to my question...in my search for a Santa Cruz should I be concerned for where it was made?

Thanks,

AvilaBrands!

2. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    What year Chameleon??? I have a 2004 and not sure if its US made or not

3. avilabrands

avilabrands Member

Sports of the Motor.
    Home Page:
    I have no idea. I bought it used. Where could I look on the bike to find out?

4. Neccros

Engineer
    Ummm good question!! Taiwan bikes isn't a big deal... 2WheelLee on here said Taiwan has good QC and since they do Qty, they got good at making bikes.... I've seen people have issues with US made bikes but that doesn't mean ALL US bikes have issues.

5. tortoise

tortoise Member

Alot of things use to be made here, things change. Money talks and you know what walks. Try the search this subject has been beatin to death.

6. avilabrands

avilabrands Member

Sports of the Motor.
    Home Page:
    With specific reference to the Santa Cruz brand? I'll go look right now. Thanks!

7. bikerider

bikerider New Member

About the only non custom bikes that are made in USA are the really high end ones. You shouldn't have any issues if its made in Taiwan, plus I understand Santa Cruz has a good warranty no matter where they are made.

8. avilabrands

avilabrands Member

Sports of the Motor.
    Home Page:
    I didn't know that. Good to know. Thanks!

9. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Can't remember the exact year but SC started making bikes overseas around 2007??. It was originally the lower end bikes, Superlight and Hecklers. Each year after that, SC started making more models overseas with the Nomad and V10 being the last bikes to head overseas. The warranty is still the same and I haven't noticed any issues with the overseas bikes.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that SC did not make thier own frames anyway. Kinesis in Oregon was actually building the frames for SC back in 2000 when I got my first frame from them.

I don't believe any of the frames are US made anymore........but that won't stop me from riding them.

11. jruiz

jruiz Member

Made in the USA

In 1996 the FTC [1] proposed that the requirement be stated as:
    It will not be considered a deceptive practice for a marketer to make an unqualified U.S. origin claim if, at the time it makes the claim, the marketer possesses and relies upon competent and reliable evidence that: (1) U.S. manufacturing costs constitute 75% of the total manufacturing costs for the product; and (2) the product was last substantially transformed in the United States.

12. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    If you are interested in an American made frame for a fairly good price, look into Ventana. They make bikes in Nor Cal.

13. Neccros

Engineer
    Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with a Taiwan made frame.... if the company cares at all, they are going to test the companies ability to build a frame, and if they cant, they pick another manufacture.

You think all that "quality" Oakley stuff is made here??? Hell No!! But I KNOW for sure they go through quality checks with their suppliers. I used to know people that worked at Oakley in QA

14. avilabrands

avilabrands Member

Sports of the Motor.
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to look in to them as well...

15. Straykatt

Straykatt New Member

Underwriter
    From what I've collected, Santa Cruz is made by Giant, same company, same warehouse that makes Giant makes Santa Cruze, I've heard this a few times form knowledable people. Taiwan makes good quality bikes and probably put out 50+% of all bikes made globally each year. It would seem they know what their doing.

16. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Santa Cruz carbon frames are made in China..........just like me! Now that's some high quality stuff!:bang::lol:

17. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

My wife was made in Taiwan, if I don't keep her maintained she rattles and squeaks but most of the time she rides just fine....

18. angry red squirrel

angry red squirrel New Member

foes and intense bikes are made in the i.e and la area,also try transition bikes in the pacific northwest

19. deano machineo

deano machineo New Member

Sales
    I deal with a lot of overseas import of precision components. Not bikes. You get what you pay for "over there". Most MFGs have contract reps over there monitoring the situation. There are factories that are fully capable of making the same precision as anywhere else.
    I've read that there are a couple key factories that handle a majority of of the bike frame construction over there.
    As to American USA made frames, I'd go Turner. I have for many years. I don't know of any other companies where you can pick up the phone and talk to the guy who owns and designed the product. Not only that, but I would bet you will not find ANY company that will stand behind their bikes like Turner. Support and warranty-wise.

20. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Transition is located in the PNW, but their bikes are made in Taiwan. That's one reason why -sadly enough- they are generally superior to similar 'made in USA' bikes.

As painful as it is to admit (having been a lifelong advocate of "made in USA" bikes), Taiwan manufactured bikes are usually superior to American made ones in terms of welding, quality control, dependability, and certainly price.

I've owned an Intense, and will not buy another. I know a number of people with Intenses, Knollys, and Turners who have either broken frames (in ways they shouldn't have failed), or had other major issues. To be fair, I know a number of people with Turners who are completely stoked with their bikes, and have never heard of any problems with Ventanas.

Edit: The above refers mostly to AM, FR, and DH bikes. I cannot speak for XC or 29ers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011