Lost Rhodesian Ridgeback in Noble Canyon

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mcinvale, Nov 1, 2009.

1. TrailMonkey

TrailMonkey New Member

Right On:beer:

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Details?

Was he out there or did someone pick him up?

Now a few words for Kipper....

Hey Kip, slowly walk up behind your master open your mouth very wide and grab a big bite out of his butt.

I''m so very glad you got your dog back. I've been hoping and reading every day waiting for this.:)

3. Brandy

Brandy New Member

AWESOME!!!! This is the best news that I've heard all week!

4. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Yeah!! We need details please! Major details!
    That was almost a week wasn't it! Lucky dog for sure!!
    I say Dean is the hero here. Get the dog microchipped Gaylord!!!!

5. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    This is sooooo cool! I've been tracking this closely on daily basis.

The resilience of a Ridgeback should not be underestimated. Furthermore, a shout out to all the STR folks who have shown such care and concern for Kipper, Gaylord and his family. This site offers so much more than simple MTB talk.

Also... correct me if I'm wrong Gaylord, but did you just sign up on STR? If so: :welcome: from one Ridgeback owner to another. Coming out of this saga, I'm going to get Zeke microchipped. I assume Kipper will too.

6. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Cool! Good news indeed!

Also thank goodness it's over, this thread was going and going like General Hospital....drama and all.:lol:

7. Burner

Burner WAWE

Very happy to hear the pup is back with his family :clap:

8. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    [​IMG]

WOO HOO!​

9. gvb

gvb New Member

First off, THANK YOU for all the support and help. I ran into about 4 or 5 people out there today who told me they had been following this thread and keeping a sharp eye out for the dog. Thanks to 1080P for the tip on bringing dirty clothes out every day, and not relying on the ones that had been out there for more than a day already... that is what got Kipper back on the scent, and back home!

After getting a phone call last night from someone who spotted Kipper up near his bed around 5:30pm, my son and I got up there as fast as we could. We both had been wearing the same clothes for the last two days, so we took off our shirts and rubbed them all over ourselves. We replaced the clothes that had been sitting on the dog bed with these new, stinky ones. We searched until about 8:30pm, but did not spot him. We headed home to regroup.

Knowing today would be the busiest day out there, I prepared new flyers and we were up there at 9:00am. We started up at the Sunrise Highway parking lot, putting up posters everywhere we could. When we got down to where Kippers bed was, I noticed the clothes and blanket had been moved into a nest, and ALL the food and water were gone. Fresh Kipper tracks! I was certain we would be taking him home today... I just didn't expect it to be so soon.

I headed North to put a flyer on a tree near the trail, and my son went South calling for his dog. Just as I was about to hang a flyer up, I saw a scrawny brown dog push through the bush down near my car. My first thought was that this dog belonged to someone else, but my heart started racing anyway. I ran down to find Kipper's tail wagging and my son hugging him. According to my son, Kipper just trotted right out of the bush and came directly to him.

After 7 full days in the Laguna's, he is covered in manzanita scratches, a few tics, and is about 10 pounds lighter. He didn't even want to follow me around to take the signs down... he went right to the car and started to climb in. We went down into Pine Valley and cleaned up all of our flyers. When we got home, I gave him a bath, and he was happy to eat a full dinner. Other than being a little tired, he seems unaffected by his little vacation. I wish I had a GPS to see where he had been, because I covered a few square miles around that area for 7 days in a row, screamed at the top of my lungs, brought out a bitch in heat, and used noise makers that he would be very familiar with. I got calls from people who say they spotted him down near the Pine Valley cabins. Quite the adventure!

Hindsight is 20/20... would the chip or collar have made any difference? No. Would I have done anything differently? Yes. I would have made sure my dog was behind me after each sharp turn, paid more attention to the strong winds, and had someone following closer behind me to keep an eye on him. At a full sprint on my DH bike, Kipper is always right on my back tire the entire time. Leash? Anyone with a Weim or Ridgeback would laugh at you for even recommending that. These are loyal endurance dogs.... BUT, shit happens.

Kipper lives on 6.5 acres in the middle of the mountains. He has never left my side, or required me to call him back more than once. He is not an urban dog, and I don't plan on collaring/tagging him 24/7 after this incident. I do plan on collaring/tagging him if we leave the house, and paying closer attention to his tracking skills knowing that he is not quite fully developed. His breeder stopped by today, and has a microchip waiting at the house for him.

Thanks again everyone... you guys kick ass...

[​IMG]

10. TrailMonkey

TrailMonkey New Member

Next time give Kipper the gear he needs for multi night Lion hunting missions.
    Kea (RR) showing off her new Magicshine-900-Lion Killer Light

[​IMG]

11. panteratwork

panteratwork Member

Bikes/Music/Film
    cool, well there goes my chance at 1000 bucks. LOL glad you got your dog back...

12. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    I pretty much knew you'd at least see Kipper today, what with some freshly scented clothes last night. I bet Ole Kipper heard that old Jeep coming a long ways off, as you headed up the road. My GSP had the sound of my truck memorized, he could hear me coming home a long ways off. Rudy was a hellion from about 8 months to 16 or 18 months. Typical teenager dog, became unsteady to sit, stay and whoa. Even became unsteady to "no". But he got through it, and was the best bird dog I ever had the pleasure of hunting quail with. I only lost him once. He was there on the third day, on a well worn shirt from the day before on his bed, stuck in the tall sage. I learned that tip from probably the best quail hunter I knew, an old timer, had trained more dogs and forgotten more training tips for hunting dogs than I'd even be able to remember.

Next time, if it ever happens again, put Kippers bed in some cover, instead of in the open, where he gets some protection from the elements and the sight of every driver coming by. Savvy hunting dogs don't like being exposed. Watch a coyote run away from humans some time and you'll see, every time, he gets some cover between you and him.

Next time I do Noble, I'd like to meet this wonder dog.

~R~

13. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    bad dog, kipper. bad dog.

(don't ever leave again)

"have your pets spayed or neutered (and collared and chipped)."--b. barker

14. gvb

gvb New Member

Yea... there may be some Coyote Ridgeback bastard children out there now... look out!

15. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I politely suggest you at least get him chipped.

Had someone illiterate and/or not a MTB forum reader found him and turned him in...

16. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Oh yeah, and Gaylord, teach Kipper how to push the "Thanks" button on your computer or something. He's smarter than his master! ;)

17. crazysue

crazysue New Member

AP & Parts in a Motorcycle dealership
    Home Page:
    Damn it Kipper, you put me through hell!

Meet Zeek, our quirky no-nutted Ridgeback rescue dog -

I thought our dog was a trouble maker

Attached Files:

18. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    It's so cool you got him back and had a happy ending!
    Nonetheless, a collar and tag could have made a difference if he'd been found injured or hit by a car.
    Dead animals are not scanned for microchips BTW.
    Everyone on here cared about him and his safety and it was a good thing he was not injured or picked up.
    Clearly you thought that he could have been picked up since you posted signs all over!
    Microchips and tags just makes your chances better for a safe return. That's all. There's still no guarantee but it betters the odds!
    Anyway, this info. is for everyone that owns a pet that they take out in the woods or on camping trips.
    For the city dwellers, tags in a natural disaster or house fire can help get your pet home also.
    Anyway, good news! We are all happy! :wave:

19. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    remote collar

20. ultraNoob

ultraNoob Future Vet Beginner