knee ligament sprain

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by profnachos, May 14, 2012.

1. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    This is a frustrating one.

Back in February or so, I sprained my knee while practicing yoga. My right foot slipped on a puddle of sweat I was shedding. At the time it wasn't such a big deal. The pain was minor and I was able to ride up and down Blackstar without a problem twice a week in addition to hitting the yoga mat 3-4 times a week.

Then I decided to go for the Quail trail step climb. The grade ranges from 20% to 27% and it did a number on my knee. I could barely walk the next day which prompted a visit to my doctor. He thinks I only sprained it since there is no acute pain.

This past Saturday, I took it to the Unmentionable Trail hoping to work my way back up to more arduous climbs. It was my first ride in four weeks. My knee was a mess again the next day.

Has anyone else had an experience with a sprained knee ligament? The trick is knowing when it has healed enough to get back on the bike. I am not 25 any more, so I know it will take longer to heal, but this is just frustrating.

2. el cap

el cap Active Member

Are you sure it's not a tear that got worse? Regardless, I would get a MRI. I had a tear last year that got worse to a point my knee swelled after every ride. I had it operated on last April and they repaired a tear in my meniscus and ACL. I'm still on crutches. It sucks!

3. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

Have you checked your bike fit? I had a similar problem that ended up being a seat too far forward.

4. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Check into some of this,it should help

http://www.kinesiotaping.com/global/corporation.html

But like the others said, have a sports medicine doctor check it out then go get fitted on your bike again (cause as your body changes, the proper fit will change with you).

5. Danimal22

Danimal22 New Member

Utilities General Foreman, Disneyland Resort
    Get it checked by an orthopediac doctor, I was done in by our new dog (a australian shepard and lab mix that is about 100-lbs now) she was running with my other dog straight at me and plowed me at full run tearing my outside (LCL) ligament, had mri and it was a grade 2 (partial tear) and did not require surgery, but did have to totally mobilize it with a full leg brace for almost 6 weeks. I got ultrasound 2x a week and was able to start riding again slowly building up strength and fitness again. Knee injuries suck! they take a long time to get back in shape. Oh and I am 52 years old and it take longer to recouperate as you get older...

6. badgas

badgas I like dirt

X2 on getting an MRI

My wife just had meniscus surgery 3 weeks ago. She had nagging pain and stiffness on and off for 3 weeks and finally got the MRI and the Tear was pretty large. I had ACL reconstruction in 94 and my knee is fine but getting it fixed or at least checked out is key and also getting into a good physical therapy program. My wife also had a visit to the Dr. but it was the MRI 3 weeks later was what revieled it.

I think I know more people that have had torn meniscus than people that have not. It's pretty common in active adults.

Good luck

7. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Do you know which ligament it was? Was there swelling (massive swelling = usually an ACL)? A physician should be able to do a few basic "special tests" on your knee to determine the specific tissue involved and the integrity of it. Like what others have recommended, definitely see an orthopod or internist who specializes in sports med.

8. Ricky2222

Ricky2222 New Member

Outside Sales
    I had similar problem (from drunkin wrestling in a bounce house on new years) and it took 5-6 weeks for me to resume activity. What helped was icing the area 1-2 times a day to reduce swelling and wearing a compression knee brace daily when walking or doing any other activity. You can find active braces at any sporting good store.

9. racinteach

racinteach New Member

School teacher/ EMT
    Knee issues require lots of rest if there is no real damage. Sprains and ligaments take forever to heal. But as mentioned above go get a very good exam to make sure its not worse then you think.. MRI will tell you whats wrong. if its negative , then rest is key.. light load rides to keep mobility in the joint. I know its hard to stay away from the bike when hurt but you feel good at the same time.

10. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    A doctor has looked it and determined an MRI was not needed. I will be seeing a physical therapist in a few days. He is quite experienced in sports injuries and hopefully he will come up with a more accurate disgnosis and the course of action.

11. racinteach

racinteach New Member

School teacher/ EMT
    DR says it does not need an MRI? funny can he see through your skin? xrays do not see torn muscle. get a second opinion. My HMO is like that.. I demand it and they now have to do it since I still hurt ( sholder injury) xrays came back neg, yet I can't lift my arm past a certain point.. be forceful. good luck.

12. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I had a similar problem with my leg/ankle. Dr told me to walk it off because xray came back negative, but I got an MRI 2 months later because it was still painful and had broken tibia, stretched tendon, and torn ligament...

13. el cap

el cap Active Member

+ 1 ... I had to demand a MRI since my HMO wanted to just take the f'in easy route last year (i.e. therapy, rest, and Cortisone shots). The pain and swelling kept on coming back over the past year. My insurance finally approved a MRI after complaining that everything else did not work and I was at a point that I could not even walk after a short bike climb due to pain and swelling in my knee. At that point, my doc requested a MRI. All HMOs want to save money and not go the expensive route, but in the long run they end of paying a lot more because the injury just gets worse. My meniscus tear got to a point that I also damaged my ACL as well. I had my knee surgery on April 10, 2012 and I had my leg drained 2x since the surgery. I'm just off the crutches after 6 weeks post-surgery; I'm just starting to get my motion back with physical therapy session 2x a week. My physical therapist now wants me to start doing small weights and pool walking. It's going to take a long time before my knee gets back to normal. Knee surgery sucks!