Is the 26er dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rojomas, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
  2. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    I would say no because there is just many of them out there to phase out entirely. People like them and probably won't want to change.

3. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Roger, to be honest I don't know if I've ever heard someone say that.

I myself have said I got faster, but that's different. My riding limitations still seem to be my own, as shown to me by those trails I still can't (or choose not to try to) clean.

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Because I still feel compelled to read even though the thread merely goes around in circles... It's like a friggin' filibuster. And, since it didn't get closed, now I feel like I have to read the subsequent four pages to see what I missed. Dammmitt....

5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Me too...lol

6. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I have... Well, mostly I've read it in reviews.

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    What self-respecting mountain biker can resist the best of all possible worlds..?

"Consider the advantages of a bike built around the 650B platform.
    • Good for making tight maneuvers
    • Helps you easily float over objects
    • Goes where you want it to go
    • For shorter riders (under 5'8") allows a small frame size without distorting frame geometry.
    • Doesn’t make you work harder like a 29er; works harder for you
    • Offers the support and stability of a 29er
    • Provides the nimble feel of a 26" platform
    Why 650B Matters

650B is the best option in wheel size because it combines all of the best features of 26ers and 29ers, providing a ride that feels just right. The 650B wheel offers the support of a 29” wheels combined with the nimble appeal of the 26”. By riding with the 650B wheel size, you also get the maneuverability of a smaller wheel like a 26” without sacrificing the roll over power of a larger wheel.

..The future of mountain biking is moving towards the 650B wheel, with some estimating that the 26" wheel may one day be completely obsolete."

(From sixfifty.com)

8. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

This is exactly what's bugging me. They already made the decision. Maybe it is better but let ME decide if it's right for me. This is the same industry that told me to run a long stem, narrow bars and a 72deg head angle even though I hated it and told me I was wrong.

9. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

this is also the same industry that switched you over (whether you like it or not) to tapered steerers, 2x10 drivetrains, 142mm rear axles, 15mm front axles and some BB nonsenses that I frankly haven't kept up with. All within a year essentially.

how long 'til we are forced to buy electric drivetrains, and whateverthehellelse . . .

I see Kona went with 27.5 for all of their Full Suspension AM bikes for 2014. Right after they introduced and marketed the brand new Kona Process (26'er) for 2013. It's crazy how much these companies are switching things up year to year. I hope some day they all settle down and agree to all the same standards and just make some good bikes for a few years before we have to go through this crap all over again.

10. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I just rode my first 650b today. It was a demo bike from the Path. A brand spanking new Trance 650b. I rode it today in Idyllwild and it was pretty awesome. I need to replace my trail bike and I've been looking at the 650b platform as an option to replace my 26" Blur TRc. I have a 29er as well and I like it. A lot. I've had many 26ers and I've liked some of them very much and some have been pretty meh.

I gotta say, I found that the 650b really does what it's touted to do. The trails I was riding on had some very tight, rocky sections, some steep punchy climbs and fast flowy sections. The Trance was pretty awesome on all of it and I didn't even really have the suspension dialed in all that great.

I know that many people don't want to give up their 26 inch wheels due to the flickability and jumping qualities of the 26er. And while i like a responsive bike, I'm not a jumper. That ain't how I ride, so I have no idea how this bike would behave in those situations. But after only 5 minutes on this bike I did notice that I was looking for the more technical, rocky lines. I immediately felt comfortable on this bike. The geometry and the 650b wheels were very confidence inspiring. And it definitely got up to speed faster on steep climbs than my 29er does. My Anthem is great at a lot of things and it definitely has its place in my stable, but the Trance seems like a great choice for an all around trail bike.

The other thing that was really notable is that both my Blur TRc and my Anthem 29er are pretty much sit and spin climbers. I just sold my Yelli Screamy recently and the thing I loved most about that bike was how it just begged to be climbed out of the saddle and mashed. The Trance is the perfect middle ground. It was super efficient when climbing, but i also found myself wanting to stand and mash up climbs which was a totally different experience from my other bikes.

I'm not here to make up anyone's mind one way or the other, but personally I liked it a lot and will most likely get a slackish 650b bike as my replacement bike. I'm still very torn about which suspension platform I'm gonna pull the trigger on, but I have no doubt that whichever bike I pick, it's gonna be fun!

11. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I rode my 650b again yesterday in Cherry canyon, which is a fairly easy / flowy trail. I didn't notice a huge difference in the wheel size.

In comparison to my anthem 26er. The Norco range is far more confidence inspiring. I believe this can be attributed to three main factors.

1. The head angle is slacker. Alot slacker.

2. It is an AM geo. The Anthem is a XC geo.

3. Travel. 160 vs 120 ( Anthem came with 100 fork)

That being said, I dont think its comparable. Apple to oranges.

I originally wanted the Norco Range but couldn't find one in my size as it was discontinued. I settled on a Range 650b aka Range KillerB. Ive test ridden the Range 26er, but not extensively. I feel the 650b version retained most of its original characteristics.

To be honest, I cant feel a large difference. Subtle differences? Yes.

12. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    What model did you demo? I was going to check out Trance 3 27.5 at Fullerton bikes last week, but the alternator on the car went out and was leaving town for vacation the next day so did not get to check it out. I saw the spec sheet on the T3 in SLO and was not impressed with the specs vs price. They will have a frameset that cost $1500 and probably will go that route.

Attached Files:

• 143.jpg
      143.jpg
      File size:
      169.2 KB
      Views:
  13. speckledtrout

actor
    I'm not sure which model, to be honest. It was specced with slx components and the frame was silver with blue. I was more interested in the geometry and ride of the bike as I too will be just getting the carbon frame.

The only downside I noticed with that particular model was that the wheelset was crazy heavy. And I'm not sure if it was flex from the wheelset or what, but when I would lean the bike into corners, the brake rotors would rub. i weigh 130-135 so I can only imagine it would be much worse for a rider heavier than me.

14. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    It must have been the model up, I saw the pictures and specs but do not remember what they are. The frameset set comes silver w/ blue and white. I would guess that the wheelset is crap and would replace ASAP. I build my own wheels and have already ordered the Pacenti TL28 650B, which I already use in 26 inch form with 240s and 3x spokes. I need to make it down there just to try it out, I weigh 100 lbs more than you and would be pissed if I bought a frame and it was flexing like a noodle.

15. speckledtrout

actor
    would it be the frame or the wheels that would make the rotors rub? I honestly have no idea. That was a first for me. :?:

16. riiz

riiz Member

17. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

18. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    From Pink Bike's interview with Giant:

[​IMG] Can we expect to see 29 and 26-inch wheels eventually disappear in Giant's consumer-priced bikes in the near future?

· 26-inch for sure, but 29-inch will be dependent on market feedback. That said, if the market progresses the way we believe it will, 29-inch will be phased out in approximately two years....again, totally dependent on market feedback.

19. bing!

bing! Active Member

I just put a Zokes 55 RC3 Ti on my dead bike.

I think I just brought it back to life. "IT'S ALIVE!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :)

20. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Then you won't be selling me anything bikes. How's that for market feedback?