Is riding solo risky?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quikflip27, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Once again, I beg to differ. Take a look the stats for solo diver deaths compared to those deaths where divers were buddied up and you will see what I mean. I doubt you can show a 10x per capita higher death among solo divers ;)

The whole "cert mania" is just another attempt to separate you from your $$. Even so, a certified "solo" diver will typically not be allowed to dive thusly due to the dive operator's fear of liability.

You are responsible for yourself. Good idea under water and a good idea on the trails too.

2. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Mountain biking is about riding alone. If you want to ride in a group get a road bike and ride in any of the local socal pelotons.

If you are riding in a group on a mountain bike you will at some point need to stop and wait for someone to catch-up, or you will be the one cathing up. In any case, mountain biking in a group is all about start and stop and start and stop.....

If I'm mountain biking alone I can set my own pace and take whatever trails I want to take.

On the other hand, road riding in a peloton is fun. Most cases road riding is all about strategy and riding in a peloton is where you can learn alot about strategy.

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    you know the answer to the question? Are you willing to risk it???? :?:

4. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    Riding Alone

:wave:I think riding alone is ok. The main thing is be smart about riding alone. The whole thread pretty much talks about being smart on riding alone.

Riding popular trails such as El Moro, Whiting, Aliso Woods...etc... are fine riding on your own as long as you hit the trails at a descent hour (dont go out when the sun is setting and almost gone). Of cousrse stay on the main trails and avoid some of the unmarked trials. Majority of the time someone is bound to go by if help is needed.

For longer rides up in the main divide are ok but make sure you tell someone you are leaving and what general time you might be back. Be easy on the return time since you may add to the ride or even have some break down. Of course if no report back by sundown...have them call you or the proper people.

I have ridden the main divide solo several times but make sure and do it early with plenty of sunlight for the return. Also make sure and stay on the main trail and not do any exploring of nice little single tracks. Tough to pass up but better to be smart and safe than some human treat for the wildlife!

As always....be smart about your ride and when something looks really tough to make down....Walk or go around as needed. Ride within your limits when solo...nothing to prove to anyone since you are solo!

Happy Trails.....:wave:

5. kanga

kanga Active Member

If you're truly worried about riding alone, be it on the road or on a trail, there are some free services that could be useful, and a lot cheaper than a SPOT device. I've tried some of these and they work pretty well, albeit battery life on my particular winmo device sucked with the software running.

With a gps-enabled smartphone and data plan you can try one of these free services that allow somebody to see where you are in real time on a map on a web page:

http://www.instamapper.com/

http://www.mologogo.com/

http://www.buddyway.com/

There are plenty of paid ones as well. I know these need a data connection to be useful, but being able to see the last point at which you had a signal on a web page might be helpful to rescuers, and reassuring to loved ones at home.

Just a thought. I'd be more concerned about the privacy issues and battery life of a device under these circumstances, but they have their use.

6. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    You ride solo even on group rides b/c no one will follow you down some of the shiat you drop in....:lol:

7. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    It's not that I personally question if there are risks with riding solo, I mostly ride solo and have gone OTB many times riding alone (just did another one today >_<). I was just curious what the risks are of being alone. (incase I miss something to look out for). Also, if it's safer to ride solo or plan a group ride and only one other person shows up that isn't even on the forum but got word of the ride (sometimes its the human element that bugs me). And what are the best precautions? I do like that post of the airhorn that is mounted on the bars...
    Thanks for the responses everyone, keep em coming. :)

8. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

I have ridden alone for most of my mtn bike years and only gone over trabuco twice,sprained my wrist on Holy Jim .You just can't ride over your head when alone or take stupid chances.You do your own thing and don't have to wait or catch up .

9. BD97

BD97 Member

Being a newbie rider I ride solo most of the time too, anybody know where I can get a good knife and pepper spray to scare those scary cats or hikers? :eek:

10. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Navy surplus! I think its over in Gardena, by Figueroa and Alondra...
    They have all sorts of knives/swords, pepper sprays, Gas masks, camping gear... so on and so forth! :bang:

11. butasan

butasan Member

I ride alone all the time, and I believe "the risk" helps keep my edge. Same goes for doing 50 foot triple when I go moto.

12. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    I carry a GPS, HAM radio and whilst I've never felt threatened on the trails that I have ridden alone, I'd take my Glock 30 .45 sub-compact if needed.

The only place I've ever felt the need to carry any gun was when living in the shady area of North Hollywood, at night.

13. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

I ride alone more often than with others. Not so much by choice, mainly because if I had to wait for their schedule to coincide with mine, I'd never get out to ride.
    I also tend to be a little more cautious when alone.

Rode Sycamore canyon today, I only saw 2 other riders in the 3 hours I was out.
    Thats 3 solo rides this week.

One big benefit of being alone, is the ride is quieter, and you will see a LOT more wildlife. Hopefully not another Mtn Lion like a month ago.

14. Campy

Campy New Member

Sys Admin
    I've ridden alone most of the last 5 years in El Morro, Alisso, and Whiting. Only in the last 6 months have I started riding with someone, and never with any more than 4 people including me. I've always been more cautious when alone and even freaked out at times, sometimes it feels like somethings watching you. Early mornings in the fog at El Morro are incredible and eerie. For those that doubt mountain lions are around, they're closer than you think, I saw one in El Morro during the climb up from Deer Canyon. I couldn't believe my eyes, and I was with 3 other riders.

15. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Army/Navy surplus.....get to it!;)

16. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    Exactly how I feel.

17. TMS

TMS New Member

While I do enjoy riding with people, I ride alone the majority of the time. I don't really ride remote alone (the most remote is out to old camp), I stick mostly to the parks. As a matter of fact I will be riding alone tomorrow and probably Thursday.

18. rev106

rev106 Member

Ride alone at your own pace and the solitude can be nice. Ride in groups and you're waiting up for people. Both have risks, those risks you have to weigh. I ride alone almost every day in the morning, not too remote but I guess I could fall off the trail and never be seen again, but if I were afraid then I would just stay home.

19. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

20. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge

Where were you riding when you spotted a mtn. lion ?

What time of day and season? I want to hear from people who've genuine lion sightings/experiences.