Is a Specialized Enduro a good XC/Trail Bike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quaestionis, Mar 26, 2008.

1. quaestionis

quaestionis Isaiah 52:7

Home Page:
    I've been looking at purchasing a Specialized Enduro Elite. My question is whether that particular model is good for general XC/trailriding, or whether its more of an AM/Freeride rig. I do very little jumping or riding big drops, and generally spend my time on the local San Diego XC trails. I would like a bike that would help me clean some of the gnarlier spots at places like Noble, but for the most part my riding is going to be at places like LPQ, Daley, Sycamore, Calavera, etc.

I'm not the best climber already, so if its going to put me at a greater disadvantage there, maybe its not the way to go. However, I am attracted to the longer travel and overall features it brings. I currently ride a 2005 Specialized FSR Pro. It's OK, but I've been looking to upgrade.

I welcome and appreciate your thoughts, particularly those who actually own an Enduro. Let me know if you need more info from me to help shape your advice.

Thanks in advance,

James

2. danlorek

danlorek New Member

in my opinion, an air sprung six inch class bike is the perfect setup... they're a bit harder to climb, but i can climb everything (if not more) on my 6er that i can on my smaller travel bike. i have a ss, dh, xc, and a 6inch bike and i ride the 6inch bike 99% of the time.
    if you're not racing, they're perfect... go for it!
    d

3. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I have an Enduro SL 07 Pro. It climbs everything and descends jsut great. I've had issues with the fork needing rebuilding but aside from that its great. I've done 8hr rides on it and it ride it alot more than my Epic.

4. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I have an 05 Enduro Expert (came stock with the Fox 36, and it's currently got a Fox DHX Air as the rear shock). I keep beefier tires on it (Nevegal 2.35) and it is literally a perfect bike for Noble.

I've ridden Noble on a Stumpy (05 Expert), but the Enduro is meant for Noble. I can't imagine riding the trail on any other bike :)

The setup is a little different on the current Enduro's, though, so can't really speak to their climbing ability.

It is a heavier bike to climb, but the 36 is a Talas, so I dial it down most of the way to climb, and use the propedal that is available on the DHX air.

But, descending it makes it all worthwhile.

FWIW, other than all day AM rides, I wouldn't consider the Enduro to be a XC-ish rig, but it depends on what you want. There are guy's that climb and ride 40lbs bikes all day and race on them and don't mind!

The Enduro won't be that much, though :)

5. thephat

thephat Active Member

Have you done a demo? Most Specialized shops have a fleet of test bikes.

6. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

I also have an 07 Enduro SL (Expert, weaker component group than the Pro). Like Keith B, I've also had problems with the fork, but other than that it's been an amazing bike.

Are you looking at the Enduro or the Enduro SL? If you are considering the SL, I would suggest looking at the Specialized Pitch, which is basically the SL frame but with non-Specialized fork and shock (and it's cheaper). That might be a real nice option for you.

7. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    I was looking at the Pitch but now I am going with the Giant Reign.

Both are sweet bikes, but the Reign has a better price point.

Reign/Enduro/Pitch.
    I don't think you could go wrong with any one of those options.

8. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
  9. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    I have a 2007 Enduro SL. It's a great all around trail bike, both climbs well and descends well. I do have a Lyrik fork and replaced the shock for a Fox coil shock, which makes a big difference too.

10. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    I have a 08' S-Works Enduro SL. It won't set any records going uphill, but I find myself making up more technical climbs with it than I did with my stumpjumper. The bike feels long and rides somewhat longish but I find it requiring less body english to make it up the climbs. Just sit and spin, it'll get you there! Then, put the fork in the longer setting, and let it RIP on the down! Good bike, very happy with the set up. Only once since I owned it have I run into a turning radius issue on a switchback with the double crown E-150 fork. My bike scaled in at 29lbs with 2.4" tires( schwalbe Big Betty).:bang:

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Totally agree. For some reason it is a better technical climber than the Stumpy. Slower, though, I think as well.

12. quaestionis

quaestionis Isaiah 52:7

Home Page:
    I love this place...

Thanks very much to all for your replies and opinions thus far.

I can't make it to the demo in Fullerton tonight from SD unfortunately because of work. Since I'm also looking in the used market, I don't want to waste the time of a LBS demoing one of their bikes without at least a good faith willingness to purchase from them, which I can't swing at the moment due to the higher cost of buying new.

I couldn't care less about speed in climbing, since I don't race, but just didn't want anything that would making climbing more difficult. The fact that the Enduro may climb techy sections a little better than a Stumpy only makes me more interested in the Enduro, since I need all the help I can get in that arena.

I'm trying to keep costs down, so I had not really been considering the Enduro SL. Not against it at the right price, but my current leads are all in the basic Enduro Elite category. I figure I can upgrade some of the components as I go along and finances permit down the road.

I will also look into the Pitch, thanks for that lead.

Thanks again to all so far for the guidance, and I welcome additional thoughts. I'll likely be making my decision this weekend either way.

James

13. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Agree, its slower by some ways but alot better on tech climbs and in another league descending.