Road Ride Report Highway 39 to Highway 2 Loop

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Apr 24, 2009.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I had a GREAT day out today. Started and ended in Pasadena. My route went up Highway 39/Azusa up to Highway 2/Angeles Crest Highway.

Temps in the morning were nice and cool. I got started about 8:15 in Pasadena. I took California, to Huntington, to Foothill, to the SGRT, to Highway 39. There was minimal road traffic at that time which was nice. I refilled one bottle at the closed OHV pay booth. Taste wasn't great but also worked just fine. The road was close a bit lower that I've seen it in the past.

The lone remaining cabin owner by the spring around the 4,000 foot level was just arriving home as I rolled up. I took the opportunity to stop and talk to her about the water. The owner of a store at Crystal Lake was there helping her with things around the cabin. They both told me there a lot of animals in the area and to use caution. I had 1.5 bottles at that point so I decided to fore go getting water. I had my Klear Water purification drops just in case though.

They mentioned the plan is to open the road to Crystal Lake in the fall. The guy who owns the store up there mentioned he will be opening a restaurant type place up there tool. This could be a really nice addition to the area. Nice place for a breakfast in the mountains.

Caltrans was driving down at one point and must have been clearing the road becuase the road was totally clear all the way to Highway 2. Neary a rock larger than a marble or snow drift.

I met a good friend at Newcombs Ranch for lunch. He rode his motorcycle up ACH. Temps really started to cool off on the descent. I put on my wind vest at Newcombs and then arm warmers at Clear Creek. I was really glad I had the arm warmers for the last descent because it was cold.

I finally brought my camera for Liz but it got all fogged up and I didn't take a single photo all day, sorry. Next time Liz.

Total Distance: 89.38 miles
    Total Ascent: 8,874 feet (Average of Garmin Training Center, Motion Based, ad Geoladders)
    Average Speed: 13.1
    Total Ride Time: 8:36
    Total Moving Time: 6:24
    Max Speed: 44.8

2. Good_ol'_slappy

Good_ol'_slappy aka SB

Real nice ride Brian....but you couldn't squeeze in a few RB laps on your way home for the add'l 10.62 miles? ;)

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Man, you've become a climbing machine! That's a lot of elevation and a great ride time. I'm going to get back on the road bike one of these days.

Nick, there's not enough climbing at the bowl for this guy!

4. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I really need to add in a side trip up to Mt Wilson next time to get in those extra miles. :lol:

5. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    I think that is the all time classic San Gab's pavement ride. I also way prefer the counter-clockwise because you get most of the climbing out of the way going up 39.

I am way overdue doin' it again. But something tells me my total ride time won't match your 6:30. More like 9:30, alas

6. JimN

JimN Member

That's a nice loop. I've always done it in the clockwise direction, starting from Encanto Park, riding over to La Canada, up Angeles Crest, and down Hwy 39. Seems like I'm always running into a nasty headwind heading down Hwy 39 near the end of the ride. I'll have to try it counter-clockwise next time.

7. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    This was my first time going counter-clockwise after two loops clockwise. I actually prefer this way. The grade is steeper I think but not nearly as bad as I expected. The part I liked the most was the road is closed most of the route. That made for a very peaceful ride. It might kind of suck when the road opens. I was dreading the 5 climbs after Newcombs but they were so much easier that the earlier climbing that they seemed like a piece of cake.

8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Save the DRAMA fo ur MAMA

Finish carpenter

9. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I would assume all of the above, they didn't state. My guess is mainly dear though.

10. Brandy

Brandy New Member

I rode up to Crystal Lake for the first time a couple of months ago...what a nice ride! I totally bonked as I wasn't planning to go up there and had started from the base of GMR, planning to just do repeats and then got a wild hair. #-oI did the whole 70+ miles on 240 calories and 40 oz of water...I don't recommend it. :lol:

I talked to a Cal Trans guy at the 5,000 ft mark, he was very cool. He stopped to warn me about the heavy equipment coming down from Crystal Lake and he had told them to watch out for me too. Nice guy. He told me of similar plans to get the road open to Crystal Lake soon, but it sounded like they needed to take care of some road erosion in the Narrows section.

Was the first gate closed? That's where I had to hop it when I did it. They were working on the bridge before the second gate that day.

11. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Yeah it was the first gate that was closed.

Next time I think I'm going to do an out and back to Baldy lifts via East Fork. Lunch at Baldy Village. Wish I had a XC bike, or maybe larger tires, so I could eat at Baldy Notch.

12. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

Greenbike42 and I parked at the ranger station and went up to the 2 on Saturday. It was AWESOME. I can't believe I haven't been up there yet.

13. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Instead of the camera, invite me. If I'm in town I'll go with you!!
    I did Wildflower century on Saturday! Stunning weather!! 107 miles and 6100 ft of climbing!! That century rocks!!