Have you ever taken a bike clinic or are your skills self taught?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by krishno22, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    I grew up riding and racing bmx so bike handling skills were never an issue - to a point. When I transitioned to mountain bikes I felt at home as well because I could navigate most terrain I encountered . When I was working for GT Bicycles back in the 90's I got tapped to be in catalog and video shots for new products and along on the shoot was bmx pro Mike Miranda, who turned out to be way faster than me thru a lot of sections. He also turned out to be a great teacher to all on the shoot, giving helpful hints the whole time that I still remember to this day. Long story short: We all have something to learn from someone who really knows their stuff.

2. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Maybe--I'm the guy who OTB'd on the boulder on the top of westridge... IMG_0681.jpg I didn't have a red cape on that day, but I was Superman. I think it was the January 9, 2010 class. I just got an e-mail from Joe as I was looking for this pic and I asked him about the 2011 schedule--I'll let you know if I hear anything.

I'm definitely thinking about doing it again. I ride Aliso Woods at lunch a couple times a week and have gotten to where I clean Cholla every time, but I'm not yet cleaning Lynx or Rock-It and I don't even want to think about 5-Oaks or Car Wreck until I'm able to do Lynx and Rock-It; I may never ride 5-Oaks or Car Wreck. I rode Car Wreck once when I was starting to feel like I knew what I was doing, but it quickly made me realize I have a lot to learn... That's ok though, that's part of the fun and what keeps me motivated and out there.

3. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    I took a few beginner's clinics, CORBA & IRC included. Joe's clinic is more for riders with some trail experiences. I think his clinic does require riders who are able to ride 10+ miles over 1000' elevation. I always wanted to take Joe's clinic but I don't think he has the 2011 schedule set yet.

4. melster

melster Member

Software
    Would be interested in knowing the answer to this too.

5. melster

melster Member

Software
    Heh...that was my class:
    [​IMG] group.jpg

I remember that close call of yours. You were headed for an OTB onto that rock.

This was me rolling that same rock on my old Giant VT-One:
    [​IMG] rolling.jpg

I can clean Cholla now, not too fast (6:20), but at least I don't dab unless I get caught in a rut. ;-) Rock-it, I can clean, but I haven't tried to clean Lynx yet. I usually ride with friends that aren't the best downhillers, so I stop and make sure they haven't fallen over the cliff.

We're moving offices to Aliso either next month or April...we should get a ride in sometime. We've got a tiny group of friends who try to organize rides here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=371525524706

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

7. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager

8. melster

melster Member

Software
    Looks like he was the second guy from the left.

9. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Yeah, that was me--2nd from left. A little painful to look at that pic as I've lost 35 pounds since then... I also love the trail running shoes on platforms that I was sporting at the time too--in the OTB pic. I had a bad OTB in Nov/Dec 09 on Barham Ridge (user error) just before buying my new bike and taking the class and had just started getting back into mountain biking and had never done anything more than fireroads and non-technical singletrack (i.e. Telegraph, North Ridge, Blackstar, Peters, etc.). I was never able before to get comfortable with clipless, but gradually tried them out last year and now I feel the way more experienced riders told me I eventually would--uncomfortable unless I'm clipped in. Weird how our paradigm can shift so much. I love that about mountain biking--it challenges your entire body and your mind--to know when you should push yourself through fear/discomfort versus when you should listen to your body and mind; definitely a delicate balance.

10. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Starting out I never took a bike skills class.......but I wish I had......I think it would have saved me from numerous endos and I probably would have been riding technical trails much faster.

11. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    ++++ Joe's class is worth every $. Joe adjusted the suspension, brake levers, etc and that alone was worth the cost. +++++

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Joe's 'hucking' and jumping skills will amaze you - Nothing here he can't clean, even if it means trials-style bumps UP big drops.

As for his availability - email him and get some friends together, he'll set a date for you. Maybe an STR come play with Joe day.

13. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Here are some useful e-mail addresses for three guys doing a good job with clinics. The middle one is Julius Syvanen, although I haven't heard from him in awhile. Maybe he returned to Finland to chase Matti Lehikoinen. I don't think they would mind me posting their addys, since this is one way they supplement their income.

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  14. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
  15. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I looove Gooseberry, (see Avatar) but it won't teach you anything about cornering, speed or climbing chunky, loose stuff. The traction is a given. What it does test is your ability to go up and down really steep stuff. It's great fun, and it changes you for sure, but I submit the skills you learn at Goose are not particularly transferrable to So Cal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

When my wife and I first started dating, her first mountain bike ride was at the Fullerton Loop. Her second mountain bike ride was Gooseberry Mesa, and her third ride was the Slickrock trail in Moab. Near the beginning of riding at Gooseberry she had what looked like it could have been a bad fall. She got up, laughed, and we kept going. That's when I knew she was a keeper. Honestly, I think that "fun" trip is what got her hooked on mountain biking.

We've since been to Gooseberry several times, but after she spent some time at the BMX track, her riding at Gooseberry was greatly improved on the next trip.

I kind of disagree with herzalot. The ability to be exposed to different terrain improves your overall bike handling skill. Many would not imagine riding the Fullerton Loop and BMX racing as training for DH racing, but it seems to work fine for me! ;)

However, what has helped my wife the most is being exposed to all kinds of riding conditions/situations.

17. herzalot

EdgeUCater

Curses! I must be agreed with... I'll just change my position like a politician trying to get votes. Gooseberry will greatly improve your bike handling skills and is a lot of fun in the process. The terrain is UNLIKE most of what we ride in SoCal.

Whew!

18. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Joe is an excellent rider and teacher. His clinic is well worth the time and money, especially for a newbie. Though I have ridden more years then I care to admit, Joe still taught me a few tricks.

19. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Love Gooseberry, one of my favorite all time trails. However, if you want to learn different skills at one locationl I suggest Downeville. You get cross country, DH, all mountain and mucho climbing in one setting.

20. Livepe

Livepe New Member

I have taken Joe's class (twice) and highly recommend his class. I took it with two different groups of friends, different levels. If possible, get a few friends together who are at the same riding ability.