Group Review: 2011 Marzocchi 44 Forks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, May 18, 2011.

1. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Lotta Miles Ahead: Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

While it's entirely possible to take this axiom too far, I take it somewhat to heart.

I buy my stuff carefully, and once bought, I keep it for a long time.

Case in point? Before the chance to review the Micro Ti came up, I'd been riding a Fox TALAS...since 2004.

While state of the art a few years ago, the '04 TALAS was getting a bit long in the tooth. The travel, at 120mm, was well-suited to many cross-country situations, but wasn't quite long enough to match the 140mm of my Intense 5.5. The 51mm International Standard brake tabs weren't stout enough to handle rotors bigger than 160mm. Finally, the 9mm QR used to be standard-issue but has been outclassed by newer through-axle offerings.

The chance to review the 44 Micro Ti was both an exercise in experiencing Marzocchi's latest all-mountain air fork, and an opportunity to fast forward to present-day fork technology.

First impressions were tactile, and positive. Extracting the 44 from the box, there's a high-quality feel. You can tell you're handling something with long hours of engineering behind it, coupled with high-zoot manufacturing capabilities. I didn't take the time to put the fork on a scale, but it felt impressively light despite the beefier dimensions of the 74mm post-style brake mounts and the 15QR axle system.

Attached Files:

2. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

The knobs and dials on the 44 Micro Ti are machined aluminum...not a plastic or nylon piece in sight! This is an important feature for me, and I take it as a sign of high quality throughout.

The shot of the crown is from the front. On the back side, there's also an indentation that allows you access to the underside of the headset's crown race. Very cool, and it shows that Marzocchi has engineered a fork that's designed to be easy to work on.

The same goes for the fork legs next to the wiper seals: pry slots again make it easier for tools to get a bite.

Another slick feature is the brake hose hold-down system. It's simple and has two points: one uses a zip tie, and further down the leg is a two-bolt clamp.

Attached Files:

3. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Several features come together at the bottom of the fork legs.

The 74mm post mounts are strong enough to handle brake rotors up to 203mm.

The red knob controls rebound damping. Like the knobs at the crown, it's machined aluminum.

The 15QR axle offers much of the lateral stiffness of a 20mm through axle, but in a lighter XC/AM package.

Attached Files:

4. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Installation and set-up were seamless.

Over the years I've collected enough tools to install a fork the right way: a real saw guide, star nut setting tool, and so on. I've also got a 4-inch bench vise that I C-clamp to a sawhorse when it's time to use it. My "shop" is at once transitory and makeshift: tools and parts pulled out and set up in the back yard, then stashed away again when the wrenching session is over.

Marzocchi included a pump, star nut, and headset top cap with the fork.

The 44 Micro Ti comes standard at 150mm travel, but includes a spacer to reduce the travel to 130mm. I had requested that the travel be reduced.

After reading the manual, I decided to start off with about 90 psi. The fork felt plenty plush even at what I was sure was a high pressure setting.

I discovered that the lockout lever contacted my down tube when fully activated, even with the addition of a 7mm riser base plate under the headset. Chalk that one up to my frame's small size and slightly older (2007--yep, another long-distance part) vintage. The lever could easily be trimmed shorter using a Dremel-mounted cutoff wheel, but I haven't done this yet.

The next morning, it was time for a Turnbull session.

Pedaling up the fire road to the water tower, the fork felt buttery smooth. It responded to the small stutters nicely. I'd wait for the downhill to find out about the big hits.

The 15QR's benefits were tangible. Steering felt more positive. The bike felt more "flickable." On top of that, the way the through axle ties the fork legs together makes for less binding. Less binding means less stiction and a greater ability to soak up the small stutters.

I got to the water tower. So far, so good.

I've been down the "3 B's" dozens of times and have topped out at an honest 49 mph. This time, I kept the descent a bit below the boiling point because I wasn't familiar with the new fork. Even with the mellower speed, the fork slammed to the stops when I hit the transition at the bottom. Something was funky.

I extracted the shock pump from my pack and threaded it onto the valve. Air pressure had bled down--way down. It read around 40 psi. I added some air and headed for "A-Line."

A-Line went well. The steering and bump control outclassed my old fork. Suspecting the air pressure might be dropping with every corner, I took it easy over the big stuff. No more hard jolts, but I knew I'd best check in with the folks at Marzocchi.

Once home, I contacted Dino who asked me a few questions about what pump and what pressure I'd used. They were fair questions--it's easy to miss things sometimes.

Dino got in touch with Marzocchi, and the crew was all over it.

We're spoiled here in So Cal, and close proximity to so much of the bike industry is one of those spoils. Marzocchi is based in Valencia, and I was able to take a few hours and make the drive.

Attached Files:

5. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I was grateful for Marzocchi's quick service: an impending trip to Gooseberry Mesa left me with no time for down time. If there's a place tailor-made for testing an XC/AM fork, it's Gooseberry.

I pulled up to Marzocchi, and Bobby Acuna met me at the door.

Bobby Acuna's laid-back mannerisms belie what's truly underneath: the guy is technically savvy and an adept communicator. It was a pleasure interacting with him.

Bobby quickly extracted the 44 from my 5.5 and handed it off to John Herrick.

Attached Files:

6. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

If you want to watch someone work slowly and stumble through the task, you're gonna hafta look elsewhere! I had to stop Herrick in order to get the photos I was after.

Herrick replaced the shaft assembly and seal head in the air spring side of the fork. The updated shaft had a different design that looked more substantial. I was glad to see parts going in that didn't look the same as the ones that came out. If the new parts didn't seal the air leak, I'd need to scramble and re-install my old fork to make the Gooseberry trip.

While the fork was apart, I got a glimpse of the slotted bushings touted on the Marzocchi website. The slots allow lubrication to circulate more freely and are a big part of why the fork feels smooth over the little stuff.

You can also see the fork's namesake on the shaft. The coil spring is a titanium item, and instead of being a main spring, it's a negative spring which helps the fork overcome the seal stiction inherent to air forks and shocks.

Attached Files:

7. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Herrick put 90 psi into the air chamber before handing the fork back to Acuna.

Check out the slick fork leg holder on the workbench. I'm not sure where to buy a tool like that, but I'm pretty sure building one instead would be a fun metal fabrication project.

Attached Files:

8. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Product Innovation Engineer Josh Baltaxe gave me a sneak peek at a new Marzocchi 29er fork.

Among other things, it's got a tapered carbon steer tube and a carbon crown. Yes, it's light!

Attached Files:

9. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

The 44 Micro Ti features an adjustable-volume air chamber. This lets you choose between a very progressive feel, and one that aggressively resists movement the deeper it travels.

It's a cool feature, but the adjuster knob is very difficult to turn when the fork is pressurized. When I was first messing with the adjustments, I wasn't sure things were functioning properly because the air volume knob was so difficult to turn. It's best not to force mechanical things that resist movement--that usually leads to damaged parts and a damaged wallet.

I found out that it's just the nature of the beast. When there's air in the chamber, it's hard to turn the volume adjustment knob, period. Using a gloved hand or placing a rag over the knob makes it less painful, but Mr. Acuna let me in on some lesser-known info:

Marzocchi drills three holes into the adjuster so that you can insert an allen key and turn the knob with said key. The pin from a chain tool fits quite well, too.

Once you use a tool on the knob, it's downright reasonable to turn. You can feel the difference between the click detents and the ends of the adjustment range. Once you get to the ends of the adjustment range with the tool, don't force the knob!

My wish list includes better info about setting up the fork, both in the owner's manual and on Marzocchi's website. Making more setup and tuning info readily available would make for better-informed riders and better-performing bikes.

Attached Files:

10. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

This cascade is just off of I-5 on the way to the Marzocchi HQ. A detour to check it out was in order on the way home.

You're looking at the lifeblood of Los Angeles. This is the Los Angeles aqueduct that brings water from Owens Valley and has done for almost a full century. On November 5, 1913, William Mulholland ushered the water down the cascade into our collective water faucets. His words at the ceremony? "There it is. Take it."

Yeah, this is a tangent, but it's a relevant one. If we didn't import water to SoCal, most of us couldn't live here and enjoy the climate and the trails.

Attached Files:

11. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Those using fork-mount roof rack trays need an adapter to use a through-axle fork with existing bike trays.

Hurricane Components' Fork Up makes the connection between new-style forks and traditional-style bike trays.

Attached Files:

12. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Gooseberry Mesa was its usual awesome self. In my slightly biased opinion, it's just as cool as Moab and at half the driving time it's that much more attractive. Techincal slickrock intersperses with tree-dodging and the occasional sand pit.

How did the fork do? First of all, it held its air and has continued to do so. I haven't checked the pressure for several weeks now and the fork doesn't feel any different. I'll check it again soon just because it's a good idea to do so.

The difference between 120mm and 130mm of travel sounds small, but it's actually significant. Small jolts get flattened, and bigger hits are handled with relative ease. Don't mistake the 44 Micro Ti for a freeride fork, though. Marzocchi puts a sticker right on the fork that advises of the XC/AM intended use. It's built light for epic rides across choppy terrain. It's not built for big hucks and drops.

I'd still like to try this fork at 150mm, imagining it will be that much more plush.

Anything else for the wish list?

There's one thing: I wish I could change the travel settings on the fly. I don't need fine tuning, just a way to shrink the travel for steep climbs. Being able to quickly select 150mm, 130mm, and 100mm would be an exercise in euphoria.

Final verdict? I'm stoked. This fork is staying on my bike. There are many miles ahead for the 44 Micro Ti.

P.S. There's more to tell about Gooseberry. Separate ride report to follow soon.

Attached Files:

13. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

5/9/11: The crew was informed it was time to begin formulating their thoughts. I ended the letter by reminding them it was our duty to post HONEST reviews!

5/18/11: One by one the reviews were posted.

5/18/11: After reading them, it became clear the review I had written was absolute junk! While others were being honest, I was fixated on political correctness. I refused to mention the names of competitors. I referred to my PIKE as my “current” fork, rather than referring to it as the best fork I have ever owned! Note to self: When you have to re-write a review 50x’s, it’s not coming from the heart!

5/19/11: Removed the test fork. Reinstalled my Pike. Made my way to the Loop (ride with the Thursday Night Crew). Ten minutes into the ride, I came to the realization there were things I really liked about the Marzocchi. Shortly thereafter, I asked myself the question I should have asked all along, “Is the 44Rc3 better than my Pike?” Here's what I came up with...

Fork Tested: Marzocchi 44Rc3 Ti (coil)
    Category: All Mountain
    Weight: 4.3lbs. (w/axle)
    Warranty: 3 years
    Specs: 150mm. Open Bath. Rc3. Air Preload. Titanium Coil Spring. Nickel-plated stanchions. QR15 Axle.

Appearance: Absolutely stunning!
    The metallic gray paint, simple decals, nickel-plated stanchions, dark accent colors, anodized and machined knobs can best be described as clean and classy! The Pike looks dated next to the 44Rc3. Attention Fox: “I am not a fan of your GOLD Kashima coatings. Fox has lost me as a customer until they replace the GOLD stanchions with a more subdued color.” (Advantage Marz)

Parking lot test:
    The 44Rc3 was the most buttery-smooth (brand new) fork I have ever tested. It had less stichion than my Pike and less stichion than my buddy’s Float- by a wide margin! (Advantage Marz)

Set-up:
    No surprises. Knobs were easy to use. Took 30 seconds to get the fork “close” to where I wanted it. I was not a fan of the air preload chamber. Adversely affected the way the fork felt. I’m sure heavier riders will appreciate this feature. I had little use for it. Adjusting the Pike’s settings have become second nature to me. (Advantage Pike)

Climbing:
    I was very impressed with the 44Rc3’s ability to tackle rocky/technical climbs! Twenty minutes into my first Chantry ride, it became apparent the 44Rc3 completely out shined the Pike with regard to small bump compliance. While the Pike made it’s way over/through obstacles, the 44Rc3 soaked them up (felt like I had reduced tire pressure by 5-10psi). The Pike gets the nod on long and standing climbs. Call me crazy, I honestly believe this is the one time a tiny bit of stichion is a good thing. And yes, I did experiment with compression/rebound settings! (Technical Draw)

Cornering: The 44Rc3 had more cornering grip than the Pike! I knew the fork would hold its line. Small bumps were swallowed-up by the Marzocchi. The Pike had less brake/corner dive. It also had a more solid feel (I prefer heavier forks… the Pike weighs 3/4lb. more than the 44Rc3). Due to the fact most riders prefer lighter forks … (Advantage Marz)

Descending (general):
    Simply amazing!
    The improvement over the Pike was most evident while riding the section of Chantry (after the cabins). Small bumps were ABSORBED by the Marzocchi. The Pike felt like it was going over the bumps. The 44Rc3 made me want to soak-up (and/or float over) obstacles. I felt more comfortable plowing through them with the heavier Pike. As much as it pains me to say… (Advantage Marz)

Descending (high speed): Those who have ridden the first section of 7th Street (or flown down the 3b’s at Turnbull) will tell you these trails can be fast, rocky and (oftentimes) rutted. At speed, the 44Rc3 deflected less, had more grip and tracked straighter than my current fork. The Pike felt more stable (20mm axle… 3/4lbs. heavier). Even with a tiny bit of deflection, I felt extremely confident descending the Pike at high speed. Marzocchi lost points in part to an annoying chatter that occurred when the trail got bumpy AND fast (at he same time)! Everyone’s first thought (including mine) was my settings were wrong! A second reviewer AND Monstertiki had the same gripe. In retrospect, I should have 1) had the fluid level checked 2) made a call to customer service. If this problem falls into the “fixable” category, it won’t affect my opinion of this fork in any way. (Advantage Pike)

Small bump sensitivity: If set-up correctly, the 44Rc3 handily outshines the Pike in this department! End of discussion! (Advantage Marz)

Stiffness: One of the things I most like about the Pike is its solid feel. This can be attributed in part to the 20mm axle. I’m sure the Pike’s added weight has something to do with it as well. It’s no secret, I prefer heavier forks. They feel more stable at speed. I also feel more comfortable when using the fork as a battering ram- we've all done it! (Advantage Pike)

Warranty: Marzocchi’s 3 year warranty is second to none! (Advantage Marz)

Wish List:
    I was less than impressed with the manual that was included with the fork AND with Marzocchi's website. Most of us are not mechanics. We need easy to find and easy to understand information. I'm a huge fan of SRAM'S Service Page (clean.. simple... everything can be found on one page... parts list.. tuning guides etc.)! I wish Marzocchi made better use of video tutorials! (comes in handy at 1am)

Open Bath... Nickel-plated stanchions...fitted and slotted bushing...
    If these features are essential to the performance of your forks, why is soooo little attention paid to them on your website? Hard to find. Very corporate descriptions. Did not inspire me- at all!
    [​IMG]

Had the 44Rc3 been equipped with a lockout lever, the phrase “Holy Grail of All Mountain Forks” would have appeared somewhere in this review!

I am not a fan of the QR/15/20mm battle!
    I do not own a 15mm wheel. Most of the STR members I asked do not have them either. If we must deal with competing standards, is it too much to ask that our wheels be equipped with convertible hubs?

One of the demo (test) forks was missing a manual / valve adapter. Another was shipped with a mangled (fork leg) sticker.

Early Birthday Present:
    Due in large part to a few bmx / trail incidents, I decided to stop jumping my bike. Reason: I lost all confidence in the Pike. I swapped springs. Rebuilt the fork. Adjusted settings. Studied photographs and video. Nothing! First attempt on the 44Rc3, and I knew my problems were solved. My approach was straight. The bike stayed straight in the air. Landed straight. Held its line when I landed. I don’t expect you to believe me… Would not have mentioned it had it not been true!

Have I chosen a winner?
    The HONEST answer is no! If I must choose a winner based on performance (i.e. buttery-smooth feel / grip / small bump compliance / front wheel tracking), the Marzocchi 44Rc3 clearly outshines the Pike. With that said, there is something about the Pike that I really like. Not ready to turn my back on it... just yet!

Would I recommend the 44Rc3 Ti? Absolutely!

Would I purchase one?
    Very good chance you will see one on my next bike!

:beer:

14. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    I have a few questions for the reviewers as I'm in the market for a new 150mm fork for a 26er'.

1. I've been really curious to find out just how much less bushing friction was attained by going to the slotted bushings. Does anyone have any data?

2. Does the damper circuit have separate high and low speed adjustments? If so, does anyone have the metering increments? Threshold pressure for the separate ciruits?

3. Is the damper assembly tunable?(removable shims?)

15. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Great questions, and ones I wish I had all the answers to.

As for the bushings, I can tell you that there's the tiniest little bit of bushing play, so it seems that there's a bushing stiction factor of about nil. You really have to be looking for the bushing play to notice it.

When I visited Marzocchi, they told me that they could've set the forks up with tighter bushings, but the drag would've increased at the same time. Smoothness was the first priority.

On the 44 Micro Ti, the compression circuit has fine tuning on the dial, and a four-stage adjuster on the lockout lever. The compression dial's setting affects the lockout lever's damping. Low compression force on the dial means the lockout lever's not going to exert as much lockout force, even when you rotate it to the full lockout position.

There's one knob for the rebound adjuster, with no separate external adjustments for high- and low-speed damping force.

I didn't see the inside of the damper, only the air spring side. I think Marzocchi's Bobby Acuna could give you the exact answers you're looking for. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address.

16. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Freeky:
    As you are painfully aware (from the 2,500 questions I have asked you over the years), I am NO mechanic! I'll answer the following questions the best I can (I asked a lot of questions)

17. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

Curious, did anyone test this fork in full 140mm configuration - 44 Micro Ti Air 29er?

I'm be very interested in a review of that fork in full travel configuration. I have a bike that can run this fork @ 140mm, I'd be happy to test it ;)

18. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

The travel-adjusting spacer drops it from 150mm to 130mm, so the spacer would have to be modified to run it at 140mm.

I'd like to try it at 140mm as well, as that would be a perfect match for my frame--Intense 5.5, 26-inch wheels.

19. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Nice reviews I just cant get over those bling bling stanctions....I was never a fan of chrome/nickel

20. reerun

reerun New Member