Road Ride Report First Road Ride

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Draheim18, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Today, I was finally able to have my first road ride. I have been waiting to try road riding for several months now. I was excited because my brother was graduating from college and bringing our older road bike home with him. It is a '93 Cannondale. I planned to fix it up because he said it needed work done. Unfortunately for the bike, it was left out in the rain at his college because he had no where to keep it inside. Upon arriving, I quickly assessed the damage, and quickly realized, that it wasn't fixable. Not only was the chain completely rusted, but the cassette and chainrings have spots of rust, not to mention it is a 7 speed, and you can't find quality parts anymore. So I decided to do some investigating to see if it could accept the 9 or 10 speed cassettes, but found out that it was only able to if you had someone widen the rear dropout several millimeters.

So I figured, I would try and find a job, save up some money, and buy a new one. However, my dad also wants to get a road bike, and offered to split the cost with me, and we could both ride it until I was able to pay him back. I quickly jumped on the opportunity since I would be able to afford a better bike. After doing some research, I concluded that I was going to go with either the Roubaix or Tarmac. So earlier in the week, I gave RnR a call to see if I could demo the Roubaix on Wednesday, but something came up and switched it to today.

I picked up the bike yesterday, road it for a couple minutes in front of my house. I also decided to pick up a pair of the Specialized BG Pro RBX Bibs. I couldn't fall asleep last night since I was so excited to finally be able to try it out.

Started my journey at about 7:55 this morning. My plan was to start at my house in Coto take Oso Pkwy -> Antonio -> RSM Pkwy -> El Toro -> Live Oak -> RSM Pkwy -> Antonio -> Coto de Caza Drive. As I started to roll out on Antonio, I thought to myself, this might not be hard enough (note that I have only ridden 1-15 mile MTB ride in the past 2 1/2 months). Before I know it, I had to stop and rest before my breakfast came up. After a couple minutes, I was back on the road hitting my next little climb. Next came a little downhill until I hit Antonio and it was pretty much flat for several miles. That went by pretty quickly and uneventful. Next came a little climb on RSM Pkwy, which was tough because I was starting to get tired.

Pushed myself on even though I thought I might stop, fall of my bike and die from the heat and not being in good shape. And of course, next came climbing the hill on Live Oak (the one we love to fly down after the Luge). That was a true test of what I really had because in certain spots in gets pretty steep. After that was a good section of downhill and flat so I was able to stay above 20 mph until around O'Neil. Next came the climbing portion on Plano Trabuco, which was also tough at this point due to the head and tiredness. After that is was pretty much flat back to my house.

Next step is hopefully buying a Roubaix next week.

Total Ride Time - 2:04:11

Total Distance - 27.5 miles

Total Time - 2:27:31

Averaged MPH - 13.33

Two things I learned:

- It isn't easy to maintain 20 mph like I thought 8-[
    - Road riding isn't boring ](*,)
    - It is a great workout which uses a lot less time than mountain biking

Some sections on that Live Oak climb are over 10% in case anyone was curious.

I also have to say that the Specialized BG Pro RBX Bibs were great. After getting use to wearing bibs, they basically felt like a second skin. The chamois worked great and the only reason my butt got sore was because the bike had a 143mm saddle instead of the 130mm (which is what I normally ride). The legs stay in place great, didn't have to adjust them once.

And a quick question: How do you guys wash your bibs, hand or machine? Any recommendations on the type of detergent to use? It says to only use mild, so I'm guessing anything that is clear and doesn't have a softener or a perfume. These were quite expensive so I want them to last a long time.

Thanks for reading. :)

2. j0ebert

j0ebert New Member

Home Page:
    I still don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to ride on Live Oak. Even when coming out of the Luge i try to keep at like 35 mph down that hill and i'm constantly looking behind me to the point where I almost crash.

3. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I went the other way, so I climbed that hill. I have never encountered or seen any reckless drivers when riding down from the luge towards Cook's or the other way when I go down Joplin. Maybe it is because the times I ride it, all the idiotic kids are sitting in class. All the cars that came up behind me today, waiting either until it widen out a little bit, went half-way to the other side, and/or waiting for me to say it was ok to pass me.

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Nice ride. Plenty of long climbs. Seriously, if you live in that area and can in Laguna Niguel, RSM, there's nothing but hills there. You'll get mad strong.

Question though, if you take OSO > Coto De Caza Dr. > Antonio can you ride on Coto de Caza Dr. or is that a private road only for residents?

Roubaix is a great bike btw. Hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, Joebert. That road can be dangerous. I've been buzzed coming down from the Luge by a 4x4. Also climbing Live Oak can be dicey. I noticed it's usually the little cars that are the worst. They seem to want to "squeeze" by you instead of waiting till the road opens up a little.

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Tried to tell you!

It was only a matter of time... (The kid loves to pedal/climb) :)

Was road riding easier/more difficult than expected?
    Anything you want to improve on next ride?
    Did the cars makes you nervous?
    How tired were you a few hours AFTER the ride?
    Do tell...

6. E-Man

E-Man Member

Oakley
    I wash all of my cycling gear (both MTB baggies and my lycra road kits) in the washing machine on the delicate cycle and use the dye and perfume free Arm-N-Hammer detergent. Then I hang them to dry.

Been working for me for close to a decade with no harm to the garments.

7. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I have never really look, but I believe there are signs that say it is trespassing unless you live there or are visiting someone. But, I highly doubt you will get pulled over if you not doing anything wrong so they won't know.

It was a little more difficult than I thought it was going to be, but part of that is also me being out of shape.

As far as improvements, just get my fitness back up to where it was, after that I look forward on long rides.

The cars kind of made me nervous at first since I have never ridden on the road like that before, but after awhile I got use to it. It is also nice that we have wide streets and bike lanes down here.

Right now I'm not physically that tired, but I'm sure I couldn't go ride another 10 miles.

8. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    I rode Live oak once. Never again. No shoulder and too many blind turns. Its a nice climb from Cooks and back down, but that backside is just asking for trouble. Be carefull through there and don't become another wreath on a tree.

In that area you will find Santiago a pleasure to ride. Newly paved, rolling climbs, great bike lanes, and lots of bikers to keep drivers aware.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

awesome!

Question, i too was between a roubaix and a tarmac. Ended with the tarmac. What for you, made you want the roubaix?

road riding is killer fun. You'll notice a biiiig increase in cardio and cadence when you hop back on the mtb. Your pedal strokes get pretty dang smooth! I've been on the roadie for only a few months and I totally dig it.

Wait till you ride with a group of fast people... totally different game. Suck that rear wheel as long as you can before you die! LOL

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Only a decade? More like a decade and a half...and that's only in the in the modern days. But I'd bet you did this as well in the late 70s/early 80s in your early roadie life...before those damned mini pickemup trucks. :lol:

Draheim18, glad to hear you're enjoying another aspect of cycling - they're all good! I see a BMX bike in your future. ;)

Remember, all forms of cycling compliment eachother!

11. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I haven't ridden the Tarmac yet, I was planning to next week, but after riding the Roubaix I might not. The position that I was in on the Roubaix was naturally comfortable, I never became uncomfortable at all today, even though it was my first time ever riding in that position. Another reason is that I plan on riding some centuries, and from talking several people at RnR and some others, they all said, anything in or around 50-60 miles, it is ok on a Tarmac, but beyond that, you will start to get very uncomfortable in that position.

12. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

haha, havign bought my tarmac at RnR, i asked about the centuries on a tarmac and was told i'd be good to go! (maybe they were just trying to sell a bike LOL)

3 centuries later, and i'm never uncomfortable. For me the difference in handling, and turn in made the tarmac a better choice for me.

Did you get fitted? THAT makes aaaall the difference in the world:bang:

OOOPS. missed the DEMO part.

13. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I didn't for this bike since it was only a demo. I probably will once I buy a bike.

They said I could do centuries, but for most people, it gets uncomfortable after around the 60 mile mark. Plus, my lower back isn't the best, so I'm thinking being in a more hunched over position might mess with it a bit.

I guess I will try and ride the Tarmac next week.

14. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    Very cool. I bought a Specialized Robaix at the end of last year to mix up my rides off the mountain bike. Although I hate fighting signal lights and traffic, it is a lot of fun getting in on group rides and riding in a pack. Enjoy!

15. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Dude, I am sooo disappointed!

16. MeAndMyBigWheel

MeAndMyBigWheel New Member

Student and other things. ;)
    Sounds like you had a great time. The road can be addictive. Actually, it is. :lol:

When you wash your road stuff, make sure you don't throw it in with anything that has velcro. The wifey once threw my mtbike baggies (velro pocket flaps) with my road stuff. #-oShe prefers to wash my clothes, but she won't touch my road crap anymore. :lol:

17. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Haha...:lol:

Btw, I can probably join you on some Wednesday AM rides now since I don't have class until 4. But it will also be one of my road riding days :lol:

Thanks for the tip. That came up a lot last night when I was reading some forums about how to wash bibs and what to wash them with. I'll most likely just wash/soak them in my bathroom sink with some detergent and warm water since it is quick and easy and since they are my only pair, I can do that 2-3 times a week without having to have a full load of clothes.

18. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I'm riding with these guys on Wednesday:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/racing-training/39551-whiting-old-camp-morning-shift.html

We meet at the McD's at 6:20 and roll at 6:30.

I'm planning of getting there a little early each week and will roll out at about 6:20 or 6:25 to get a little slower warm up than they typically ride.

C'mon out the pace is fast but it is a great ride!!

19. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    Great to hear you enjoyed your road ride. Wait til you start riding organized centuries, and get the satisfaction of seeing 102 miles on your Garmin or 15,000 feet of climbing in one day. It is addictive, every one of my friends that started riding is still in it, and doing it regularly. It is also a great way to cross train for mountain biking, you will love both sports, they each have their own pluses.
    I also highly recommend staying off of Live Oak, it is not a safe road to be on. Much better to go the other way on Santiago Canyon, shoulders and wider roads. Plus you can climb Modjeska Grade and test your legs.
    Another great option that I ride all the time is the Aliso Creek bike path that runs from Aliso Woods entrance to Cooks. You are protected from cars for 16 miles, no lights, stop signs just a few people that don't know the meaning of shared use trail. But I will take these nuisances over cars any day. If you ride this all the way to the water plant out by Laguna where the paved road ends, you can do 35 plus miles.
    Ohh yeah, and make sure all your stuff matches, kit, sunglasses, bike, and you gotta LOVE ADIDAS. J/K Inside joke from our ride yesterday.:wave:

20. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    :confused: