Feeler: Group Death Ride w/ Plenty of Climbing

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by S54MCoupe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

We'll start at my place on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena, just a few blocks east of PCC (Pasadena City College) and head West on Colorado Blvd, making a right onto Orange Grove, a quick left on Holly until we make a right onto Linda Vista and a left on Lida Street. From here we'll do a short climb until we get to Chevy Chase. We'll do a bit more climbing on Chevy Chase and take a stop at the end of the climb to let everyone regroup. We'll be rewarded with a pretty fun, twisty downhill.

Chevy Chase will take us directly to Foothill Blvd, we're we'll hook a quick right and start the really fun part of the ride: North on Angeles Crest Highway. We can make a quick stop at the shell station if anyone needs to refill on water/gatorade. There are a few stoplights near the start, but after that it's nothing but uninterrupted climbing. Depending on how the group is looking, we'll probably climb to Clear Creek (approx. 9 miles) and take a stop to let everyone regroup, drink some water, eat some bars and do whatever else needs to be done. We'll keep riding another 4 miles (give or take) until we get to Red Box, where we can again regroup, hydrate a bit, and make sure everyone is having fun.

Finnaly, we'll make a right up Mt. Wilson Road and climb to the top. It's 5 miles (if I can recall correctly) and it's a pretty steep grade. We can hang out at the top, grab some food (if anyone brought any, I reccomend PB&J, apples and banans) and rest our legs for a few minutes.

We'll head back down and make a left onto Foothill Blvd. when we get to the bottom. If anyone needs more water we can stop at the shell station. We'll head East on Foothill until Oak Grove, which Connects to Woodbury. Head East on Woodbury, and make a Right onto Lake. From Lake, we'll shoot back to Colorado and call it a day.

I have no idea how many miles this will be, but it's gonna be a long day.

How many people would be interested in putting together a date, time and getting a group together for the ride?

Here's a route map I put together. MS Paint is the best.

[​IMG]

Red = Starting
    Blue = Returning.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  2. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Hmmm, i might be in for this ride depending on the date. Not really my style, but I need to get my climbing legs in shape.

3. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Rather than turn up to Mt Wilson from Red Box, if you continue up Crest Hwy, you end up at Newcomb Ranch (before the road closure) where they serve up some great food and music - and brew. It's a biker hangout but I always feel welcome there even in the lycra. Most of the bikers can't believe you pedaled up there. I think it's an extra 10 miles (or so) each way but well worth it.

Before the road from Dawson Saddle to Wrightwood avalanched, we used to ride from Palmdale to Angeles Forest up to Red Box, stop at Newcomb and then head over Dawson Saddle to Wrightwood and back to Palmdale. It was about 120 miles and 16K' of elevation but breathtaking beautiful and the screaming down hill slalom from Mt. High to Big Rock Creek at the end of the ride, alone was worth it. Sorry, couldn't help reminiscing...

4. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I would be up for riding to Newcombs Rance, but I would still probably do the Climb from Red Box on the way back.

120 miles w/ 16k feet of climbing? Not too shabby, haha.

I actualy did the ride today to see how it was. It's not too bad. The weather was AMAZING, and the traffic up the crest wasn't too bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2007
  5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Dave, Jessy, count me in. I'll probably need a week or two to get over this cold, but that sounds like a killer ride, one I'd love to do. I don't know about stopping to long for lunch though as my legs tend to stiffen up if I wait around to long.

Where you been David? How's ol Regis doing?

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I will do it too, without a very long stop. You know, Newtons laws. If I start eating i will just want to keep eating and not stop

7. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

And lets not forget about Murphys Law, either.

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I thought it was "A body eating tends to stay eating".

Jessy what date are you planning for this? I'm going to NASCAR on the 25th, but I don't want to be the one holding this up. Just pick your date and we will see.

9. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I'm up for doing it whenever, whenever works well for everyone else.

10. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    This weekend's out for me but Sat. 3rd might work unless my son has a soccer tourn.

I just picked up my new roady bike yesterday. Lynskey full custom brushed ti, dura ace, easton nt, 15.5 lbs. Only rode it around the parking lot at the LBS so far but it is supah fast and oh so sweet! Now just gotta make time to ride.

Mike, Reg is still flogging out here in the desert but not racing. I'm working too much and playing Dad so haven't been riding much. My son has soccer tourneys on every single mtb race I wanted to do this year (same as last year) sigh... Hope you're doing well and having fun!

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Unless another force acts on it, yep. Usually that other force is the bathroom calling!

12. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Looks like a killer ride!

Just be careful on the Crest and the road to Mt. Wilson. Way too many drivers going way too fast.

13. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Jessy I think I would be down for doing this or GMR on the 3rd.

14. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I'd be down, but I'll be in Death Valley. How about the week after Solvang?

15. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Jessy, can you ride on Friday's? Or anyone else for that matter. I have every other Friday off. I'm on this Friday but off next.

16. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I can ride fridays!!

17. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    You're Fridays off are my on Fridays - off tomorrow riding a 50 miler in Shadow Mtns. with STP come rain or shine. Fire roads and trails are all sand and sandstone so wet is good.

With enough warning I can switch my off days and join you.

18. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I'm probably gonna take next Friday off to rest for Death Valley. Let's plan on doing it after Solvang!

Awesome, we'll do something very soon.

I love riding in the rain. Last time I rode in the rain was up Angeles Crest on my Road bike... not so fun.

BUT, yesterday, we went up Brown Mountain and down El Prieto it the pouring rain and it was awesome. Plenty of water, dirt and mayhem!