Road Ride Report Fargo Street climb

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by genusmtbkr5, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Up and down every 5.4 minutes for 9 hours, even more... impressive?

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    It's not a claim but a fact. In 2006 when I set the record he and I were tied at 40 climbs each. I said that we were evenly matched and I would be happy to call it a draw. (I think his family was asking for him) but he refused and said we had to go on!
    OK said I. On the very next climb he cramped up and was done for the day. I just went on to the next round number (50) and stopped so the official counter could go home. :)

If 2007 I was ready for another battle. When I arrived he had arranged an early start (officially 9AM) and had a lead. Oh sh!t. We did our thing until the Wheelmen said time's up.
    Steve had 90 climbs and I had 82 (with less time). With more time 100 would be easy.

In 2008 Steve did his 101. I had a broken neck that year. I put on a hoodie over my apparatus and did a token 4 climbs.

In 2009 I had a lead at 30 climbs when the police arrived. They had a noise complaint from one resident and shut us down. (grrrr)

3. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    Dude, I could totally do 102.

[​IMG]

;)

4. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

I couldn't. That is both a claim and a fact.

5. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
  6. SCVKickstand

SCVKickstand New Member

Actually tried this two years and it was an total disaster. I was totally out of shape and not even a little prepared for the incline. My buddy on the other hand cruised up like it was no big deal....twice on his MTB. Its all good fun and Philippe's around the corner is the best french dip in California.

7. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Gene nice Job! ...looks like you were so tired you posted the wrong GL link... ;)

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to go Sunday and do it official cause I want a patch. Not sure If I'll do it on my road bike again or just go with my mountain bike. :-k

#-o Thanks. I edited the post, but here it is anyway:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=44290

I was tired since I did this after I worked all night. By the time I tried my attempts, I have been up for over 16 hrs and nearly 20 hrs by the time I posted this RR.

9. supralight

supralight New Member

money tree in backyard
    i tried last year on my road bike and only got 1/4 of the way up. (yeah, yeah i know i failed miserably) i couldnt keep my cadence high enough and to top it off my legs felt very wobbly making it incredibly difficult to stand. it was quite the humbling experience. i had been preparing in the hills of south pasadena to get used to the pain but the gearing was waay too high on that bike. this being said, if you want to make multiple ascents, i suggest bringing a mtn bike, preferably a 3-ring-circus, so you arent as fatigued, and have more confidence. this road is effin steep!! good luck!

10. 4xdave

4xdave #228

PLC Programmer
    :-k Is this why on google street view there are police at the bottom of the hill.

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Nice catch! Looks like the bike cop wanted to try his own climb. If you go up and down the hill you can see the bike cop at various place. :lol:

I wish I had a date for the street view but Google doesn't release the data.

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Ya Rocky Mountain Solo.

Haven't ridden any of the 7 sisters yet, but plan to soon. I'll check out 3rd street and let you know.

Ya I went straight up as well. Had to tighten my pedals so I didn't keep coming out. My gearing is 53/38 in front and 12/25 cassette. That day I was in my 38/25, but I didn't zigzag, but you can see where I did a bit. That's when I took a peek at my Garmin.

Picture 1.jpg
    I'll probably be there Sunday. Not sure if I'll do it again on my Road bike or may bring the SS and go attempt to go straight up. My gearing is 34/19 on 26" wheels.

Can anyone calculate the difference between that gearing and my road bike which is 38/25 for me. I believe the roadie gearing is taller.

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Your SS gearing is 16% harder even with accounting for the smaller wheel. That's a big difference on that steep hill especially for someone with past knee problems. If you ran 34x22 on your SS the gearing would be equal.

I don't know your crank lengths but every 5mm increase in length makes the leverage about 3% easier.

If you want to get a feel for the climb (adjust your stem, etc.), put your rear wheel in a trainer (high resistance) and raise the front wheel with a milk crate + 4" of wood.
    training.jpg