El Prieto at risk!/Station Fire (merged threads)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tedroy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. NRamzi

NRamzi Software Archaeologist

Avionics Software Engineer
    I don't believe that's likely. Until today there weren't any reports of injuries for this fire at all, nevermind back Wednesday when it originally started.

2. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    10PM edit. Can see from Pasadena/ Altadena a line of flames that looks like it parallels Chaney Trail/ Mt Lowe fireroad. But hard to tell in the dark...

From the vantage points I was at, could not see the fire's upper reaches- the Mt Wilson web cam shows lots of fire on the north slopes not visable from the basin.

Amazing that they are also talking about closures in Action and Aqua Dulce - they expect it to travel- what- 10 or 15 miles as the crow flies?

Edit- Altadena webcam at 10:30 shows fire just above lower Chaney Trail

[​IMG]

or click below for updated image

http://www.westphalfamily.com/wxdata2.html

3. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

I live right by Loma Alta park and the fire has not gotten near Mt Lowe yet (on the front side atleast), the back side it's close.... the fire was something else about 2:30 today.... Brown mtn. is toast, but I think EP might be okay... they hit that area hard with drops today to protect the houses right above it.... I'm on the 400 block of palm st and the fire is north/northwest of me and mt lowe and wilson are northeast of me.....

keep your fingers crossed......

4. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Eh...

... there was too much shade on Brown Mountain anyway!

... I wanna cry...:(

5. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Mandatory evacuations on Loma Alta (and to the north), between Lake and Lincoln. It's been creeping down the ridge line.

6. kanga

kanga Active Member

And we have an El Nino predicted for this winter.... not a good combo.

We have a day coming up on the schedule for trail maintenance on Ken Burton which was to be mostly brush clearance, but that won't be an issue for a while. As soon as the area is open, I'll be up there surveying trail damage and likely landslide areas that should be shored up.

7. Good_ol'_slappy

Good_ol'_slappy aka SB

Thanks everyone for posting. I was fearing clicking on the picture updates to see the carnage of our backyard. It leaves me - and esp my fellow SGV crew - feeling at once sad and helpless.

I damn well hope it doesn't continue East over to Sturtevant Camp.

The picture from HB is nuts.

[​IMG]

8. GravityGear

GravityGear New Member

Bike Tech
    this is terrible. most of my coworkers are preparing for their evac order. i am greatly saddened by this. just drove back home from lake view terrace and the fire has grown rapidly. just got a text from a friend and the fire is right at the top of oceanview blvd. looks like homes will be burnt.

9. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

To give people a perspective how large this fire is, it's now threatening the town of Acton to the North. If you look at a map, ACH in La Canada (where the fire started) and Acton is a long ways apart. I watched the fire flair up in the canyon yesterday and it traveled 2 miles to the east in minutes. It looked like it was about to overtake Mt. Wilson but it didn't. Back side of Wilson and the Gab are most likely all gone. Now it's threatening tons of homes in La Canada, La Cresenta, Tujunga and Acton. Hard to get your brain around something this big. I'm not looking forward to seeing the aftermath and the destruction it created along the way. With time, it will all return but still sad seeing it. I woke up today thinking the fire somehow moved to Sierra Madre but that's not the case. It's just very smoky and eerie outside. Let's hope it doesn't touch any homes in the foothills. 20,000 acres burned (so far) and 5% containment isn't very encouraging.

10. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    the fires suck for us, but they have been a part of life for millions of years. it will be greener and prettier once we wait and allow the mountains to rehab. that said, it royally blows that it hasnt been contained yet. i can barely breath here in la.

11. CalEpic

CalEpic member

It's hard to imagine the scope of this monster. Truly a sad event for anyone that enjoys these mountains.

12. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    With the fire comes down trees and ash, with the likely el niño coming comes slides and more down trees possibly removing trails altogether. This is not good, but it gives all the possible hundreds of socalmtbers a chance to establish a concerted effort in restoration of the trails we enjoy most. There is going to be alot of work off the saddle.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Wrong some of those Oaks and Sycamore Trees in the canyons are centuries old. So hopefuly the fire moved fast and passed under them.

Take a look at 2002 McNaly fire near Kernville, no trees survived and the conifers are not coming back. The climate is dryer now and the conifer forest will not return. San Gabs gets tons of rain so many of our trails will not survive the winter many of them like Strawberry Peak may need dynamiting to be reopened...this is tragic.

Dean

14. Impy

Impy Active Member

Very sad. Even though we know it will come back one day, very very sad.

We could see the pyro-cumulous cloud while sitting in our backyard yesterday in LA (mar vista). Insane.

15. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Let's keep this thread informative, constructive and all about the people who are threatened by current fires and the losses in nature we're all suffering. Let's avoid the pissing contests on who knows more about this and that. When the dust settles, you can all flex your John Muir muscles.

Here's an interesting time lapse video of the fire. 210 fwy. in the forefront...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1612804691?bctid=36007078001

16. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    So smokey today, I can't see the mountain. Anyone taking refugees at the beach? I'll buy the beer.

17. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

9 a.m. update on the fire...

An out-of-control wildfire in the Angeles National Forest has burned more than 35,000 acres and is threatening an ever-widening swath of communities from Acton near the Antelope Valley to Altadena in the San Gabriel Valley. Fire crews needed to cut about 110 miles (potential trails in the future) of fire line to stop the fire’s trajectory. The wind changed direction overnight, particularly in the mountainous areas of the Angeles National Forest, to a down-canyon wind, which pushed it toward some residential areas.

10:40 a.m. update: The northern flank of the fire is approaching the Acton/Soledad Canyon area, prompting evacuations along HIghway 14. The fire is two miles away from Mt. Wilson, site of communications towers and an observatory; crews are trying to cut brush in advance of flames. On its southwest flank, flames are still spreading above the 210 freeway, from Little Tujunga Canyon east of Sunland, through La Cañada Flintridge to Altadena.

Fires do create some spectacular photo ops (taken from my front door)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around 2pm on Saturday: This seemingly harmless frame turned into something 5 times as large in a matter of minutes...
    (Palm tree in the forefront is an irony to our climate and landscape)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heading quickly towards Mt. Wilson...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. VTVic

VTVic New Member

IT Guy
    That's where we're headed now...:?:

19. BH1

BH1 New Member

Art Director, Motion Graphics and Animation
    Pics I took yesterday afternoon from the 101 driving between Woodland Hills and Encino.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. airgabe

airgabe New Member

teacher
    I feel like I lost great friend!

I drove up ACH and the Sport Chalet, people were just snapping pictures of the fires during the 1-3 pm flare up.I took some pictures but from what I saw most of our favorite trails, canyons, peaks and landmarks are now scarred from this fire.I hope we as community will join the different entities and help rebuild the San Gabes as it will be years of hardwork to restore the ANF with 35K acres or 35 square miles of destruction so far. Here are my sad pics../Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0319.JPG/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0323.jpg/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0324.JPG
    /Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0337.JPG/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0329.JPG

/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0328.JPG

/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0325.JPG

/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0330.jpg

/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0337.JPG
    /Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0332.JPG

/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0338.jpg
    /Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0334.JPG

/Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0340.JPG
    /Users/airgabe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 29, 2009/IMG_0335.JPG