diesel owners. read it and weep

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 92se-r, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

I'm working with a company that has a oil filter system for diesel vehicles that:

1) based on the condition of you engine you will never
    need to change the oil in your truck.
    2) 33-35% more horsepower
    3) 30% more mpg
    4) zero NOX emissions.

We have had the prototype on a Ford F250 for a few years that back up the claims, and testing done by a independtnt lab and the United States Army.

stay tooned

2. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Dont forget, this is what I do for a living, I keep up with this stuff on a regular basis. Most aftermarket bolt on performance parts are built with a blatent disreguard to emmisions laws, and are designed with one thing in mind, making teh driver feel the car is faster. Funny part is, that most of the time is all you do is bolt on a new intake, bolt on a new exhaust, all you do is change how the vehicle runs at what RPM, giving an illusuion of more power.... when yo hit the Dyno youll generally see you have actually lost peak HP and torque.

Remember for best HP, Torque, and emmisions.... everything has to match up to run properly, be tuned to work together, and programmed to give the best results possible for each situation.... you change the airflow, you you need to change everything else as well, you give the intake less of a restriction, your now running lean, increasing CC temps, and increasing NoX emmisions

You want ot know how truly sensitive a vehicle is to tailpipe emmisions changes....... the rade of fuel will make a difference..... Here is the kicker most people dont realize...... Most cars on the road are tuned to be running 87 octane, when you go and run 91 in them, you are in fact increasing CO production due to running a slower burning fuel in a vehicle that is tuned to burn at a specific rate......... You dont see this as a problem too much with FI, because the PCM can actually compensate for that nowadays, But not completly being only a handfull can actually figure what Octane ans ethanol levels are in the fuel...

Ive personally seen teh Dyno results for what I have listed, a simple K&N cold air intake added to a chevy Colorado<Yes a CARB approved> was a significant increase in tail pipe emmisions.

I will degress again though, the few things that really should matter, are of coarse tail pipe emmisions, and vapor recovery. Obviouslt there are ways to make changes to an engine to increase horsepower, torque, sound ETC.... tube it properly and still blow clean out the tail pipe.... Problem comes that most will not worry about evap after that...... Alot of those non carb add ons also have a blatent disreguard for that as well.......One big thing they forget about is crankcase ventilation.... without it, you slowly build up and increase tailpipe emmisions untill you change oil next, while also effectivly shortening the life and durability of your engine....

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

And I have some ocean-front property in Utah I'd like to sell you.

Whatever the product is below, those claims are complete BS.

On another note, this thread has taken a major detour. Smog testing will only be done on diesel vehicles with a GVWR of less than 14K. Most of this talk of the shipping trucks is unrelated to the current smog testing requirements.

4. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT

Oh, oh.........do we get a free set of ginsu knives too?

Do we get two instead of one if we call in the next 30 minutes?:?:

5. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Well, i'll say this: i'm glad that i haven't yet done the modifications to my F250 that i'd originally planned. Would have made it a PITA to pass this new smog test, i'm guessing. More research on the matter seems prudent. :-k

6. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Zero NOX from an oil filtration system! I hear they're developing human livers that prevent flatulence as well! I eagerly await both!

7. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

So you obviously know everything about anything

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

And after a few drive cycles, the computer adapts and adjusts to the increased airflow so the actual emissions output becomes the same...just like the power - no real improvement other than throttle response.

Nope...just enough to know snake oil (or a snake oil filter?) when I see it.
    Stop drinking your company's Kool-Aid and you'll see it to, assuming you have any understanding how engines work.

9. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I can tell you two things that already tell me thats impossible.

1st...... Motor oil has jack shit to do with NoX emmisions

2nd...... its impossible to use a filtering system to eliminate the need for an oil change, anyone who has the slighest understanding of what makes motor oil work would know this already, but I guess I will give a lsihg adding to the thread for this note as well

We need to change the oil in our vehicles for one reason.... its not that the oil is breaking down, its the additives in that oil are no longer working to make the oil do what it is supoposed to...for example... the additive that makes the poil stick to the metal, the additive that controls foaming, the additive that suspends solids, the aditve that controls the viscosity......The oil itself is fine, it just cannot do its job anymore.

Oh and the thought that an oil fitler system can increase horsepower is just a joke......

I can stand back and see that is the only possiblity, I cannot see how it would be an addon system though.........If you would like to back up the claim, please add Dyno results, and some type of actuall info to go along with your claims....IE how it works

Absolutly on the snake oil..... Anyone remember the Tornado system you installed right in front of your MAF that was supposed to lower emmisions, and increase fuel economy?!!!!!

10. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

#1. This IS possible if the "oil filter system" is somehow cleaning the oil and replenishing the additives. Unlikely but not impossible.

#4. Also unlikely but not impossible if they figured out how to strip out the NOX and store it. The engine would still generate NOX but would not have tailpipe emisions.

#2 and #3. Yeah, pretty much impossible unless the "oil filter system" is adding something that provides energy. Even a zero friction engine would not see this much improvement.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

#4 is still impossible, the oil filter system would have to be cleaning the exhaust, like I said.... NoX has absolutly nothing to do with the lubrication system.

I have modified oil systems to increase horsepower and fuel milages before.... had nothing to do with te filtration, going back to the example of a 350 chevy motor..... Drill out and oversize the oil galleys, smooth and polish all oil contact areas of the block, including underneat the manifold, timing cover, and all areas from underneath, eliminate any area underneath the manifold that can allow for pooling of oil. Basically make the engine so that oil flows faster thoguht he galleys, and gets back to the pan as fast as possible. aloows for a mroe contorlled oil temp, less build up, and less strain getting the oil into the engine from the pan.......Def not as big as an increase as boasted from this amazing new product that is coming out though.....

12. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

How is the NOX generated?

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

NoX, is generated in teh COmbustion chamber of the engine, has to do with combustion chamber temps........ NO ENGINE OUT THERE USED THE LUBRICATION TO CONTROL CB TEMPS........ Nox is generated when CB temos reach 2500 degrees F plus<as read in my original post in this thread>

If your going to claim a product your building is going to power emissions, you really need to understand how those emissions are created in teh first place.......

Sorry, the Product yor boasting is completly a snake oil product, that most will swear by because they sepnt the money on it, and want to see a difference, but will never run it on a dyno to prove it....

Did I mention I have a BA in Automotive, and an AA in Deisel????? And that I go to at least a dozen update classes annually?

14. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Y-NOT: I'm sure you cannot divulge too much or you would have. Can you please answer these 4 questions:

1. Does your system add anything to the oil or it is merely filtering the oil?
    2. If a regular engine somehow had zero friction how much of an increase in mpg and hp would it have? (I don't know the answer but dirtymike and 2wheel lee probably do.)
    3. Is this a separate "bolt on" device or do you need to modify the engine also?
    4. Will this only work for diesel engines and if so, why?

I'm skeptacle but I believe that you belive it works.

(This discussion is getting way off track but it is an interesting debate and it is raining so what else is there to do?)

15. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Agreed......Im bored so its fairly entertaining.

Oh and for a more technical answer...NoX is Nitric Oxide to the X power on teh O content. So to add, which NoX is this system reducing? there is an almost imfinit amount of different Nictric oxides that are coming out of ALL ocmbustion engines, the hotter the CB temp, the wider that range is...<Parabolic curve I mentioned in teh first post>

Your number 2 question is a tough one, obviously with less internal friction your going to improve on Milage and poewr possbilities, I just dont think there is an actual answer to how much though, it will still be highly dependant on what the engine is pushing at what time...Idle with no load..... there will be massively significant increasesd in theefficiency of how the engine is running, but underload, that level of improvement will drop alot.........Obviously you want as low as friction as possible, smootherr running, consistant engine temps, cleaner running ETC ETC....

16. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

The tests were done, on a F250 with 200,000 miles on it, at the Mercedes testing facilities in Detroit. I am trying to get the test results. Volvo is going to be putting one of our units in a test truck and run
    it on thier track and thru the test lab.

Then you are the one that I need to be talking to, thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

This filters the oil better than 1/10 of a micron, thus reducing all of the "wear" particulates.

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

The side effect of that would be.... a filter that needs to be changed alot more frequently, and an oil pump that can withstand ALOT more pressure build up..... which unfortunatly would also add more strain to the enginespower needed just to turn over in the first place......

Im am guessing that to overcome that, the filter is a very large filter, with alot of surface area for the actual filter?

Still, how does one also overcome the need for the oil to stick to engine parts, thats one of the first additives to break down in motor oils, and how does the filtration system control foaming, and viscosity changes as additives wear?

Same principal applies to air filters such as K&N, while allowing fo more airflow, they also allow for a grealty reduced filtering......You guys ever see those displays that K&N puts out, the one you cah change the filter from a K&N to a standard paper filter and see the little ball go up further or lower depending on which fikter is in....... Try this some time... go tot hat display with two dirty ass chalkboard erasures's..... put in the paper filter, clap the erasures together in front of the filter, repeat for the K&N...... Youll note that almost ALL of teh chalk dust blows straight through the K&N and out the tube while the paper filter stopps most of it.

This also is why a GM fuel filter is changed at 25K instead of 50K.... SMaller micron filter offers cleaner fuels, but plug faster and need to be changed more often

18. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

This could be part of the answer. It is easy to take an inefficient worn-out poorly performing engine and improve it. This does not translate into the same improvement on an engine that is efficient and properly tuned up before the "magic" is added to it.

(Of course the zero NOX claim is still not possible.)

19. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

200k Powerstroke + tune-up + filtration system + less NoX = filtration system improved emissions.

20. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ever watch the Prolong commercials? I was actually involved in the making of one of them before while Iw as still in school.

First they do their bearing test with teh torque wrench.... compare their product to teflon additives, and to give the teflon additive teh benefit of the doubt.... they run it straight....HA... of coarse it wont work, they just removed the key part of what makes it work......then they run the old beat to shit 318 dodge motor, that has been magically treated with their product..... they abuse this motor till it can go no more........... in this order, remove oil..... remove water.....remove valve cover..... dump dirt on running engine with no oil water or valve cover..... remove oil pan to show dirt inside.

What ajoke the motor demo is, first off, its a worn to shit, massivly out of tolerance barley running 318... no shit you can run it without oil and water, its already blown, and with such a short and loud exhaust, you just cannot hear the knocking and pinging going on..... Remove the oil...... Yeah an old engine keeps going, remove the water,,,,, yeah teh heads were probably already warped anyways... pull a valve cover and run dirth thtough the engine to prone how much this product really lubes..... BULLSHIT...... WITH NO OIL< THE DIRT CANOT GET INTO THE BEARING SYSTEM ON THE ENGINE ANYWAYS!!!!!

Funny during the commercial, they took the oil pan off to show dirt in the pan, but the absolutly refused to pull a rod cap, or a main cap to show how there was no damage"as they claimed"and that it was still lubing with dirt in the bearings<but couldnt prove the dirt was actually there>

Presentation can mean everything for a product. how much money a consume spent on that product can have huge influence to their perception of how good it works as well